XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJ8 CEL on/ restricted performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Well, you could,but the fuel filter would generally cause a full throttle problem, not an idle problem. Those two tubes you mentioned, the part load and full load breathers- Check them well.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by tjcpt1
First let me say thanks, second, I am definitely not a mechanic. But I am sick of getting raped by the dealer. I have gotten nothing but good advice from everyone. With that said, I stayed on the find the vacuum leak train a little longer. I removed those plastic covers once again and re-examined the vacuum hose that I had found earlier with electric tape on it. It looked kind of shabby so I figured I would re-tape it. Upon further examination I followed the hose to its attachment. I could see a lousy electric tape fix but it had a gapping hole in it. I knew all the tape in the world would not help me. I pulled on it lightlly and it came apart. My luck this is the hose that goes from the drivers side front of the engine through the manifold into an area that my hands don't fit, then has a T connector that goes under the throttle body with a continuing hose connected to something attached to the firewall. To make a long story shorter I had to do something. The closest JAG dealer was over an hour away. I got a ride to an auto parts store matched gas line hose to the broken off fittings, got some hose clamps and fished a wire through the manifold to under the throttle body so I could pull the hose through, unbolted the cooling system overflow reservoir so I could get my hands in better, sized it up, cut hoses, pulled the hose through the manifold fitted clamps to fittings and reattached everything. I cleaned up and took it for a test ride (about 25 miles of around town stop and go traffic). The RPL did not come on once. Right there that is a big improvement. The car hums nice. But the check engine light is still on. I will try to unhook the battery and see if it resets. If it doesn't I will still be happy. I learned something and I definitely saved money. Thanks for all of your input. I will let you know the final outcome.
I can tell you using electrical tape or a cloth tape on engine hose repair does not work and only ends up being a sticky mess. Replacing the hose is the way to go, if that is not an option then use a heat rated foil tape.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:51 PM
tjcpt1
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The breather stub and the hose associated with it on the drivers and passenger side, where are they and what do they look like? Are there pictures somewhere?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Pic?

Attached Thumbnails 2000 XJ8 CEL on/ restricted performance-pages-2000-xj8-breather.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
fredd60 (04-08-2012)
Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
tjcpt1

I could not find anything that looks like this. Is it under something? Do I have to remove something to find it?

Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
tjcpt1
Default Did just about everything.

Today I cleaned the throttle body, MAFS, and the full load breather with the 3/32" drill bit. The car runs fabulously but the check engine light remains on. There are no RPL issues thank God. I did take it to Autozone and got the codes P0171, P0174, and P1111. The guy said most likely caused by faulty or dirty MAFS. I cleaned it according to the instructions provided me on this forum along with the other parts I described but still with CEL on. It does, however run fabulous. I can't locate the breather stub and hose associated with it even with that diagram that was provided. Any help or description would be appreciated. All in all, I am not doing to bad for a non-mechanic.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Did the autozone guy also CLEAR the codes (it's another funcion of the code reader)? Many must be erased from the ECM memory before the CE light will go out.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Haven't had a read of the whole topic but causes for P0171/P0174 - you can safely ignore P1111:

Engine misfire
Air intake leak between MAFS and throttle
Fuel filter, system blockage
Fuel injector blockage
Fuel pressure regulator failure (high/low fuel pressure)
Low fuel pump output
HO2S harness wiring condition fault
Exhaust leak (before catalyst)
ECM receiving incorrect signal from one or more of the following components:
ECTS, MAFS, IATS, TPS

I'd be checking fuel pump pressure and for air leaks about now. Another possibility is a broken exhaust stud/studs which some models are prone to.

Jim

Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Old 04-21-2010, 09:07 PM
tjcpt1
Talking Happy Forum Member.

I am happy to report that after all my efforts, and from the invaluable help that you all provided, my Jag is purring and CEL is now off, no RPL for 2 days, and my car is now fun to drive again. I celebrated by flooring it on the highway for about 2 miles. Nice........................... Thank you all for your help. This forum rocks!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the same problem codes p0171 and p0174

It is so frustrating, Since december I been spending a lot of money in my Jaguar XJ8 L 2000
First misfiring all the cylinders, replace the timing chain tensioners, after that it gave a code about the coolant temperature, replaced thermostat and fresh antifreeze, I took my car for a ride and after a few miles, a restricted performance and the check engine light come on, codes p0171 and p0174. my mechanich lokked sveral things included vacuum leaks and He gave up and send me to the Jaguar dealer , they said me that I need to replace the intake manifold including all the gaskets and seals (thousand of dollars) I went again with my mechanic and we found a used intake manifold and replace it and still with the same problem.
I went with the dealer again and then they said me that on order to come up with a new diagnostic the need to remove the Manifold (hundreds in labor only) they removed it and apparently everything is oj but they said that "probably" the problem are in the fuel injector seals (Orings) but nobody sells this parts and in order to obtain a seal I need to buy 8 fuel injectors($thousands) or buy a new Intake manifold(more expensive) because these parts includes the Oring(seal). Do you believe it?
Well a this time I'm trying to find the seals for my injectors, but of course this don't guarantee that my car is going to work coorectly, at this time everybody is guessing about the solution for this problem.

My mechanic told me that he replaced the MAP sensor , Look for leaks with a smoge machine, checked fuel pressure and other several test to try to find ourt the solution but He gave up, and now the Jag dealer are trying to find the solution but they are just guessing and trying to charge me thousand of dollars.
I hope that you find a solution and share it with the rest of the forum.

Good luck

Marnaf from Arizona

Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Let us know what was the problem and how you repair it.
A lot of people have the same problem so we need your inputs about it.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I would like to see a little history of your car, year (2000), mileage, was the car in storage and when did all this take place. As in tjcpt1 post he found a cracked and leaking hose under the manifold and did a little housekeeping. The common problem has been hose leakage related and or TB and MAFS.

Give us a little information (history) and we will try to help!

Attached Thumbnails 2000 XJ8 CEL on/ restricted performance-p0171.jpg   2000 XJ8 CEL on/ restricted performance-p0174.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 AM

I bought this car in may 2008 with 95,000 miles now is around 120,000 miles.
after driving this car for around 10,000 miles the first code that appeared was about the coolant so low or thermosthat failing, the level of the coolant was normal so I ignore it and continue driving, I never heat the engine. but last december come up with misfiring problem and the mechanic replace the timing chain and the tensioners, but inmeadiatly come up the previus code about the coolant, I drove my car for January and february without problems(only the ligh on for the coolant code) so in march I went to the mechanic to fix the problem replace thermostat and fresh coolant but inmeadiatly after I took my car for a test so after 1 mile the new codes p0171 and p0174 come up, my mechanic tried several things (vaccum leak, maf, gas pressure) but he didn't find nothing wrong and he gave up and send me to the Jag dealer in Tucson for a diagnosis, The dealer said that apparently the car was overheated and that I need to replace the intake manifold because may be was broken and leaking vacuum. My mechanic replace it with a used one and nothing happens, I went again with the Jag dealer and they said that they need to remove the intake manifold in order to come up with a new diagnosis, they said that the intake manifold seems ok but that maybe the problem is with the Fuel injectors seals (O-rings) but the problem is that nobody sell this seal alone you need to buy the whole fuel injector because they included the seal or buy a new Intake manifold with all the gaskets and seals included. but still they don't know for sure that this will fix the problem( we are talking to spend around $4,000.00 and just for guessing. I already spent a couple of thousand and still with the problem. now my car is in the jag dealer because they removed the intake manifold and they are asking me if I want to buy 8 new fuel injectors or buy a new intake manifold in order to replace the seals. so at this time I'm trying to find the fuel injector seals for my Jaguar XJ8L 2000 or just gave up and junk it. I don't want to pay $4,000.00 USD to see the problem coming again
thanks

Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I would think if injectors could be rebuilt the seals would be available. I did a little checking and came up with this link http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.co...iewCat&catId=4 I would give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 308 Posts
Default P0171 p0174

I had these codes pop up on me, and I also got the restricted performance. Came to find out I created the problem myself. When I cleaned the part load breather, the connector and hose / tube were fairly brittle and apparently I cracked the hose. I didn't know it at the time of course, but after finding the leak and taping the hose and clearing the codes everything went back to normal. I bought a new part load breather hose, but haven't gotten around to replacing it yet since it looks like a real PITA. A crack in between the MAFS and the throttle body will definitely cause this problem. It may not be your problem, but it sure is simpler than all that expensive stuff ! Best of luck.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If it were me I would be checking hoses for cracks and ALL the connectors and seals for leaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYa8rcHeN3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfiQ7qWiG-M&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V_W_SFxYoI&NR=1

Last edited by Gus; 04-23-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You might want to keep an eye on this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=36218

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks, Gus. I'll be looking for a solution.
I forgotten to tell you that the restricted performance come up only in low speed, only when I driving in the city that you need to stop at lights and drive your car at 20-30 miles per hour, per sample one time I clean the codes and drive in the free way at 75 miles per hour in a three hours trip with out the resticted performance so not problem at all in this trip until I arrived to the city and started stopping in the traffic lights and driving my car in the 20-30 miles per hour then the restricted performance and the codes p0171 and p0174 come up inmeadiatly. then when I start acelerating my car the restricted performance don't show anymore, only the check engine light still on as a reminder that the car detected a problem, so in the city the resticted performance just pop out in low speed and gone when I start acelerating my car.
My dream in driving a Jaguar just turn out in a nightmare.
I'll let you know what I'll find about my problem.
Thanks.
Marnaf

Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by marnaf
Thanks, Gus. I'll be looking for a solution.
I forgotten to tell you that the restricted performance come up only in low speed, only when I driving in the city that you need to stop at lights and drive your car at 20-30 miles per hour, per sample one time I clean the codes and drive in the free way at 75 miles per hour in a three hours trip with out the resticted performance so not problem at all in this trip until I arrived to the city and started stopping in the traffic lights and driving my car in the 20-30 miles per hour then the restricted performance and the codes p0171 and p0174 come up inmeadiatly. then when I start acelerating my car the restricted performance don't show anymore, only the check engine light still on as a reminder that the car detected a problem, so in the city the resticted performance just pop out in low speed and gone when I start acelerating my car.
My dream in driving a Jaguar just turn out in a nightmare.
I'll let you know what I'll find about my problem.
Thanks.
Marnaf
Do not judge this car by this situation. You need to step away, sit down and drink whatever it is you like and relax. For me it is Coffee, Coors Light or Cabernet in crushed ice. This problem will drive you nuts if you let it. Have you seen this? http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairR...erformance.htm

As for city and highway driving my RP only came up when I would accelerate when the engine would go over 3000rpm. So, on the highway it was fine until I demanded more. When I accelerated past 3000rpm I would get the RP and it would do the same in the city. Do a little testing and see.

Last edited by Gus; 04-26-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 XJ8 CEL on/ restricted performance