XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by dolamyte
hoping this is just a vacuum issue, or low fluid...

I plan on doing a fluid and filter change, but wanted to see if someone could list a chronological order to troubleshoot this.. with details of where to look for vacuum leaks, where to find solenoids, etc...

thanks in advance!

Jon
I would suggest before you drain the fluid, try topping off the fluid level according to the procedures in the JTIS, i.e. running and in the correct temp range. Once you drain the fluid, it's hard to know if it was ever really low or not. Then, if you don't have any service history on the car, assume its never been changed and do that plus the filter. If you are lucky its just low. But since you don't mention having a "trans fault" on the dash display, I'd bet its not the dreaded A-drum (if the input and output rpms are not what the computer expects, it should throw a code). However, the valve bodies on these puppies is aluminum and all those little pistons in there subject to wear in their bores, particularly the main pressure valve. I suggest to get a rebuilt valve body with a Sonnax pressure valve upgrade.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
Morph, I'm from Jackson if you need to source another tranny let me know. There's a guy with a small salvage yard that had a tranny (not Oscar Delahoya LOL! ) and two parts car 1 white 2001 vdp with dove/white interior and a 1999 carnival red with tan interior.

Seriously good luck with your car.
Thanks! I'll keep this in mind.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 PM

Hey, sorry to jump onto your thread, Morph. I have a slightly different transmission issue. if the moderators want to move this post to create its own thread, awesome.. if not, it seems there are some transmission savvy guys here so thought I'd see if I can get some help!!

my issue: bought this car a couple of weeks ago. got it running last sunday. after really enjoying the feel of the V8, doing some rapid accelerations, and giving the guys at the shop a drive around the block, thursday I noticed a slight slippage in the transmission... now, I never spun the tires or anything, just gave it a little gas...

I drove it to work yesterday. as long as I just give it gradual pressure, it shifts fine, all the way to 80 mph... but if I give it even the slightest extra pedal, it slips and bumps... hoping this is just a vacuum issue, or low fluid...

I plan on doing a fluid and filter change, but wanted to see if someone could list a chronological order to troubleshoot this.. with details of where to look for vacuum leaks, where to find solenoids, etc...

thanks in advance!

Jon
Don't know what you have but this symptom fits mine to a T. As long as I took it easy, I was able to get it to the shop. Jag has been in the shop a week. Mike has not yet torn into it. He told me that if he were to go the way of the valve body, this would be very expensive. He is hoping that it could be solenoids and we have already ruled out the A drum since this was replaced with the upgraded one in 2012.

I'm no expert but pretty sure this is not as simple as a fluid/filter change.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Morpheus311
Don't know what you have but this symptom fits mine to a T. As long as I took it easy, I was able to get it to the shop. Jag has been in the shop a week. Mike has not yet torn into it. He told me that if he were to go the way of the valve body, this would be very expensive. He is hoping that it could be solenoids and we have already ruled out the A drum since this was replaced with the upgraded one in 2012.

I'm no expert but pretty sure this is not as simple as a fluid/filter change.
hmmm off 51, Mike the Benz and European car mechanic? That worked at the Benz dealer several years ago? If so he's a good mechanic and did work for us when we had the dealership and worked on my personal cars too...

Old 01-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Old 01-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Morpheus, were you able to accelerate all the way up to highway speeds? please keep me posted as to what they find! I'm still driving mine, haven't had opportunity to get mine up on stands in a level location to check the fluids... but as long as I drive it gingerly, I'm having no issues.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 AM

Morpheus, were you able to accelerate all the way up to highway speeds? please keep me posted as to what they find! I'm still driving mine, haven't had opportunity to get mine up on stands in a level location to check the fluids... but as long as I drive it gingerly, I'm having no issues.
Yes! However, it did not like stops. After exiting the interstate, I had to turn left to to drive up and over the bridge to the other side of highway and it immediately began to slip, go into crawl mode, and display gear fault.

I feel certain that this is NOT a fluid level problem seeing as this tranny was repaired and fluids replaced 2 years ago. I saw no leaks.

FWIW! I did notice for quite a while after getting new tires, there was a gear sounding noise(not grinding) in the front right area that I attributed to the new tires. So, when driving jag to the shop, I noticed the sound was missing.

The tranny mechanic has already agreed that there is a more serious problem. I wished after that 1st costly repair, I would have gotten rid of it.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 PM

ah. with mine, I can drive with absolutely no issues. it is only if I put the pedal down and try to launch off, that I notice the slip. the first time I noticed it, I did give it a bit of gas a few times, and only once did it give the gear fault. after that, I just gradually accelerate. I watch the tachometer constantly, and it shifts smoothly... that's what leads me to suspect a vacuum leak. the vacuum is what tells it that your request for power needs a lower gear. someone correct me and clarify if that's wrong... maybe a throttle positioning sensor.... anyway, let me know what your mechanic discovers!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:11 PM

on another side note, found a guy parting out a 2000 XK8. is the same motor in an XK8 and XJ8? he said it was wrecked, but running until. it had 80k miles. what would be a good price for the transmission from that car?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:55 AM

any update, Morpheus?

Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 AM

any update, Morpheus?
I called the shop and looks like they have been jerking me around.

After 2 weeks, he had merely replaced the light switch for gear shift console. He told me he thinks it made it worse. He made the comment that they would have to now pull the tranny again and then later back-tracked that he has not yet seen the internals of it.

I told him I need my car and he said he would get on it.

If he is trying to get around doing something based on the fact this transmission was worked on 2 years ago and maybe there is something that his mechanics did not catch, how am I to know?

He said there could be some rubber parts in there needing to be replaced. I just don't know what to think now.

I just remembered that last time, I paid him a visit after a few days and maybe that made a difference plus I hooked him up with a new A-Drum from Ebay so car was repaired within 2 weeks time.

I want it back and going to immediately put it on CL and any other place I can. I only want the money back I originally paid for it. $4K

Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 PM

Sorry to hear that... Hope you get some value for the car!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:42 PM

Sorry to hear that... Hope you get some value for the car!
It is the A-Drum again. The one that was replaced 2 years ago.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:48 PM

It is the A-Drum again. The one that was replaced 2 years ago.

And the issue you'll have; since you bought the part yourself, no mechanic will warrant it. If you buy the parts through the mechanic, they will usually give some length of a warranty, though doubt it would be two years... How many miles Did you put on the car since the last a-drum? Did you change the fluids after 30 k?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Was the valve body replaced also, or at least the main pressure valve? ZF changed the design a few years back to prevent damage to the A drum by pressure spikes.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:47 PM

And the issue you'll have; since you bought the part yourself, no mechanic will warrant it. If you buy the parts through the mechanic, they will usually give some length of a warranty, though doubt it would be two years... How many miles Did you put on the car since the last a-drum? Did you change the fluids after 30 k?
The mechanic bought the part last time and installed it. I steered him to the Ebay link for the improved drum. Besides, the part warranty was only 90 days. I put 10k miles on it since repair. Now, he has found a drum locally and may not be any better.

Hindsight! It most likely needed a new OEM drum and valve body work.

I like the jag and overall, it is still in good shape but I don't care for the headache. I think the only thing it needs now is a thermostat and coolant sensor.

It just didn't work out like I wanted it to. Driving 22 miles a day @ 110 miles a week. That's nothing! A car barely valued at $4000 that I've invested almost $10k in... time to cut my losses!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Got the jag home and ran fine. We were going out. It would not crank. I was seeing a failure message. I gave up. Later came home and manipulated shift around... got it to crank and noticed several codes including gear fault. The tranny may be repaired now but left with electrical problems.

The drum was a new part but not oem. I'm going to work around the problems for now because I need the car. I am not happy!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 PM

Update:

Apparently something wasn't properly tightened which caused loose shifter, failsafe engine mode, and gear fault alerts.

I took it back today and it is fixed. No console messages.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Update:

Apparently something wasn't properly tightened which caused loose shifter, failsafe engine mode, and gear fault alerts.

I took it back today and it is fixed. No console messages.
So I hope that, after a sweet ride and everything sorted, you are once again still doubting your decision to sell her off?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
So I hope that, after a sweet ride and everything sorted, you are once again still doubting your decision to sell her off?
nope!

Getting chk eng, failsafe, and reduced performance now.

But I'm driving it anyway.

Quick Reply: 1998 XJ8 Tranny I'm an idiot! Forum collective help needed!!