XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJ8 VdP - Ticking noise from under driver seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2000 XJ8 VdP - Ticking noise from under driver seat

Hey there,

New here so apologies if this is a dumb question....I bought my 'new' Jag yesterday and noticed a couple of things on the 200 mile drive home as follows:

a) a steady, rhythmic ticking noise from under the driver's seat - which can only be heard while the car is at idle, as you would expect

b) an intermittent, pulsing-like vibration, again from under the driver's seat

Neither of the above are big deals to me as far as driving pleasure goes, but it would help me to know if this is 'normal', and if not, what I can do to try and fix it.

Thanks in anticipation and I look forward to spending more time on these forums :-)

Cheers,

Steve.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Does the seat mechanism work properly - all motorized controls operate as expected? Sounds to me as if one of the switches may be stuck on (or a short in the wiring or the seat control module), and the system that it's trying to drive is repeatedly tripping an over-current sense mode - turning on and off at some time interval.

Have you tried unplugging the driver's seat control module? If it stops, try swapping modules between driver's and passenger's seats. If the problem goes with the module, it is at fault. If it stays with the seat, it's a switch or the associated wiring. THen you should be able to find which switch/wiring is at fault by determining which seat function is not working.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-27-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks QuadManiac.

All seat functions seem to be working fine so I will give your suggestion a go. It makes sense that it could be something sticking on because I test drove another 2000 XJ8 VdP before deciding to buy this one yesterday and that one didn't have the noise.

As the car is so new (to me), I haven't had chance to familiarize myself with it too much, so what does the seat module look like and where is it? Do I need any special tools to get it out etc?

Thanks for your help

Steve.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

They hang from the center bottom of each seat. From what I understand, they are easy to get to, but I haven't played with them; others may have additional tips on removal.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-28-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 AM

Great, thanks again Quad.

I had a look around yesterday and think I have isolated the noise to the lumbar support function in the seat, as when I pressed the lumbar button the ticking noise got faster as the cushion inside the seat back inflated and deflated. So it's almost like the ticking noise is a regulator of some description i.e. something maintaining the pressure in the seatback. That being the case, I am wondering whether swapping the seat modules over will help that much, since the passenger seat does not have the lumbar feature in it's electronic seat adjustment features.

Any further input would be really appreciated, since the noise is there the whole time I am in the car and starting to become irritating.

Cheers,

Steve.