XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I play basketball, football, tennis, soccer, you name it, I out run SOME of the younger kids.
I'm a fitness nut. I can tell you that 10 years makes a big difference but I can still run circles around many younger than myself. I hope to stay active for the duration of time I keep this jag which will no doubt be a very long time. ha!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM

I just went by shop. Mechanic had put parts together and asked if I wanted to see A drum. He pulled it apart and I verified it was same as picture on this thread. He explained that there is so much pressure in there, and part being defective, is why it broke. He said they had some transmissions with same part, but if they had used it in mine, eventually have the same problem.

Part was ordered from the link I found on this website.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Morpheus311
Let me just say this to all the Jaguar fans out there... only collectors should own them. Not a vehicle for every day use like I was hoping it would be.

I am going to get it fixed, put it in my garage, drive it on weekends. I'll drive my 94 honda every day... as I have been doing.
I'd like to chime in here. My wife has a 2005 VW New Beetle Convertible 80,000 Miles, and I've got the 1999 XJR 150,000 Miles. You would think it would be an easy guess which is more reliable. Well, believe it or not, we've spent WAY more time and money keeping the VW going than my Jag. I'd say that for a 13+ year old car, it's actually been QUITE reliable (They've gotten a bad rap). Yes, I've had issues here and there, but again, nothing like the bug. For the $4500 I spent on my car, and the 4ish years I've gotten out of it so far, I could not be happier. And all this time, I'm so much more comfortable in it than another car I could have been driving for the same money (KIA, 1994 Honda, etc... )

I too was going to make my XJR the weekend car, but I think that once you get it going again, you'll find yourself sneeking into it more than you think, and before you know it, that will be your daily driver...

Believe me, I'm SUPER sorry to hear of your Trans problems. I too would be in a jam if it was happening to me right now. But I believe you will come to Love the Jag again.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 PM

I too was going to make my XJR the weekend car, but I think that once you get it going again, you'll find yourself sneeking into it more than you think, and before you know it, that will be your daily driver...

Believe me, I'm SUPER sorry to hear of your Trans problems. I too would be in a jam if it was happening to me right now. But I believe you will come to Love the Jag again.
Your post was very encouraging and as I get closer to getting it repaired, I realize I was just blowing smoke. I truly enjoy driving it but will be somewhat skittish once I get it back.

I could go on and on how this is bad timing but we will get through it somehow and I believe the jag should turn out to be a great car.

As for the VW, I have heard much of the issues these cars have and have no desire to own one. We all live and learn! Thanks for the post. I do feel encouraged.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM

I called and A drum is in. Mechanics are about to re-install tranny. I was told there may be issues with the valve body but he thinks it should be okay. Shop owner said even a little wear could have an effect but they won't know until they try it out.

He said the re-manufactured drum from ebay looks good. I am worried about how much this is going to cost.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

It *should* cost the amount of labor you were quoted.

(not trying to be sarcastic, but since there was no additional work or parts needed- that should be the bill.)

Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM

I pick it up tomorrow somewhere around $3500.

I'll have to say that the excitement is somewhat bittersweet. I thought I had gotten this great deal on a older luxury car, had it 7 days, tranny breaks, and I had to go back to my 94 honda that needed brakes. I was going to put a cover on it but had to dole up $300 on it.

So, in 4 weeks I've had to cough up 8 grand I could have put on a newer car. Lawd hep me!!!

Last edited by Morpheus311; 09-25-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: can't count
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  19.3 KB

Keep us posted Morpheus

Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 PM

This was a family owned business. I'm very satisfied with their work and customer service.

The total for the ebay A drum(which he ordered per my direction) was $225 and with labor, kit, fluid, I'm out $3800. He said the drum looked really good.

So in almost 4 weeks I have a 1998 Xj8 with $7800 in it. I guess the codes need to be reset because it is now showing low coolant on the dash and coolant is full.

This afternoon I drove it for about an hour normal operation and it was fine.

The differential is full but they commented on it being wet. I'll have to get this checked out. I wish there was something that I could do to get rid of the bogus low coolant message.

I also need a fix for the broken drink holder.

I really like this jag but it has been a pain so far. If I can have it for over 7 days with no surprises, maybe I'll start falling in love... we'll see.

Last edited by Morpheus311; 09-26-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

............. I wish there was something that I could do to get rid of the bogus low coolant message.

I also need a fix for the broken drink holder.................
Expensive first month - the coolant level and cupholder are small change repairs in comparison!

Hope that's an end to major costs for some time and you can begin to enjoy it with confidence.

Graham

Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Do what I call the 'finger trick' unscrew the coolant cap and locate the level sensor float, slide it up and down the shaft to free it off from scale. You might have to siphon off some coolant to locate the float.
Loads of 'how to's' on the cup holder fix - do a search.

Hope this helps

Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Do what I call the 'finger trick' unscrew the coolant cap and locate the level sensor float, slide it up and down the shaft to free it off from scale. You might have to siphon off some coolant to locate the float.
Loads of 'how to's' on the cup holder fix - do a search.

Hope this helps
Excellent! I'll give this a shot. One other thing.

I got it washed and went to get fuel and found there was so much water in the canal around fuel cap, I had to sop it up with paper towels. I assume there is a drain that is stopped up. I felt and found what seemed to be a rubber/plastic cap but was not sure if this was it or not?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Excellent! I'll give this a shot. One other thing.

I got it washed and went to get fuel and found there was so much water in the canal around fuel cap, I had to sop it up with paper towels. I assume there is a drain that is stopped up. I felt and found what seemed to be a rubber/plastic cap but was not sure if this was it or not?
Yes, a known crud trap the fuel filler neck, there's a little filter that has a tube running through to the ground, if the filter is bunged up the neck will hold water, not good. To clean the filter, I use a toothbrush, you just pull it out (the water should then drain) if not, use a wire coat hanger to clear the tube.

Again, hope this helps!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Something to keep in mind-

I have owned somewhere north of 30 vehicles (all used) and without fail they all needed some "sorting out", after which they gave me many miles of enjoyment.

I think you will find that when your XJ is sorted out you will have many miles of serious enjoyment in a car that has intrinsic qualities beyond just performance and looks.
Think about it. if you keep it for 10 years it will have cost you less than $700/year which equals a $60 +-/mo payment. Can't get a bicycle for that.

For the record, the X308/X300 is my all time favorite brand/model-art on wheels.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Yes, a known crud trap the fuel filler neck, there's a little filter that has a tube running through to the ground, if the filter is bunged up the neck will hold water, not good. To clean the filter, I use a toothbrush, you just pull it out (the water should then drain) if not, use a wire coat hanger to clear the tube.

Again, hope this helps!
Thanks Sean! I was surprised to see all that water there but the way things have been going... I'm in the whats next mode.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Something to keep in mind-

I have owned somewhere north of 30 vehicles (all used) and without fail they all needed some "sorting out", after which they gave me many miles of enjoyment.

I think you will find that when your XJ is sorted out you will have many miles of serious enjoyment in a car that has intrinsic qualities beyond just performance and looks.
Think about it. if you keep it for 10 years it will have cost you less than $700/year which equals a $60 +-/mo payment. Can't get a bicycle for that.

For the record, the X308/X300 is my all time favorite brand/model-art on wheels.
You've given me something to think about. It is my every day car. It seems to demand me to keep it looking nice in and out.

It definitely draws the looks and it is an excellent conversation piece.

I look forward to "sorting it out" but I have absolutely no $$ more resources to draw upon.

My mother in law lives with us and she became too old to drive and gave me permission to sell her car about 5 years ago. I ended up selling it for $650. I couldn't even get it started. LOL! I now see that car all the time. It's pretty rusted out but someone is getting their moneys worth.

That is all I want... my moneys worth out of the jag.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM

Here it is in front of my work place today. It is in great shape!

1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!-img_0544.jpg

Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Sean,

I cleaned the fuel filler filter. Really nasty! Waiting for it to cool off so I can check the coolant sensor.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Question?

When tranny is worked on, are there any electrical wiring to mess with? Radio lost memory.

I can see the battery has been tampered with makes me wonder if they had to disconnect.

I noticed rust around bottom of battery so sprayed rubber sealant.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I'm sure they disconnected the battery to change the trans.
RJ___________
97 XK8 86K mi

Quick Reply: 1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!