XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad you got it back on the rode, happy motoring.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Jag status update

I'm glad to hear that you're able to get your Jaaaag fixed Morph, however, My luck hasn't been as positive. I'm moving in the right direction in that my Jaguar is back from the dealership, where they diagnosed the problem to be a completely shot differential. Unfortunately, they quoted me $3000 (!!!!) for a new differential unit, and $1900 for the labor.....
Because having a car is part of my job (delivery driver), I bought a used 2000 pontiac grand prix to pay the bills ($2500). Now that I am once again making money I have to focus my attention on repairing el Jaguar-o. What I'm thinking is getting a used differential on ebay motors and doing the repair myself. I have done all prior work myself so it makes sense and will save me $1900.
My question is this: How?
Any links or information on replacing a differential will reeeeeeeeally help me out.

-Thanks guys....

Old 09-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I too have had issues with high end cars. They are like life, you want to live large, you have to pay large.

My BMW is giving me fits, and My XK8 is learning to do the same. Enjoy your car and the looks you will get once fixed when you drive it around town.

I am looking to buy an XJ8 myself and I have no illusions that it won't cost me $$$$ to maintain it.

Sounds like all the other stuff has been done. Could have been worse, you could have still had to do the cams, brakes, etc. as well as this problem.

Best of luck, once fixed, like child birth, you will forget the pain and only know the joy.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinWeisert
Any links or information on replacing a differential will reeeeeeeeally help me out.

-Thanks guys....
possible assist?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-thread-68571/

The R and R of the rear axle isn't a biggy, just go slow, gather all tools req before you do the job. The diff can be bought cheap, all X308 diff's are the same, XJ8/R so it shouldnt be difficult to find the part SH.
Hope this helps

Old 09-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I discovered that the coolant sensor had disconnected from it's home and plugged back in. No more low coolant warning. The tranny mechanics told me about area around diff being wet. I took a look and saw more than I wanted. There was noticeable wetting in a 360 degree area around the differential. There is no leaking and the trans guys said when they checked fluid level, it was full.

This is now a concern and I know another costly fix.

I'm confused about the wetness yet see no leaking and full fluid. Any ideas?

Man this car is so clean looking and a joy to drive and I just do not want to feel nervous... so to speak, every time I drive it. I'd rather let it go than gamble with it having another major repair.

I know if I get it checked out, they will say we can't tell you until we get in it.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM

I am looking to buy an XJ8 myself and I have no illusions that it won't cost me $$$$ to maintain it.

Sounds like all the other stuff has been done. Could have been worse, you could have still had to do the cams, brakes, etc. as well as this problem.

Best of luck, once fixed, like child birth, you will forget the pain and only know the joy.
It has 133k on it. I would love to get 60k at least with no major problem. It will take a long time to get that.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Morpheus311
It has 133k on it. I would love to get 60k at least with no major problem. It will take a long time to get that.
I bought my XJR with almost identical mileage, now 149,665. Although the car was VERY well taken care of, I found out that it had been stolen during a test drive when it was for sale. That test drive was VERY hard on the car. They burned the tires completely off, and drove it into a barbed wire fence. That left some paint work to be done (done by previous owner), and the rear end needed to be replaced (by me). I'm guessing Reverse then Drive burnouts. All in All, I'm still very happy with the car. I got it for $4500. I've put in fuel pumps $220, a wrecking yard rear end $300, rear view mirror (was missing) $45, fuel door actuator $5, Auxiliary Heater Pump (wrecking yard $15), Power Antenna (broke in Car Wash) $35, a few bulbs $20, and some other misc items $100. Oh, brakes (4 rotors 4 sets pads $237.42) and tires $995, but that was due to mileage I've added. I've probably got $6,500 total into it now, but the best $6,500 I've spent on any car to date. I've owned around 100 vehicles since I was 13 years old, and I love this one as much as any I've had.

I've been tempted a few times lately to sell it due to mileage, but I cannot bring myself to do so. I'd REALLY miss the ride and feeling I get from it.

PS: The replacement rear end was Damp around the cover, but it does not howl like the old one. I've had a lot of damp covers on a lot of different cars. As long as it's just damp, and not loosing fluid, I would not stress too much about that.

Last edited by SuperSport; 09-29-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Bad Math!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I bought my XJR with almost identical mileage, now 149,665. Although the car was VERY well taken care of, I found out that it had been stolen during a test drive when it was for sale. That test drive was VERY hard on the car. They burned the tires completely off, and drove it into a barbed wire fence. That left some paint work to be done (done by previous owner), and the rear end needed to be replaced (by me). I'm guessing Reverse then Drive burnouts. All in All, I'm still very happy with the car. I got it for $4500. I've put in fuel pumps $220, a wrecking yard rear end $300, rear view mirror (was missing) $45, fuel door actuator $5, Auxiliary Heater Pump (wrecking yard $15), Power Antenna (broke in Car Wash) $35, a few bulbs $20, and some other misc items $100. Oh, brakes (4 rotors 4 sets pads $237.42) and tires $995, but that was due to mileage I've added. I've probably got $6,500 total into it now, but the best $6,500 I've spent on any car to date. I've owned around 100 vehicles since I was 13 years old, and I love this one as much as any I've had.

I've been tempted a few times lately to sell it due to mileage, but I cannot bring myself to do so. I'd REALLY miss the ride and feeling I get from it.

PS: The replacement rear end was Damp around the cover, but it does not howl like the old one. I've had a lot of damp covers on a lot of different cars. As long as it's just damp, and not loosing fluid, I would not stress too much about that.
Thanks Super! I believe I'm going to love this one the same as you describe which scares me because I feel I'll end up willing to fork out whatever it takes to keep it going.

You also made me feel better about the rear end being damp. Whew!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Thanks Super! I believe I'm going to love this one the same as you describe which scares me because I feel I'll end up willing to fork out whatever it takes to keep it going.
Um, yeah, that Might be an illness that comes along with these...

Old 09-29-2012, 07:57 PM

I said:
You also made me feel better about the rear end being damp.
Ha! I just realized this sounds like a baby.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 PM

I spent some time with the car today. It has been raining and didn't want to get it wet but it can always be washed.

It will definitely get up and go! All of the luxury amenities are more than I have ever had on any vehicle I've personally driven. I see how they can spoil you. This car rides and handles so well. I have no idea how to get rid of the rattles and really no big deal.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 PM

I have no idea how to get rid of the rattles and really no big deal.
Dash, Body, Suspension? Mine is really solid. After a windshield replacement, I had a noisy dash, but a small piece of black foam rubber did the trick. But I figure that was due to the installers.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM

I think it is right door speaker or glove compartment. The moon roof makes a noise also.

Small potatoes.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Fixed the glove box noise.

I am continually amazed at the complexity of this machine. Not in operating it but the overall build.

It is a 14 yr old car but it has more than I expected. Although I have yet to get the garage button channels working after much reading.

I almost wish someone would give me what I've put into it(8k) because I'm loving it.

I was not at all surprised when a Lexus made a stop just to let me go while waiting for a break in traffic where normally this did not happen in my old 94 Accord.

I truly wish I had about a $10000 dollar reserve for whatever issue may come. I'm so broke and this machine is almost scary fun to drive.

Man! I have people at work asking me about this car and didn't even know they saw it.

1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!-img_0544.jpg

Last edited by Morpheus311; 10-01-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 PM

When mine's cleaned up and shiny, most people are shocked when they hear how old it is...

Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

The garage door has a "learn" button on it- it needs to be pressed before programming the cars. I find people tend to get out of my way and are more courteous driving my Jag- the vw jetta of my daughters not so much.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
The garage door has a "learn" button on it- it needs to be pressed before programming the cars. I find people tend to get out of my way and are more courteous driving my Jag- the vw jetta of my daughters not so much.
Ha! I held 1st and last button down for a reset and it worked. I got it programmed!

I forget I'm in the jag sometimes and catch people looking at it.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

The diff has a little breather that can get blocked, this then forces oil out of the seal, change the breather for a new one and all will be well, it costs about $15.

The following users liked this post:
Morpheus311 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
The diff has a little breather that can get blocked, this then forces oil out of the seal, change the breather for a new one and all will be well, it costs about $15.
Great! I want to see if I can somehow get to it. From what I've seen here, not so easy. I've got a lot of wetness down there but diff is full. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a 98 xj8 that had several fault codes for the solenoids etc. A local transmission shop overhauled it for about $2,500 installed. This included
a one year warranty. This same transmission is used in BMW and Mercedes.
I had the valve body and A drum exchanged in that price. EBay has some shops that
sell with a warrant as another option.

Quick Reply: 1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!