XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJ8 cranks won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you knew to check for fuel at the injectors you probably knew to put a full charge on the batt and crank it with your accelerator on the floor. This happens to my older Jag sometimes. After about 5sec it starts to sputter and comes back to life with a belch of black smoke. Once the too rich mix is cleared it runs perfectly.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Put a charger on it, and put your foot to the floor and crank it....and crank it, and crank it. It'll start sooner or later it it is washed down. If not, try removing the plugs, squirt some oil in the cylinders, and jump the starter relay.....turn it over for a bit. Re-install plugs and try to start again....and do this outside because it is going to smoke, a lot! Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

And hope you do not burn up the starter like I did!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have a 1999 XK8 and you can read my additional comments pertaining to the Nikasil engine on my webpage. I did a little research when I got the car and one of them was to take it to the dealership and have them check the car. No problems were detected and it ran fine for several years without oil consumption. I did however, experience three no start problems. Once when my son started the car and only let it run for less than 5 minutes in the driveway and the second for whatever reason I started the car in the driveway and turned it off and the third when I moved the car from the driveway to the street. The fuel in a cold engine block will wash the cylinder walls of oil resulting in no compression and no start. Remedy pull the plugs add a few drops of oil reinstall the plugs and hope it starts or try starting until it starts and if it does, hope that you did not burn up the starter. This is a real problem with this engine. And from what I understand not all have this problem. However, I would say the majority do. It is just a matter of time. My suggestion to you would be to use the low sulphur gas as suggested, have the oil changed when required and perform all the other maintenance that is required and hope for the best. You could be one of the lucky ones and I hope you are. I was not as fortunate as many others. However, I do not need to worry about it now.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Like Gus and others stated............clean throttle body, part load breather, and all the above. Most of todays engines use low tension rings that need a oil film to adequatly seal. The first shots of fuel can wash the film off, susquent cranking only serves to wet the plugs then they dont fire(its a visious circle isnt it) When you hold the pedal to the floor it is in clear flood mode(shuts off injectors) and some point while cranking it should try to start, lift off the pedal slightly to get fuel without stopping cranking. I have stayed on the starters alot and never burned up one(theyre stout gear reduction units like used in race engines) they wont burnup as easy as a $75 GM. But that why theyre $1000 new(Jaguar)

Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XKR cranks but won't start

I have read the posts on this and I was wondering if I could spray engine fogging oil into the air intake to coat the cylinders and gain compression or can this damage these engines? I fog my Chrysler marine engines every fall for 30 yrs with no issues. My Jag has sat for couple of months without being started and this is the first time it has done this. I am hoping this is all that is wrong. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Maybe if you put the fog right down the throttle body or stick it past the butterfly while cranking with no spark and then put it back together. Probably still better to put oil right in the plug holes. I've never had the bore wash problem (touch wood). Maybe I'm past the date when it was corrected. I still take care not to run the engine for short periods of time. That's not good for the car anyway. (condensation, etc.)

Old 02-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I've only experienced this problem with my old X300, a couple of times on a cold start - stop cycle.
I fixed it then by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking to release the excess fuel in the bores - you can smell the fuel from the exhaust pipes. After which when fuse was re-connected engine spluttered into life.
Worth a try before unbuttoning the coils ....

AndyP

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The purpose of putting oil in the cylinders is to create compression (no compression no start). I am not sure what Fog will do the job. No need to pull any fuses for the fuel pump when you compress the gas pedal to the floor it will cut off fuel to the throttle body. I will also suggest NOT to use starter fluid it can result in a cracked manifold. I am attaching a starting procedure that should help.
Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
No need to pull any fuses for the fuel pump when you compress the gas pedal to the floor it will cut off fuel to the throttle body.
Oh I didn't know that !
You learn something new every day ....

Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle04
Oh I didn't know that !
You learn something new every day ....

I also didn't know this, I always thought it would flood the engine if you have your foot on the accelerator.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

It's a great little trick of the computer (my previous Ford from 1995 had it, too). Just be sure to have foot fully down, no mats under pedal, etc.

It's sensible to try it with an already hot engine. Just to see. No harm would be done if you were a bit tentative if it's already warmed up.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Back in the day, we used to do this with carbureted engines. Open the throttle to flush out the extra fuel. Even better if the computer shuts off the injectors.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Default 2000 XKR no start

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I finally got decent weather and some time to try the oil into the cylinder approach. I could still not get it to fire. I am going to replace the plugs and see if that helps. Any other suggestions?
How do you check the fuel pressure? What kind of gauge do I need?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

To check the fuel pressure you will need a pressure gauge and you can get one at any tool or auto parts store. As for it not starting I have a procedure on my page that should help.

Link to No Start JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link to check fuel pressure JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Also you have an Xk8 and you should be in that section with your questions.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Default 2000 XKR no start

Gus,

Thank you, Here is another question for you. When I pulled the cover off the right side to get to the plugs there was an orange/rust covered powder on the head and spark plug boots. The spark plug bases were rust and it looked like liquid had been on the plug boots an inch or two deep. I have had to add anti-freeze many times. Do I have a cracked head or a blown head gasket?

Thanks,

Brad

Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

It is likely water got in your coil covers. Maybe some one was pressure washing the engine.
Having to add coolant frequently indicates it's time to pressure test the cooling system and fix the leak. You may be able to borrow or rent a pressure test kit from one oft the parts stores in your area, or just buy one. If you have a blown head gasket there should be some white smoke from the exhaust with the distinctive odor. You can test the coolant for exhaust gas, but it's more likely just a leaking fitting or gasket.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Default 2000 XKR No start

I have tried the oil in the cylinders, replaced the spark plugs, checked each fuse with a multimeter, swapped relays and it still will not start. How do I check fuel pressure ?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Quick Reply: 2000 XJ8 cranks won't start