XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 xjr wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1999 xjr wont start

hello I have a 99 xjr supercharged v8 car has been well taken care of I just recently (this past summer ) had the heads redone along with tensioners and all hoses on top end /the other day after an extended trip we parked it in the garage no problems no lights no issues great trip next day it wont start just turns over so far I've checked and have good spark fuel pump works (it wont run on ether- either if pump was bad it should ) i've pulled all plugs definatly wet with fuel (ether)only lights now tell me check engine(said that anytime started) and reduced performance tried the oil in cylinder trick maybe compression/ havent done that test yet no success so now not sure what to try next someone said something bout inertia switch cant find that any havnt tried fuel pressure check but wont start with ether I'm pretty mechanical with several muscle cars but i"m stumped on this one maybe crank sensor just dont know

Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Why are you "losing your mind"? Mine's already gone, long before the Jags. I just had the same problem with my XJR, a 99 as well. Have you scanned it? I have an older actron with cables for all domestics and one for global obd II. I guess it's sufficient for some functions on the Jag. I threw me a p1336 code for the cam sensor. I'm going to try replacing it in the next day or two. Just looks ominous having to remove the supercharger and intake just to move the fuel rail out of the way. Anyone know a quicker way, let me know!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cam sensor replacement

How do you say 'Duh'? Must have been the lack of coffee early this morning that caused me to not notice a much more simplified way to remove the sensor. Remove the throttle body to gain access to the two bolts holding the steel fitting to the fuel rail to gain access to the cam sensor. Now the job looks much more appealing. AKA

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally

yep easier to go thru trottle body didint throw any codes but i replaced the m.a.f. sensor seems to have done it these cars are easy to flood out in the cold weather they seem to want to dump gas on starttup the trick with mashing the gas pedal to stop pump helped get her going but had to recharge batterie twice going to get reflash at dealer later this month they seem to think after tearing it down its off just a bit off hope that does it replaced cam sensor when we did the heads thanks for the info though any hints i can get bout this car the better simply love driving it

68 gtx
74 roadrunner
99 xjr this car is a runner
p.s. my mind is slowly returning