Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 02:47 PM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

There's two requirements for running an old Jaguar:

1. a well equiped tool box
OR
2. a well equiped bank account

Be in no doubt, this will cost you many times the original purchase price in running costs, repairs and maintenance.

Graham

Old 08-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Unless you are a master automotive diagnostician don't buy an X308. It's a very lovable car and there is no better driving experience, but when something goes wrong it can be intensely difficult figuring out WHAT to repair.

You are young. I will be 50 in a few weeks. I have many years of experience repairing and maintaining my personal cars as well as the cars of my friends and family. I have a very well equipped garage. I am by no means a professional, but I'd say there are about 5% of things a car might need done to it, mechanically speaking, that I can't do myself.

The problem is, of the dozens of other cars I've maintained and worked on, the Jaguars (I've had 3) are by far the hardest to diagnose. I end up spending many precious hours just trying to decide WHAT to do. Then a misdiagnosis means I spend money and time installing parts that seemed like the most logical corrections, only to find out the original problem was not repaired.

It is a wonderful hobby car. It is a wonderful second car. If you happen to get a truly well maintained X308 it may even be a reliable car (if you keep up the maintenance). I love Jaguar cars. That said, I am thinking of selling both of mine. My plan is to only drive my company car for myself, buy my wife a new car, and keep the old BMW as a back-up car because it is so reliable. Then, when I retire I want to buy a pristine 2003 XJR with less than 50,000 miles that is in showroom condition and has been loved. That will be my retirement car. Yes, it will sell for a premium but that's ok. It'll be worth it.

Ok, far more than you probably needed to hear from me..hahahaha

Last edited by harvest14; 08-13-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
There's two requirements for running an old Jaguar:

OR

Be in no doubt, this will cost you many times the original purchase price in running costs, repairs and maintenance.

Graham
and

OR

3. a substantial bank account

fixed it for you

Old 08-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

I always like it when someone makes the comment "jaguar owners should have two so you have one to drive while the other one is being fixed". Then I tell them I do have two, shuts them up right quick.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

I have no right to steer you left or right in your decision, but I will sadly say imo these cars are more of a second car for a hobbyist than a primary/solitaire daily driver.
Soooooo.....
Offer him 4k, because thats fair. Then buy this

Toyota Camry 98

for when your broke and don't feel like walking

Old 08-14-2016, 07:07 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
however they do require lots of upkeep, like owning a horse, unless you have the time and money to take care of it, it will not be a fun experience,
I don't think our cars require "a lot of upkeep," you just can't defer maintenance (which of itself is not usually expensive) or drive them into the ground like a cheap econobox.

Please read my signature line.

I have horses and an XJR, I love them all, so I speak from experience.

I just installed a lift in my home garage so I have it easier than most.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 08-14-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Older European luxury cars, Jags, BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi make great second cars. Get a used Asian car as your first car. You should think of your XJR as a high maintenance girlfriend.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

I would NEVER steer anyone away (especially our young members) from XJR or Jaguar ownership. My XJR-100 is my daily driver, doesn't require anything any other car I've owned hasn't needed. Timely, quality oil changes, good fuel, lube points lubed, rotate the tires, changes the pads and check the rotors when needed and fresh' the fuel and air filters as required. Hondas and Toyotas break too, just drive by one of their service centers, they are full of broken cars.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by harvest14
Unless you are a master automotive diagnostician don't buy an X308. It's a very lovable car and there is no better driving experience, but when something goes wrong it can be intensely difficult figuring out WHAT to repair.

You are young. I will be 50 in a few weeks. I have many years of experience repairing and maintaining my personal cars as well as the cars of my friends and family. I have a very well equipped garage. I am by no means a professional, but I'd say there are about 5% of things a car might need done to it, mechanically speaking, that I can't do myself.

The problem is, of the dozens of other cars I've maintained and worked on, the Jaguars (I've had 3) are by far the hardest to diagnose. I end up spending many precious hours just trying to decide WHAT to do. Then a misdiagnosis means I spend money and time installing parts that seemed like the most logical corrections, only to find out the original problem was not repaired.

It is a wonderful hobby car. It is a wonderful second car. If you happen to get a truly well maintained X308 it may even be a reliable car (if you keep up the maintenance). I love Jaguar cars. That said, I am thinking of selling both of mine. My plan is to only drive my company car for myself, buy my wife a new car, and keep the old BMW as a back-up car because it is so reliable. Then, when I retire I want to buy a pristine 2003 XJR with less than 50,000 miles that is in showroom condition and has been loved. That will be my retirement car. Yes, it will sell for a premium but that's ok. It'll be worth it.

Ok, far more than you probably needed to hear from me..hahahaha
For me my hard to diagnose cars are Audis. I have VCDS HEX+CAN, so basically as good a diagnostic software you can get outside of a dealership. The diagnostic is a little bit harder than average sometimes, but the repair makes me hate them. My A8 has been very difficult to work on since often it's a 10lbs in a 5lb bag situation... My Jaguars have been very easy to own and operate! Repairs may take a while on some things, but overall they are pretty straightforward and nothing to really complain about.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks for the warning, no Audis in my future. lol

I have worked on several Volkswagens, usually Passats, but never an Audi. Most of my wrenching has been on Volvo and BMW cars, with a smattering of Nissan, Chevrolet, Toyota and Kia thrown in. One disaster trying to revive a Ford pickup but that wasn't the trucks fault, the previous owner overheated it much worse than they admitted.

My experience with the Jaguar is that it's easier to perform the repair because it's a large engine compartment fairly logically laid out. 80sRule is a better mechanic than myself however because the diagnostic portion of owning a Jaguar has been more of a challenge for this guy.

Off on a tangent, my apologies to the OP.