XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJ8 CEL on/ restricted performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mafs

Gus thanks we will try that next, spraying the TB and I will go look at the correct MAFS and see what is suppose to be in it. Ours has a white piece that is inside the MAFS all the others i have seen its just a open hole through the black plastic piece. ours has some white piece that looks like it is broken in it. We love this car but think the people we bought it from just put a bandaid on it just to sell it..go figure. we found air lines just hanging off the TB and of course the Tee that leaks. I have one other question. There is a small black jug like a radiator overflow tank by the firewall that has a sensor in the bottom of it. I believe this is the sensor for the cooling system. now there is 2 red wires that are just hanging off this thing with no place to go to. any ideas? photos to come..

Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Default 2000 xj8

Hey Gus just wanted to say thanks!! we did all you said to everyone else and BAM no more CEL. But now we have brake lights that stay on all the time. Replaced one bad bulb but still all on. I unplugged the brake switch and they went out. I am thinking it has a bad switch becuase the cruise doesnt work either. any ideas

The following users liked this post:
Gus (09-06-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 AM

I just want to report back in. I had a CEL and Restricted Performance with the two lean codes.

Yesterday I replaced my Mass airflow sensor with a A-1 refurbished one. Then I could not clear the CEL by discounting the battery. I tried everything from push on the horn and waited a hour. There seems to be some internal backup power that keeps the ecu alive. However, After about 4 or 5 drive cycles, the CEL went away on its own without a reset.

I am so happy! I hope this helps you. If it comes back I will let you guys know. For now, the performance is back!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM

I forgot to mention that replacing the MAS is not all that I did.

On the bottom of the intake tube connecting to the air box opposite of where the MAS(top) is located, there are suppose to be 4 bolts. One of those the bolt and a metal filling which contains the thread for that bolt is missing. Therefor air is leaking in there and since it is directly under the MAS it generate the lean code and restricted performance light. I plug the hole and everything is well.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine code flashing

I recently purchased a 2000 xj8 VP it seemed to run great, so I changed the plugs, after it i got a flashing check engine light and the car is running a little rough. suspect it may be one of ignition coils. any ideas?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Did you gap the plugs and were they matched to the car? Check for a vacuum leak on the hoses and tubes you removed and reinstalled, this car is sensitive to vacuum or intake leaks. Do you have any codes?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Default CEL came back

After replacing the MAF sensor. The CEL went away on its own for a few days. Then it came back again. But this time, is will only be on for maybe 30 min and then off again for an hour or two. Restricted performance will come on too with or without the CEL here and there. Certainly not as bad as before the new MAF but very screwy.

Any idea? I do have the intake kit from Mina.

Should I replace the upstream O2 sensor?

Old 06-01-2020, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag 2000 XJ8

Originally Posted by tjcpt1
I have a 2000 XJ8, the check engine light came on a week ago. Also, occassionally the restricted performance indicator lights up. The CEL is always on. The RPI comes on when I slow down or stop at a red light. If I accelerate, it goes out and the car runs fine. The car runs great on the highway. I have been going back and forth to NY from NH 350 miles each way, twice so far without a problem. I checked the forum and got some good advice. I checked for vacuum leaks (to the best of my ability). I found one hose that was repaired with electrical tape that was not looking good. I taped it up solid. No good. I then cleaned the Mass Air Filter Sensor, no good. I stopped at a foreign car mechanic and he scared the heck out of me. I could actually see the dollar signs in his eyes. He said probably all 4 O2 sensors at $575 a piece plus labor. From what I read the back sensors would probably not be the problem. I just want to know what else I can do before shelling out a bunch of dough that I am sure most of will be unnecessary. Also I tried the Lucas Upper cylinder lubricant fix, no good. Any help would be appreciated.
did you get to the bottom of this issue ? I am having “Restricted Performance” also !
Vin
210 887 5866