XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 XJ8 (Base) Rear Springs Components

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1999 XJ8 (Base) Rear Springs Components

Since I will be replacing the rear shocks on my 1999 XJ8 (Base), I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace the rubber seats, isolators, pans, and packers that go with the springs. When I checked the parts listed in SNG Barratt's X308 catalog, I found one "packer" depicted in the parts diagram (page 45, Rear Springs and Dampers), but two packers of different sizes were listed: 3.4mm/2.9mm MNA3562AA, and 6.55mm/6.05mm MNA3562BA. I emailed Barratt to learn which one to order based on my VIN and a comfort suspension vs. sport set-up (assuming perhaps that the thicker one is for comfort?). The answer I received was that since two were shown in the diagram, I should order both! Well, no, two are not shown in the diagram, else I would not have asked my question. The part in question is numbered "2" (out of a total of 29 listed), and a quantity of "2" is required of the specific packer needed (one for each spring), but two packers are not shown, and I doubt if it is necessary to stack two packers on top of each other to achieve a thickness that could be met by one packer the thickness of the two stacked! Am I missing something here? If anyone knows a better answer to this question than the one I got from Barratt, I would sure appreciate it. I hate to have to disassemble the components to find out, and then order the part and wait. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

I have been asking the same question just a week ago:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...height-176904/

There is no clear answer, but I am sure that only 1 is needed, although one never know about Jaguar's logic (see Doug's reaction on the XJ-S shimming).

I tried to check the front packer carefully, but it is very hard to get to it, let alone see it in detail.
I think in my case it is just one, and most likely the thin one (which confirms my low riding height).

I still want to take some measurements on my suspension front and rear, and do some calculations (the sinus-co sinus and tangens thing) to confirm my theory.

As you have seen in the parts list, the front suspension also has 2 different packers, although thinner.
This confirms to me that they were used to influence the ride height.
The front spring is located a bit more inward and more leaning, so it is logical the packers there are slightly thinner than the rear to obtain the same difference in ride height.

Anyway, my theory so far is that there is a height difference in spring height between the comfort (XJ8) and the sport (XJR & Sport), with the sport version having a lower spring.

Then, in the quest to offer the XJR with more comfort for the US market, the thicker packers were used to increase the ride height.

That means in your case you probably have the thinner front and rear packers, but no guarantee .
I myself will replace the rear donuts, but not the packers, unless they come out damaged, which I kind of doubt.

Last edited by ericjansen; 03-01-2017 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CarGuy (03-02-2017)