XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 Jaguar XJ8 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1999 Jaguar XJ8 not starting

Hey guys, so unfortunately my jag has stopped running. And my problem is, well, I'm not entirely sure why.

About two months ago is when I first began noticing problems. It would have a bit of a rough idle at times (especially at startup), and it also had constant slight engine noise that could possibly be a misfire (I'm not entirely sure however). Also my check engine light is on and restricted performance comes up on the dash.

One day I drove to the store and it stalled out on me on my way home. I shut it down and restarted it and I received the same rough idle, engine noise as usual, but it started and I drove it home. When A few hours later after I drove it home, I tried to start it up again. This time however, it would crank, turn over but then stall out right after. Now it cranks but doesn't turn over at all. I only keep hearing a kind of a "whirring" sound (Best way to describe the noise ) whenever I try to start it. I'm completely lost about what the problem could possibly be, any help would be greatly appreciated, I really hope you guys could help me out!

(By the way, I just had a tune up done on it (oil, air filter, spark plugs, etc.) and also replaced the fuel pump, fuel strainer, and fuel filter.)

Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Received 339 Likes on 190 Posts

If the starter is working (whirring sound) and engine is not turning over - then it's a problem with a starter motor/solenoid. Repair/replace, check codes and come back

Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 303 Posts

Could also be cylinder wash, if the engine is actually turning over. You should get a scanner too though. You can't just keep driving around with a check engine light on and restricted performance. I don't mean to sound preachy, but you don't want to get stuck on the side of the road somewhere.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 PM

Ok, so I just broke out the OBDII scanner and it threw me these codes/messages:

P0171 - Bank 1 system too lean
P0174 - Bank 2 system too lean
P0453 - Evaporative emission system pressure sensor/switch high input
P0455 - Evaporative emission system leak detected (gross leak/no flow)
P1000 - DTC definition not found. See service manual.

Any possible suggestions?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you checked your air intake for oil? My XJR was stalling right after start-up. The air intake was full of oil, due to a clogged part load breather. I cleaned the breather and the intake, and it was much improved. I know this won't help much with your no-start issue, but maybe it may help with your rough/no idle issue.

The following users liked this post:
rpolizzano2013 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 01:50 AM

Well,you have a huge vacum leak. Check EVAP and all hoses ( breathers and so on) under a hood.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 303 Posts

You might also have cylinder wash. There are a lot of threads about it on here. Basically, your oil film has gone and you need to prime the cylinders with a little bit of oil to get compression. Good luck.

rpolizzano2013 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
You might also have cylinder wash. There are a lot of threads about it on here. Basically, your oil film has gone and you need to prime the cylinders with a little bit of oil to get compression. Good luck.
I was actually suspecting cylinder wash, I've seen a few other people on here talk about how cylinder wash was the problem with their jag all along. I'm going to try to fix that and see where that gets me.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rpolizzano2013
I was actually suspecting cylinder wash, I've seen a few other people on here talk about how cylinder wash was the problem with their jag all along. I'm going to try to fix that and see where that gets me.
Are your spark plugs wet with fuel?...You said you'd recently changed the fuel pump? Still working, got fuel presssure, wet spark plugs etc? Allan

Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maninahat98
Are your spark plugs wet with fuel?...You said you'd recently changed the fuel pump? Still working, got fuel presssure, wet spark plugs etc? Allan
Just checked my spark plugs, they were wet. I dried them off and replaced them. I also noticed that my ignition coils were rusted some more severely than others. Could this have any play in this as well?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:42 PM

Also just remembered that a few months back, I lost my fuel tank cap. Could this be the cause of the "P0455 - Evaporative emission system leak detected (gross leak/no flow)" code?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Also just remembered that a few months back, I lost my fuel tank cap. Could this be the cause of the "P0455 - Evaporative emission system leak detected (gross leak/no flow)" code?
One of the really clued up guys on the forum with know this I am sure (where the sensor is located / connectors etc) . I would clear the codes on the OBD reader and retest to get latest codes if not done already.....It sounds like the

sensor is open circuit (broken wire...or you really do have a massive air leak?...) I'd go for the tracing and continuity testing the wire(s) to / from the sensor just in case.....I am not sure where the sensor is for this, but the guys on the forum will....you definitely have good fuel pressure, sure? Hope this helps, Allan

Old 07-28-2013, 05:29 AM

P0455 may be a result of a lost fuel tank cap or defective fuel tank cap seal.

rpolizzano2013 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,848 Likes on 12,184 Posts

........ the OBDII scanner and it threw me these codes/messages:

P0171 - Bank 1 system too lean
P0174 - Bank 2 system too lean
P1000 - DTC definition not found. See service manual.

Any possible suggestions?
Just checked my spark plugs, they were wet. I dried them off and replaced them. I also noticed that my ignition coils were rusted some more severely than others. Could this have any play in this as well?
Systematic troubleshooting is the way to go. Read the codes, identify contributing factors such as wet plugs / missing fuel tank cap / coil condition. Note the 'Default Actions' and work through the 'Possible Causes'.

You can ignore P1000. This means OnBoard Tests have not been completed since the last memory clear. You will always see this or P1111 (OnBoard Tests completed).

The full DTC listing for the other codes is:

1999 Jaguar XJ8 not starting-rpoli_dtc.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Faulty coils set an individual code for each cylinder so it looks like these are still OK.

Air leaks should be first on the list to check. Repeated failed attempts at starting will have resulted in neat fuel in the cylinder bores (and wet plugs). The plugs should be thoroughly dried and a few mls of oil put into the bores to counter the wash and restore compression..

Graham

Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi,
I suspect you have a vacuum leak somewhere, a good place to start looking is the part load breather pipe where it enters the engine, make sure the hole is not blocked, DO NOT make the hole any bigger when cleaning it out. On the firewall in the middle is a black canister with Jaguar on the cap, this is I believe a purge valve to do with emission control. It is held on by two bolts and also has a two wire connector, remove the bolts and pull the canister forward, you will see that there are three vacuum pipes connected to it. On mine the middle smaller pipe had come adrift, this caused all sorts of warnings including engine fail safe, No ABS, No Trac etc. I repaired/replaced the pipe and the warnings stopped, the car also ran a whole lot better. It's a 10 minute job to check the vacuum pipes on the canister just to be on the safe side. I have learnt that even a small vacuum leak will cause trouble. HTH

Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 864 Likes on 712 Posts

I I am confused. The starter is running, correct? Is the engine turning over? As noted before, if it is not turning over the problem is the solenoid starter. If in fact, it is cranking but not starting that is a different set of problems. In my opinion, all of the problems that you're seeing with the code reader should not keep the engine from starting. What happened when you put a small amount of oil in each of the spark plug ports and tried to start the car?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
I I am confused. The starter is running, correct? Is the engine turning over? As noted before, if it is not turning over the problem is the solenoid starter. If in fact, it is cranking but not starting that is a different set of problems. In my opinion, all of the problems that you're seeing with the code reader should not keep the engine from starting. What happened when you put a small amount of oil in each of the spark plug ports and tried to start the car?
I tried to correct the problem of possible low compression in my cylinders (the cylinder wash situation) last night. I tried to start up the car with the accelerator completely depressed and the spark plugs out to redistribute the oil throughout the cylinders, waiting about 15 seconds per crank. However, on the 6th turn of the key, it seemed to be that my starter was no longer operating, I was only hearing a click when I turned the key. Could i have possibly killed my battery? (all the windows and other accessories still work fine in the car, i feel as if i did more damage than good..) Not sure where to go from here..

Old 07-28-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Systematic troubleshooting is the way to go. Read the codes, identify contributing factors such as wet plugs / missing fuel tank cap / coil condition. Note the 'Default Actions' and work through the 'Possible Causes'.

You can ignore P1000. This means OnBoard Tests have not been completed since the last memory clear. You will always see this or P1111 (OnBoard Tests completed).

The full DTC listing for the other codes is:

Attachment 49449

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Faulty coils set an individual code for each cylinder so it looks like these are still OK.

Air leaks should be first on the list to check. Repeated failed attempts at starting will have resulted in neat fuel in the cylinder bores (and wet plugs). The plugs should be thoroughly dried and a few mls of oil put into the bores to counter the wash and restore compression..

Graham
I honestly think that the P0455 code is coming from the fact that the fuel tank cap is missing. I remember when I was siphoning the gas out of my tank in order to replace my fuel pump, the small round metal spring loaded seal at the top of the filler neck was not closing flush and there was a small visible space in between the two.