XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJ8 Heater Hose / Valley Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2000 XJ8 Heater Hose / Valley Hose Replacement

I began tackling the swap today. Not something I was looking forward to lol. Here is what the car has been leaking after a 20-30 mile drive around town (it has steadily gotten worse...this is the worst puddle to date, mostly it has been several drops).

The puddle appears during cool down at some point, not an immediate drip. It forms under the rear driver's side near the cat / header and drips down the front of the transmission bell housing. It appears to be coming from that portion of the octopus hose from one of the T fittings / Norma connector. I am also replacing the expansion tank for good measure. Since I would be swapping out several pieces, I figured I would also do the valley hoses.

Here is the pile of parts to install:

Here is how the car sits right now. I have removed the intake manifold / TB using several DIY write ups here. Thanks to those who have contributed. Tomorrow I will plan on trying to finish up.

During the removal, I managed to somehow break the engine cover while disconnecting the expansion tank lines. Also, I broke the small vacuum line from the driver side valve cover, which runs to a t-fitting at the TB.

The T-fitting however appears to be OK. It connects from here:

Then T's to the TB, then here:

Also, I went to remove the passenger side vacuum line from the brake booster to the TB and discovered this:

Apparently someone in the past had JB welded this to the intake. Not sure if it has been broken in the past or if it's just because this is a notoriously difficult vacuum location on these cars (from my searches recently). Since my car had no vacuum leaks before doing this removal, I decided to play it safe and just disconnect this line from the brake booster itself.

There was a small rush of air from the brake booster during removal, which I'm hoping won't be an issue with reinstallation. Any thoughts here?

Here is the removed intake:

Overall, not a terrible start. I still need to order a replacement vacuum line and source a used engine cover. Will update when it's complete!

Last edited by pianoman90; 03-02-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,009 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by pianoman90
I still need to order a replacement vacuum line and source a used engine cover. Will update when it's complete!
Pianoman, you seem to be doing a fine job.

Those plastic hoses can be fragile after all these years, I think this is the one you need, and motorcarsltd has the OEM part at a very reasonable price.....
https://motorcarsltd.com/catalogsear...lt/?q=AJ84880+

Old 03-02-2020, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the link! That is the hose that I accidentally broke today. Just ordered one and was also able to find a replacement engine cover.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

Apparently someone in the past had JB welded this to the intake. Not sure if it has been broken in the past or if it's just because this is a notoriously difficult vacuum location on these cars (from my searches recently). Since my car had no vacuum leaks before doing this removal, I decided to play it safe and just disconnect this line from the brake booster itself.
That hose is a slip-in fit in the TB and works just fine that way, but it seems someone in the past thought it should be JB welded......which it doesn't, you could replace the part (MNC5910BG) which is not cheap or continue to leave it as-is, disconnected from the brake booster end as you have done.
This site has the hose at a reduced $153.00 https://www.terrysjag.com/product/MNC5910BG.html

There was a small rush of air from the brake booster during removal, which I'm hoping won't be an issue with reinstallation. Any thoughts here?
Completely normal and as expected to hear a small rush of air when you disconnected that pipe, there would still be a partial vacuum on the booster side of the white one-way valve.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:22 AM

Well that’s a pricey line! I may continue to leave it in place for now, unless I develop a vacuum leak after I reinstall everything.

Good to know about the booster. Speaking of, what should I expect when turning over the car for the first time after this swap? I’m assuming it will take a minute to turn over since the gas lines have been emptied. Will the brake pedal be soft since I removed the vacuum line?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Well that’s a pricey line! I may continue to leave it in place for now, unless I develop a vacuum leak after I reinstall everything.

Good to know about the booster. Speaking of, what should I expect when turning over the car for the first time after this swap? I’m assuming it will take a minute to turn over since the gas lines have been emptied. Will the brake pedal be soft since I removed the vacuum line?
Both the fuel line and brake booster will pressurize rapidly (create vacuum in the case of the brake booster), and shouldn't be anything to be concerned about.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:37 PM

Got some more work done today. I ended up changing the valley hoses and removing the old octopus hose. I looked closely at the old hoses but didn't see any glaring cracks or holes. There was some old crusted coolant around the plastic fitting that sits on top of the transmission, seen here (circled on the new hose):

Here are the new valley hoses:

And I broke the old coolant level sensor lol, but shouldn't have trouble sourcing a new one.

Now I have a question with the Norma hose on the new octopus hose. Here are a few pics, the first not locked, the other pics with the collar out / locked. It looks very close to being completely locked, but the 3 hooks are just barely not locked on. When I tried to pull up further, the collar came off completely and I had to reinstall it. Thoughts?

Old 03-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

There was a thread on this a while back.................I think this is it, and it should help.........
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nector-211209/

Old 03-05-2020, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the link! So some follow-up...

The new coolant level sensor and replacement breather hose came in today. I was able to pick up the breather hose through Parts Geek (Breather Hose) for about $32, the sensor a little more. Arrived in 2 days.

I reinstalled the reservoir / sensor and then attached the stock lines to it. After refilling the coolant and burping the system, I started it up. There was no hesitation or delay, it fired right up. As Carnival mentioned, the system pressurized rapidly and no issues were noted. There were no CELs or idle issues. Per Jags recommendations, I brought it up to temp with temp on HI and AC on, fans activated, then let it cool. Topped off the coolant again and drove it around. No issues driving and stayed dead center without overheating. I let it cool in the garage and so far, no coolant drips on the floor.

Also, I left the Norma hose as it was pictured above in the last pic and it seems to hold together tightly without leaking.

I'd like to heat cycle things a few more times before calling this coolant hose drip issue over, but we're off to a great start...fingers crossed!

The following users liked this post:
Carnival Kid (03-05-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty new to the Jaguar scene. Im have the same issue but my leak is much more severe. Is it possible you can post or PM a list of part numbers for the "octopus" and valley houses. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-06-2020, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

You should complete your profile details so we know exactly what year and model of Jag you have as part numbers vary.

860Jag (03-15-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

If you have a naturally aspirated X308 here is a link to a walk-through with part numbers listed for the hoses etc.
https://www.docdroid.net/yUGg4Gg/jag...s-manifold.pdf

Don B (03-22-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do and thank you for the link!

Old 04-21-2022, 10:08 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks