XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 XJR question: ABS Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 XJR - ABS/Trac advice please

I am not sure how to post a question in the X308 forum, but I hope someone can help me please. I looked at a 1999 XJR for sale today, and the car has been standing for some time. Note that the battery was flat and it needed a jumpstart. The car seemed to run fine, but the ABS light was on, and two messages flashed up on the display: "Traction control failure, stability control inoperative." I understand that the module that controls the ABS/Traction control is one and the same. I also note it seems to be a common issue.

Questions: Where is this module located? Can a flat battery trigger this display? (from what I have read, it's possible) . Should this behavior prevent me from buying the car, or is it an easy fix/clean/replacement? Can one drive the car in this condition...i.e. is it safe to use without traction conrol and ABS?

Much appreciate any advice from experienced members.

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:45 AM
Default 1999 XJR question: ABS Traction control

I finally figured out how to post in the correct forum! I looked at a 1999 XJR for sale today, and the car has been standing for some time. Note that the battery was flat and it needed a jumpstart. The car seemed to run fine, but the ABS light was on, and two messages flashed up on the display: "Traction control failure, stability control inoperative." I understand that the module that controls the ABS/Traction control is one and the same. I also note it seems to be a common issue.

Questions: Where is this module located? Can a flat battery trigger this display? (from what I have read, it's possible) . Should this behavior prevent me from buying the car, or is it an easy fix/clean/replacement? Can one drive the car in this condition...i.e. is it safe to use without traction control and ABS?

Much appreciate any advice from experienced members.

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2015, 02:28 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Flat battery's can trigger fault codes best charge the battery then take for test drive ,turn off after test drive and restart see if the faults reacure

Old 05-26-2015, 02:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've moved this question from your Intro thread to X308 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to advise.

Graham

Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Datrachs
I am not sure how to post a question in the X308 forum, but I hope someone can help me please ............
I've moved your other identical post about this to X308 forum. Here's the direct link to it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...please-143471/

Regardless of the question being in the wrong model tech forum here, clifton94's good advice applies and is where I'd start with this fault on an X308.

Graham

Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 2,238 Posts

It certainly could be the battery, so get that charged up. It isn't a problem to drive without the abs, just be aware that the brakes could lock up in a panic stop.

The following users liked this post:
Datrachs (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

It's located at the right rear of the engine compartment, and a low battery can trigger the faults.

If you are mechanically competent it should not be a reason to turn away, but certainly is a bargaining point. It is possible that the module has a fault that can't be repaired, but that is uncommon.

You can drive the car with the faults, but the brakes could lock in a panic stop, so be careful.

The following 2 users liked this post by RJ237:
Datrachs (05-28-2015), Don B (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 869 Likes on 716 Posts

Most likely you just need to clean the rust off the indicators at each wheel. Google it or search this forum: lots of threads. Over in the XK8 forum, there is a recent discussion that tells you what to do:
ABS + DSC System Fault

But I think if you renew the battery and drive it a while, the rust and corrosion will probably wear off and you will be fine.

You might also try a hard reset of the computers: remove the negative cable from the battery in the trunk and touch it to the positive terminal for thirty seconds: this dumps all the capacitors and resets most systems; there will be a momentary rough idle until the system relearns.

There are lots of other things more worrisome: tensioners, water pump, brakes, tires, etc. All fixable, especially if the price is right.

Last edited by Jhartz; 05-26-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Datrachs (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Default Thanks very much for this advice

This is very helpful. I believe one can get into the module and resolder the wires. I have also read that pulling the ABS sensors off each wheel and cleaning them may solve the problem. What a great forum!!

]It's located at the right rear of the engine compartment, and a low battery can trigger the faults.

If yozu are mechanically competent it should not be a reason to turn away, but certainly is a bargaining point. It is possible that the module has a fault that can't be repaired, but that is uncommon.

You can drive the car with the faults, but the brakes could lock in a panic stop, so be careful.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Default Thanks for this advice

Much appreciated. What a great forum!

Originally Posted by clifton94
Flat battery's can trigger fault codes best charge the battery then take for test drive ,turn off after test drive and restart see if the faults reacure

Old 05-26-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be low battery, dirty wheel sensor, or even just a tight wire causing the short. I would look into the simple things first before you scare about the ABS module.

The following 2 users liked this post by Winks:
Datrachs (05-26-2015), Don B (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Received 13,033 Likes on 6,508 Posts

Datrachs,

I've merged your similar posts in the X350 forum into this thread in the correct X308 forum and deleted your duplicate post.

I agree with the other members that the flat battery may be the cause of the fault code. My second suspect would be a wheel speed sensor that is dirty, has a loose or corroded electrical connector, or a damaged wiring harness.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-26-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Default 99 XJR ABS Light on, Traction control/stability control inoperative

Thanks to all of you who responded. Watched a great video on how to clean the ABS sensors on the wheels. Very straighforward. Wheels on this care are very dirty so I suspect a combo of flat battery and good old fashioned dirt are responsible. I will not let this put me off the purchase.

I'll let everone know whether I decide to go ahead with this purchase.

Datrachs
1980 XJ6
1999 XJR (maybe!)

Old 05-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The ABS Module is located in the engine compartment, on the drivers side inner wheel well, next to the radiator. It's the little black plastic box mounted to the aluminum block with all the tubes coming out of it.

I've owned my 1999 XJR since 2004 and the ABS / Traction Control lights have been on probably a majority of the time. It drives fine, and regardless of the indicator messages being present, it's passed annual safety inspections with no problem.

I've tried just about every trick that's been mentioned to fix it. Checked and cleaned the wheel sensors. Checked all the grounds. Checked the wires from each wheel sensor, point to point to the module, to make sure there are no breaks or shorts. Carefully cut open the module to check the solder joints to the ABS pump, mine were solid and fine. Sent my module out to have to checked and upgraded, (probably more of a wastes of time and money). Replaced the module with a used one. Nothing, still get the warning messages. Since It drives fine, I've just learned to live with it.

I wouldn't let the ABS/Traction Control message prevent you from getting the car if it's a good deal and it's what you want. You should pay attention to the issues that jhartz mentioned though, mainly the timing chain tensioners and chains, water pump with plastic impeller, also look into the Nikasil coated cylinders, and the fuel injection throttle body.

As cheaply as these cars can be purchased for now days, if you're mechanically inclined and have the time to do the work needed, they can be a nice car. They're certainly a beautiful car. They're like a gorgeous, high maintenance, self centered woman.

Sorry about the huge size of the images, you should be able to left click and save to your desktop (or somewhere) to view them. Good luck.

ABS Module, Drivers Side Inner Fender

ABS Module, Distribution Block, Pump, Electrical Connector

ABS Module Top

ABS Module Bottom

The following 2 users liked this post by Ricop:
Datrachs (05-27-2015), Don B (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Default 1999 XJR - ABS/Trac advice please

Folks, are the ABS and wheel speed sensors one and the same thing...i.e. four sensors, one on each wheel?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 696 Posts

On my 2000 xj8, the ABS module was found located at the left front of the engine bay directly behind the headlight. Easy to recognize with the brake lines leading into it. Indeed, I did re-solder the power terminals on my ABS circuit board following instructions posted elsewhere on this forum and solved the problem - total cost under $10 for solder and fresh brake fluid. Its quite an expensive repair if you have a shop replace the unit (technically its not a serviceable part as the box is glued shut) so you should be able to negotiate a hefty discount for this fault. You might ought to first have the codes read to make sure its not something else before you make an offer.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Many independent shops are able to read Jag abs codes, and will do so for under $100. There are also apps available for phones (of which I know nothing) for very little when combined with adapters available on ebay. Once the actual fault is identified repair is much simpler than trying to guess where to look.

Datrachs (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Datrachs
Folks, are the ABS and wheel speed sensors one and the same thing...i.e. four sensors, one on each wheel?
That's part of it. Here's the description from the workshop manual.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 XJR question: ABS Traction control-abs.png  
Old 05-27-2015, 12:05 AM

Thanks very much Jim. I watched a great video last night showing how to clean each of the wheel sensors, and will do so. The first thing I did on cold start up was to race round to the front and placed my ear over the two secondary camshaft sprocket covers. There was no rattle, but when I replace the spark plugs, I'll be inspecting the secondary tensioners to see whether they are the third generation metal ones. I'll have to get the skinny on the "zip tie" method of securing the cams. I am sure I can find that somewhere. Waterpump is a good idea, and I've read the thermostat covers are a good replacement too. Really appreciate this great advice!!

Quick Reply: 1999 XJR question: ABS Traction control