XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 jag xj8 l vandenplas drive train rhumble at 52 mph +

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 jag xj8 l vandenplas drive train rhumble at 52 mph +

help solve my rhumble problem we have tried almost everything for over a year.. i know there is a problem with this year car but i heard there is someone in new gland ( i don't care where they are ) who knows the secret hellllllllllllpp please !

Old 01-26-2016, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 811 Posts

Please list everything that you have done up to this point. That way we won't come up with something and you'll say that you tried that already. It just helps getting things moving along a little quicker. Anyways, of the things you have done already, has any one of the attempts to repair at least changed either the pitch in noise or made it quieter or louder?? Maybe it would help if you would give us a little more of a clue if it makes the noise when it's either cold or hot outside or the noise is loud when first driving in the am and goes away when it's warmed up.... Just good for thought.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Please list everything that you have done up to this point. That way we won't come up with something and you'll say that you tried that already. It just helps getting things moving along a little quicker. Anyways, of the things you have done already, has any one of the attempts to repair at least changed either the pitch in noise or made it quieter or louder?? Maybe it would help if you would give us a little more of a clue if it makes the noise when it's either cold or hot outside or the noise is loud when first driving in the am and goes away when it's warmed up.... Just good for thought.
I 100% agree! I have a good idea what it is, but not saying anything unless there is a detailed description of the noise and what conditions cause this.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default same problem

Originally Posted by akew
help solve my rhumble problem we have tried almost everything for over a year.. i know there is a problem with this year car but i heard there is someone in new gland ( i don't care where they are ) who knows the secret hellllllllllllpp please !
I have the same problem in my 1999 XJR , at 52 mph, there is a rumble, it also seems to disappear or is just not as noticeable after 60 mph.

I think ? maybe in the back of the car, passenger side, but that is my guess, do not feel it in the steering per say, but it almost like a tire with a bad belt ... slight thump thump thump, as if on a rough road, definitely tire, rim wheel bearing area of the car, I do not think it something inside transmission or rear end. I've had everything checked, even changed tires and two alignments, multiple wheel balances.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by akew

Look for TSB for your model and year, there may be something to do with adding or changing counterweights to change the natural frequency of the mounting structure or differential. I saw one a while back that involved changing a single weight on the differential mount. Here is another (similar) example:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...0112%20Kmh.pdf

Old 02-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone...Sorry to be so tardy getting back ..i will submit the various thoughts to my mechanic but i don't think we have a winner knowing what i know and what he has done already..we are currently looking to install an updated pressure switch in the tranny since this is so related to that exact speed and also can be modified by hitting the "S" sport switch

we will see thank you all again
Alan