XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 xj8l vandenplas gauges not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018 | 04:46 PM
|
Default 2000 xj8l vandenplas gauges not functioning

Hello all, my name is Joshua, I am new to the jaguar family however i have extensive automotive repair experience with all vehicle systems from diagnosis to repair (which I believe will come in handy owning a jaguar lol). I just acquired a low mileage jaguar xj8l vandenplas. This car has been well kept and is extremely clean.
The previous owner was in the military so the car was stored in a climate controlled garage for the past 5 years without being driven. The battery was discharged for a few years prior to me getting it. I looked over the car and all the fluids are remarkably clean. No fluid leaks of any kind no grease anywhere on the engine. The first attempt to start the car we tried jump-starting it using the appropriate jump start preocdure. The car started and ran well but it was clear the voltage was too low and the battery needed replacing. Climate control didn't work and the defroster stalled the engine. I replaced the battery with a new one and the car started right up. Climate control and all the creature comforts worked perfectly. Now for the fun lol.
None of the instruments work on the car the tach, temp, fuel, speed, all are inoperative. Every other light is lit up on the cluster as well such as the engine, brake, and abs warnings the smaller Amber and red light and of course the display is reading the usual transmission fault, incorrect part fitted, asc not available, traction control blah blah all the usual suspects. The trip computer doesn't function at all with the buttons and sometimes will show the mileage and sometimes not.

Here is what I have done. I scanned the engine ecu, it had a knock sensor voltage code. I cleared that then rescanned after the vehicle ran for about a half hour which it does beautifully. No codes present except for the p1000 code which has no concern to me. Almost all monitors are reset except for catalyst and EVAP. No codes present. Moved the car verified the speed sensor is working also checked the function of all of the engine sensors all are reading normal operating values. I scanned the abs module and saw that all four wheel speed sensors are functioning. They are all reading the same speeds at the same time. The climate control and power seats and mirrors and everything else is working correctly.
I believe I have a faulty instrument cluster. My question to you is can I replace it with a good used working one of the same part without programming or relearning it to the vehicle or should I try and send it out for repair. What are your thoughts on this?

​​​​​​

Old 10-22-2018 | 06:49 PM
|
Default Here are some error messages

Also Everytime I start the car the mileage displayed jumps a few thousand without moving.

Handbrake is not on

Cold start not hight temp. Transmission shifts smoothly into drive and reverse

Car running sitting still no tach and says I am going 70ish

Brake fluid is full

It will only display this message 10 percent of the time. It's full

Old 10-22-2018 | 07:02 PM

413-S484am2 INSTPK CAN failure.pdf describes your fault.

You might want to read the TSB.

I cannot post pics or attachments to this site anymore??

bob

Old 10-22-2018 | 07:15 PM
|

Originally Posted by motorcarman
413-S484am2 INSTPK CAN failure.pdf describes your fault.

You might want to read the TSB.

I cannot post pics or attachments to this site anymore??

bob
Thanks for the response. I will pull the cluster tomorrow and have a look at it

Old 10-23-2018 | 12:04 PM
|
Default Gauge cluster is out

I removed the gauge cluster and noticed right away that the back cover was stamped with a m. Also the solder points the tab mentioned are not present on the board. What are your thoughts on this? Should I try and install a known working one and see what happens?

Production date matches the cars

The two solder points are not present in this board

Last edited by Motown; 10-23-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Oops my bad the production dates did match
Old 10-23-2018 | 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Attached is a copy of the TSB for the repair of the Instrument Pack. I am not positive but I do believe that if you install a new instrument pack it will have to be programmed to the network with dealer level software. I don't think it is plug and play. It's always better to repair what you have.

Attached Files
Old 10-23-2018 | 01:04 PM
|

Thank you for the response. I have followed the tsb and no reworking of the solder is needed. The specific spot pointed out in the tsd does not have those soldering points mentioned that would require reworking anyhow. I included a picture of this as well

Old 07-08-2019 | 05:54 PM

I have the same issue, based on the same situation (battery dead, charged it properly, then when it started I have all the symptoms you describe). This is the SECOND time this has happened to me: a year ago I didn't follow proper jump start precautions and apparently fried the ECU (had it replaced and reprogrammed, along with the TCU). This time I am skeptical of the ECU failure because I had disconnected the battery to charge it. I did replace the TCU again (because I had a spare) but no change. I also have the same issue with the odometer reading jumping up hundreds or thousands of miles every time I start the car. Curious what you discovered. BTW the XJ8 and my car (2000 XKR) use the same cluster, and for our years they are plug-and-play as long as you have the same VCAT number. The odometer is no longer on the smaller circuit board in the cluster as with previous years, so you may have to replace the cluster anyway or live with a half million miles (my original cluster went from 145,000 miles to 280,000 while debugging the first time!).