XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Wont start

I have a 99 XJ8L with 43K miles. Just came back from week vacation and started the car yesterday to make sure the battery wasnt dead. It fired right up. Did not drive the car.
This morning it would not start but did crank. I trickle charged the battery and tried to start but would not start although the starter seems to crank. Any suggestions appreciated.
Jim

Old 01-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I assume by 'did not drive the car' that it did not reach full operating temperature.

There are several threads going on at the moment regarding what is being referred as 'cylinder wash'. That refers to washing the oil off the cylinder walls with unburnt gasoline and therefore losing compression. This is a common problem with your era of engines.

With the throttle to the floor, which cuts off gas to the injectors, spin the engine for 30 seconds at a time, allowing the starter to cool in between. After a few sessions of that try with 3/4 throttle. This may take many tries.

Current discussion:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=31810

See also this link on starting issues:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30792

Old 01-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have a 1999 XK8 and you can read my additional comments pertaining to the Nikasil engine on my webpage. I did a little research when I got the car and one of them was to take it to the dealership and have them check the car. No problems were detected and it ran fine for several years without oil consumption. I did however, experience three no start problems. Once when my son started the car and only let it run for less than 5 minutes in the driveway and the second for whatever reason I started the car in the driveway and turned it off and the third when I moved the car from the driveway to the street. The fuel in a cold engine block will wash the cylinder walls of oil resulting in no compression and no start. Remedy pull the plugs add a few drops of oil reinstall the plugs and hope it starts or try starting until it starts and if it does, hope that you did not burn up the starter. This is a real problem with this engine. And from what I understand not all have this problem. However, I would say the majority do. It is just a matter of time. My suggestion to you would be to use the low sulphur gas as suggested, have the oil changed when required and perform all the other maintenance that is required and hope for the best. You could be one of the lucky ones and I hope you are. I was not as fortunate as many others. However, I do not need to worry about it now.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Default 1999 Non start

Thanks for the info and the probable Nilasil non start issue. If I cant get the engine to restart and have it towed into the dealer, what are the estimated repair costs? Is the engine finished. ? This cant be anything but real bad news.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar techs report that they try the long crank solution first with some taking 30 minutes to start. The next level is to pull spark plugs and spray a little oil in. Might as well change the plugs, maybe $200 parts, a couple hours labor.

While a reoccurring problem it does not signal the death of the Nikasil engine. Just be cautious of shutting down the car before it has warmed some. I don't believe that you have to drive 10 miles but around the block wouldn't hurt.

Why not try the long start before having it towed?

Last edited by test point; 01-18-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I agree with Tom to try to start the car first. However, you do not want to burn up the starter and have that expense in addition to towing 30 min is a long time. My suggestion would be to try starting with the accelerator to the floor and give it a try. This cuts off the fuel. Once it begins to sputter let up and try to keep it running until it levels out. If that does not work pull the plugs and add a little oil to each cylinder no greater than a spoon full. Depending on the age of the plug you may consider changing them at the same time. If you are not comfortable in changing the plugs see if you have someone that can help. I have photos on my page if you need to see what is involved.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Default Cant start

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. Could not get the engine to start so had the car towed to the local jaguar dealer in West Palm Beach.
They said the part load breather was plugged up, also suggested new fuel filter and cleaning of the injectors and throttle body. $700.
Is all this necessary at the same time? Is price unreasonable?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, I have done all my auto repairs since I was 15, and that is a only about 50 years, and I find the dealer cost simply overwhelming. I understand a lot of folks are not interested in learning and doing such things and that is why there is a service industry out there. That industry has to cover its cost and make a profit and I appreciate that. High end car dealers converts that cost/profit requirement to an entirely new level.

First, nothing described would obviously cause the no start problem. See previous posts.

Clean part load breather, no parts, 15 minutes. New fuel filter, $25 filter, 30 minutes. Clean throttle body, parts $5, 30 minutes.

Cleaning the injectors is a little different in that some equipment is required but that process is commonly advertised for $100 or less.

These comments speak to the need to develop knowledge of and relationships with competent and competitive independent shops. The free enterprise competitive US economy will take it from there.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Wow, I'd be a little wary of those 'add ons'. Can't you just tell them what you did, ask them to get it started, and if they must pull the plugs to get some oil in the cylinder, change those out? I'm really hesitant about doing something as in-depth as an injector cleaning and messing with the throttle body if there's nothing wrong with them. Fuel filter...sure, throw them a bone. If they can show you heavy deposits in the throttle body, maybe that would sway me. They should be able to.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Your post on the General Technical forum said they got it cranked.

I would upgrade my comments above to Bu11 $h1t.

Find a local independent shop that doesn't think you are an idiot.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts
Wink No Start

I agree with Test Point. I have been working on my cars since I worked in a gas station when I was 15 - although for me that was only about 40 years ago. It sounds like all you had the cylinder wash problem and the dealer threw in a few extras to bring it up to $700. Not uncommon. Any trip to the dealer these days is going to be pricey, but in West Palm Beach ? I thought folks there just traded their car in for a new one when the oil needed changing.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

That's on the other side of the Intercoastal in Palm Beach.