XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Stereo Question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 1998 XJ8 Stereo Question....

All,

I have a base 1998 XJ8. The stereo in it is just the cassette player, no cd player or changer and of course no navigation. My question is this, if I purchased Jag cd changer for this, say from a junk yard or ebay, how difficult would it be to put it in? Is the car already wired and I just need to plug and play or do I have to also have the car wired for the changer as well?

What about an after market changer, would I have to rewire the care or can I just tap into wires in the trunk?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Assuming the wiring harness is there (and I think it is) you can add the Jag CD changer - they're usually available on eBay for around $100.

To check for the wiring, simply pull the trim cover from the left side in the trunk. The changer mount and wiring should be there. You'll need to cut a hole in your trim cover to access the changers face, or buy a cover with the hole already in it from a junk yard.

Adding an aftermarket changer would take a whole lot more work - your head unit communicates with the Jag changer via the AINet bus, and uses a Jag specific language - standard Alpine AINet components don't speak quite the same language. If the changer does not respond with the proper command sequence to the head unit, the head assumes the changer isn't there and disables the CD options on the switch panel - it tell's you there's NO CD, just as it does now.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-22-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Assuming the wiring harness is there (and I think it is) you can add the Jag CD changer - they're usually available on eBay for around $100.

To check for the wiring, simply pull the trim cover from the left side in the trunk. The changer mount and wiring should be there. You'll need to cut a hole in your trim cover to access the changers face, or buy a cover with the hole already in it from a junk yard.

Adding an aftermarket changer would take a whole lot more work - your head unit communicates with the Jag changer via the AINet bus, and uses a Jag specific language - standard Alpine AINet components don't speak quite the same language. If the changer does not respond with the proper command sequence to the head unit, the head assumes the changer isn't there and disables the CD options on the switch panel - it tell's you there's NO CD, just as it does now.
My man...thank you kindly. I will add the Jag changer and just get an MP3 player. I had purchased a 12 disk MP3 changer for a vehicle I used to own but never put it in and was toying with the idea putting it in the Jag because 12 disks of MP3's is a lot of music. I want a changer for the purpose of having a changer but I also see that I can just get like 80gb MP3 player and just call it a day. Thanks Quad...

Old 05-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

FYI, to add an AUX input for an MP3 player is not very difficult, just requires a simple mod to the CD changer... and there are several threads in here that describe the process in detail.

THis one is long, but has a LOT of good information: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ight=AUX+input

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-23-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
FYI, to add an AUX input for an MP3 player is not very difficult, just requires a simple mod to the CD changer... and there are several threads in here that describe the process in detail.

THis one is long, but has a LOT of good information: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ight=AUX+input

Thanks Quad..