XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Runs but Randomly Stalls on Acceleration???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 1998 XJ8 Runs but Randomly Stalls on Acceleration???

Hello,

I have a 1998 Jaguar XJ8 that has a problem running.

Ok so here is the story... I bought this Jag with a bad fuel pump. Changed out that fuel pump and flooded the engine which caused it to backfire out the intake and blow the air duct and cleaner box lid with MAF sensor right off the engine. I un-flooded the engine and it started right up, so I took it for a test drive. Everything seemed fine brakes, transmission, engine, did some hard starts took it up to 50MPH (Couldn't go any faster on that road) and then it says "Low Oil Pressure" and a check engine light so I pull over and check the oil it's low but still on the stick. So I drive to the auto parts store not to far away and top off the oil. Then barrow a scan tool and check the codes I get a P0102 "Mass or Volume Air Flow circuit Low Input" and a P0112 "Intake Air Temp circuit Low Input"

At this point I figured those codes might have been from when I first got it started and didn't have the sensor plugged in or connected. (On the test drive I had reinstalled the MAF sensor and air duct) so I clear the codes.

I leave the auto parts store, engine seems just fine so I think i'll take it out on a highway and see how it runs at 70MPH. I needed to drive about 15 blocks to get out of town and on my way the engine dies. So I pull over and it restarts just fine I go about another 4 blocks and it dies again.

Every time it dies it will start right back up but it won't rev past 4K RPMS (It revs up to 4100 RPMS then stops there and drops like you let off the pedal, then it stalls)in park or neutral. And in drive it won't accelerate past 1500 RPMS I was able to limp it home at about 2MPH.

So the next morning I clean the MAF sensor and the car starts right up.
And again every thing seems just fine it revs to 7K no problem drives great and then after about 15 mins of driving it does it again (Stalls won't rev past 4100 rpm) only this time I have a laptop connected to OBD II with a live feed of air rate going threw the MAF. As soon as it stalls I look at the line there was no dip or anything look like it was reading just fine.

I wait 30 mins and then restart it drives fine and I take it home.

I have checked the TPS voltage and at idle it's 0.91 and at pedal floored it's 3.67 can anyone tell me if this is good?

All this time it has not given me any more CE lights or codes.

I'm sorry I about the long post. Let me know what I should check next.

I'm guessing I need to check coil plugs to see if they are all working.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, I'd love to get this thing on the road.

~Valiant

Old 08-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Does anyone know of a way to test the coil on plugs? Ohm ratings? Something that doesn't require a special computer. I have scanned the OBD II there are no error codes.

~Valiant

Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

I too would love to know if there is a way to test coils with a multimeter...

Anyone?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM

Well Its fixed!

This is what it was (and anytime anyone needs to replace their fuel pump someone should tell them this) The fuel pump that went out deposited fine particles of metal in the tank and this clogged my brand new fuel filter.

I had to take the tank out again and clean it out (This should have been done when I replaced the pump.). Then let it dry over night and re installed it and a second new filter. It runs AWESOME!

I want to thank everyone who gave me ideas and hope someone else finds this useful.

~Valiant

Oh and a photo I took of the cat

The following 3 users liked this post by Valiant:
bonnequixote (01-16-2024), fredd60 (10-24-2012), plums (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Nice color. Looks like showroom.

Guess you mean the fuel filter sock if you had to take the tank out again?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Yeah, I cleaned the fuel pump stainer to but the inline filter is what was clogged.
I found this by replacing the filter and it drove perfect for about 10 blocks, then started doing the same thing.

After pulling the tank and cleaning it out with a hose I dried it best I could with lint free shop towels and then set it in the garage over night to finish drying. The next day I reinstalled it cleaned out the fuel line that goes to the filter and installed a third new filter. Spent about two hours driving it yesterday and it runs great and has a smooth transmission. Very happy!

~Valiant

The following users liked this post:
bonnequixote (01-16-2024)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fuel source

Valiant!
Try and find out where this unit was fueled in its life.
Then change to a "better" source.
Dirt in fuel tank is bad for aircraft too.
glad you're fixed!
Gary