XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 XJ8 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1999 XJ8 Transmission

Is there a dipstick to check the level of transmission fluid? I presume not since it is a sealed gearbox but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If the transmission fluid is low, is there a dashboard indicator/message?

Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

No dipstick nor alert.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:21 PM

Roger that.

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

For the non supercharged 1999 XJ8 the transmission is a ZF5HP24

Do you have any mechanical issues with yours

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-25-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:22 AM

Yeah, I do. It started a few months ago when I noticed it failing to shift out of first gear while accelerating from rest. I would move the gearshift lever into neutral and back to drive once or twice and it would start to shift properly.

Lately I have noticed that when I press the accelerator, sometimes the engine revs but there is no forward movement for a second or two then the transmission engages and the car lurches forward with a bit of a thunk. Sometimes, getting up to highway speed with a cold engine/transmission is ok except the shifting is sluggish. It used to be a lot more responsive. Most of the time it is fine. Once I am cruising at highway speed, there are no issues.

I am just wondering if the fluid is low (and getting lower). I was hoping there was a dipstick so I could both check and top-up the fluid level.

Since I fixed the ratchet adjustment on my brake pedal position switch two weeks ago, I have had no codes, restricted performance or engine failsafe mode errors. So, the transmission isn't throwing any codes out. That's good, I guess. I am surprised that there is no way to monitor the fluid level in the transmission. Sealed unit or not, they are bound to lose some fluid eventually, right?

Can tranny fluid be added via the transmission oil cooler supply/return lines? In the Canadian winter, the last thing I want to do is crawl under the car in the snow.

Didn't Parker drive Lady Penelope around in a Rolls Royce? Did you notice that Parker always sounded like he had a cold?

Old 02-25-2019, 08:39 AM
Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts

There are some old threads about this subject, but no resolution. A glimmer of hope was person making a dipstick for the ZF5HP24 5HP24 Dip Stick but the person does not respond to anyones emails, I sent two. I believe at least 1 forum member purchased the dipstick and never received it. But if for some reason you are able to contact the supplier, please let us all know.
All the best
Clive

Old 02-25-2019, 02:48 PM

Yeah, I did a search but I couldn't find anything definitive. I must admit, I was a bit surprised.

I did find the answer to my dipstick question in the XJ8 Workshop Manual. Page 1262 says, "Filled-for-life Fluid System: The transmission is 'filled for life' and does not require fluid changes, except where extreme driving conditions prevail. Routine level checking is not required and a dipstick is not provided. A level / filler plug is fitted for level checking and replenishment, following service actions; see 303-01 General Procedures."
Apparently, even under extreme conditions, the fluid level doesn't change. It's just that under extreme conditions, the tranny fluid may need to be changed occasionally.

Anyway, the dipstick thing is a pain in the butt. I guess ZF and Jaguar decided to eliminate any points of entry into the transmission housing in order to 'seal' it. Too bad they couldn't include a threaded dipstick to allow it to be screwed into the housing and therefore maintain the sealed condition of the tranny.

So, if a dipstick exists, where would it go?

If the transmission truly is sealed and the tranny fluid level doesn't ever drop, then I must have a more serious problem. The erratic shifting and the delay in engaging drive, leads me to think I may have a cracked hydraulic control unit or a problem with the A clutch. The only thing is that I don't get any transmission failsafe indications which I would expect if the A clutch was faulty.