XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJ8 VDP Seat Front Tilt fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:24 PM
|
Default 2000 XJ8 VDP Seat Front Tilt fix?

I was curious if there was any common issue that arises with the front seat's forward tilt operation ? I read some info about modules needing repair..but I heard the motor running, just don't see any movement.

Any info is appreciated - thanks
Pete

Last edited by DayOff; 10-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DayOff
I was curious if there was any common issue that arises with the front seat's forward tilt operation ? I read some info about modules needing repair..but I heard the motor running, just don't see any movement.

Any info is appreciated - thanks
Pete
Pete,

I had that twice, until I fixed it permanent.
If the motor is running, it is most likely the cable disconnected from the tilting mechanism.
The cable kind of click's into the mechanism, but if it is not tight enough, it can come out over time.

If you remove all 4 seat bolts holding the seat to the floor, and put the backrest in an upright position, you can lift the front of the seat enough to get access.
Be careful with the wires and the connectors though.

If I remember well, the mechanism is located on the side of the seat (tunnel side), the corresponding cable comes from the middle rear, you will probably see it hanging loose

All you need to do is bring the cable back to the mechanism and carefully insert it (bit fiddling, you will still feel a kind of pressure-click).

Then prevent the cable from coming loose again.
I used 2 tie raps to prevent the outer cable from moving out, tied to some of the other seat parts you will find there.

All in all < 1/2 hr job.

Old 10-19-2016 | 09:15 AM
|

Thanks for the info Eric - Sounds like it isn't too bad too tackle..will give it a shot!

Pete