XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

The breather is VERY easy to get to and can be disassembled, cleaned and put back relatively easy. I did it on two cars without even using a jack (used my hands and felt around)

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 115k mile jaguar xj8 transmission is going out. pretty positive. any good transmission shops in AZ?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lear45
I have a 98 xj8 that had several fault codes for the solenoids etc. A local transmission shop overhauled it for about $2,500 installed. This included
a one year warranty. This same transmission is used in BMW and Mercedes.
I had the valve body and A drum exchanged in that price. EBay has some shops that
sell with a warrant as another option.
I also got a warranty and was told they would replace valve body if ever needed @ parts cost only.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
The breather is VERY easy to get to and can be disassembled, cleaned and put back relatively easy. I did it on two cars without even using a jack (used my hands and felt around)
Ok! What tool did you need to get to it? I'll jack it up this weekend and go ahead and see how it looks.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

It's a small wrench- 5/16? It's on the top of the diff on the passenger side towards the rear. It's the little thing that looks like a button in this pic:

http://pics.eurochopshop.com/x/XABK/XABK123.JPG

You can pry off the "button" and clean it out- the whole thing consists of a nipple (much like a brake bleeder, a spring and a "top hat" which is bent to stay in place. Bend the crimps and it comes apart. OR pay the $15 or whatever and buy a new one- I just clean them out as a precaution.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
It's a small wrench- 5/16? It's on the top of the diff on the passenger side towards the rear. It's the little thing that looks like a button in this pic:

http://pics.eurochopshop.com/x/XABK/XABK123.JPG

You can pry off the "button" and clean it out- the whole thing consists of a nipple (much like a brake bleeder, a spring and a "top hat" which is bent to stay in place. Bend the crimps and it comes apart. OR pay the $15 or whatever and buy a new one- I just clean them out as a precaution.
This really helped. Thanks for the pic! I'm hoping this was the culprit for all the dampness.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

From what I understand, if it is clogged it creates pressure- causing the "leak"

Once cleared, no more pressure, no more leak. Probably want to spray clean the areas so you can tell if it continues to leak.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Probably want to spray clean the areas so you can tell if it continues to leak.
Pressure washer or gunk cleaner?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Either- just want it clean so you can see if it leaks

Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

just read this whole thread, glad you got your transmission fixed, and got the Jag back on the road

Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Safi
just read this whole thread, glad you got your transmission fixed, and got the Jag back on the road
So far, so good!

I truly enjoy driving it. The longer it runs without a surprise, the more comfortable I'll get. It has so many new parts underneath, it glides over the road. I'm very hopeful that I'll get many years of service.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI GUYS!!!!!
How sweet it is!!!!
Dsnyd, sorry bout ur trans. It is probably the "A" if, wen u put it in gear and it feels like it's goes in but "don't go nowhere". It may also slam into a higher gear wen the pressure is finally diverted, or "limp home" gear. Don't drive it as you can also damage the "F" drum. If you can drop a tranny, you can prolly change the a drum. Ebay has a reinforced (so they say) drum fr $120. You need to save and clean all parts and re-install them. What happens is, the pressure from the piston that locks down the clutches wears it's landing and splits the drum along the top of the drum, so the clutches ride too high to engage becoming ineffective.
If you need to, keep in touch and one of us can prolly help.
I've coined the phrase, "Its simple but not always easy"
Steve

Last edited by smagl; 10-10-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Didn't mention snap ring wears drum landing
Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is, the snap ring that holds the clutches etc. in.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leon

Hi guys, I'm a newbie on the block, drove a '98 Jag XJ8 lwb, a friend with a '98 Jag XK8 needed a family car, we swopped with a sizable cash input on the XK8. Problem is that one of the oil cooler pipes chafed through, oil was lost, no "oil low" sensor or other warning system, transmission was toast! Professionally rebuilt but "slipping" in 5th gear only! Repairers are unable to diagnose fault or correct the problem.

Can the problem be the "A" drum, or is it some other problem affecting ONLY 5th gear?

I would love to have my car back on the road for the festive season.

Thanks in anticipation

Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Morpheus311
So far, so good!

I truly enjoy driving it. The longer it runs without a surprise, the more comfortable I'll get. It has so many new parts underneath, it glides over the road. I'm very hopeful that I'll get many years of service.
Bad news! Tranny has started slipping and tonight it got gear fault and pulling away from a stop, it would barely go. I pulled it off into a parking lot and turned it off, started it back up and slowly made my way back home two miles away. Seemed to run okay @ 30 mph with just a little slip and gear fault went away.

I had to go somewhere so took family car and will check this out tomorrow. I cannot afford another drum and tranny fix.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Check fluid levels, do a hard reset and hope for the best!

Old 01-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Yaeh, I'm with Mr. Snyder-
I bet and hope you just have a fluid leak!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Morpheus311
Bad news! Tranny has started slipping and tonight it got gear fault and pulling away from a stop, it would barely go. I pulled it off into a parking lot and turned it off, started it back up and slowly made my way back home two miles away. Seemed to run okay @ 30 mph with just a little slip and gear fault went away.

I had to go somewhere so took family car and will check this out tomorrow. I cannot afford another drum and tranny fix.
Morph, I'm from Jackson if you need to source another tranny let me know. There's a guy with a small salvage yard that had a tranny (not Oscar Delahoya LOL! ) and two parts car 1 white 2001 vdp with dove/white interior and a 1999 carnival red with tan interior.

Seriously good luck with your car.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission slipping...

Hey, sorry to jump onto your thread, Morph. I have a slightly different transmission issue. if the moderators want to move this post to create its own thread, awesome.. if not, it seems there are some transmission savvy guys here so thought I'd see if I can get some help!!

my issue: bought this car a couple of weeks ago. got it running last sunday. after really enjoying the feel of the V8, doing some rapid accelerations, and giving the guys at the shop a drive around the block, thursday I noticed a slight slippage in the transmission... now, I never spun the tires or anything, just gave it a little gas...

I drove it to work yesterday. as long as I just give it gradual pressure, it shifts fine, all the way to 80 mph... but if I give it even the slightest extra pedal, it slips and bumps... hoping this is just a vacuum issue, or low fluid...

I plan on doing a fluid and filter change, but wanted to see if someone could list a chronological order to troubleshoot this.. with details of where to look for vacuum leaks, where to find solenoids, etc...

thanks in advance!

Jon

Old 01-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts
Default What a drum failure looks like

My failure was sudden as well. Stopped for gas on the way to work when I started the car and put in gear, slipping and codes.

What the photo shows is that the drum has a snap ring groove that is pressed and not machined. The sharp edges of the grooves allow stress to concentrate and a crack to start. The crack spreads in both directions until enough sections of the snap ring groove fail and allow the disks to no nonger maintain friction.

A rebuild to replace the drum will fix the problem.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ZF Trans Drum Failure.pdf (106.7 KB, 127 views)

Quick Reply: 1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!