XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJR fluids, filters and spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2000 XJR fluids, filters and spark plugs

I am going to be changing out all fluids, filters and spark plugs on my new to me Jag, a 2000 XJR. After much research on the forums of the types and amounts I need this is what I have compiled. Please look over my list and tell me if I a correct or not. If you have recommendations for better please let me know

Engine oil- 8 quarts of any brand 5w30 full synthetic
Transmission- 4 quarts Valvoline MaxLife Dex Merc ATF
Brake fluid- 1 quart any brand Super dot-4
Power steering- 1 bottle Castrol Dexron III Syntec ATF
Coolant- 2 gallons Prestone Dexcool 50/50 antifreeze & coolant AF850
Supercharger oil- 8 oz Eaton M112 oil or GM supercharger oil
Differential Fluid- 2 quarts any brand 75w-140 synthetic gear oil
Oil filter- Mann W 719/7
Air filter- Mann C 31 139
Spark plugs- NGK-IFR5N10, 8 of them

Last edited by Jennifer S Flavell; 12-17-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I'm not sure those plugs are right for the 2000. (May well be, just wondering.)

Old 12-17-2015, 05:52 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default a little short...

The list looks pretty good but I think you might be a little short on the tranny fluid. When I was looking thru things here it looked like I needed 8 qts. Also you'll need a new tranny fill tube cap as you apparently break the existing one to get the tube open and a dipstick. I got mine from ebay but haven't done the fluid change yet so you might want to wait for someone who's been thru the whole process.
You'll also want new rubber gaskets for the spark plug covers. One these 4 valve, center plug engines you sometimes find out that the rest of the valve cover gaskets have gone stiff and weepy so you might want to do all the valve cover gaskets while you're in there. The tell tale symptom will be if you find oil in the spark plug recesses. I ran into this on my 540i and northstar engines but will be doing the job on my 99 XJR in the spring so again not much actual help.
While you're looking at the rear end a bunch of people here have talked about cleaning or replacing the differential breather so you might want to look into that topic as well.
Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by dwgates:
Jennifer S Flavell (12-17-2015), XJRay (12-24-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

If doing the transmission fluid you should replace the electrical connector to the transmission. The "O" rings are a known leak area. It's a very simple swap after the fluid is drained. Get the OE Mercedes part -- not aftermarket -- They are available for a bit over $10.

The following users liked this post:
XJRay (12-18-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Youll also need a transmission filter, and gasket. You'll want to change the fluid twice, as a drain only gets about 2/3 of the fluid out. I bought 10 quarts, and have 1.5 left from 2 changes.

Last edited by Mark SF; 12-17-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Jennifer S Flavell (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
If doing the transmission fluid you should replace the electrical connector to the transmission. The "O" rings are a known leak area. It's a very simple swap after the fluid is drained. Get the OE Mercedes part -- not aftermarket -- They are available for a bit over $10.
The electrical connector looks like its above the fluid level. No need to drain to change it, especially with the front jacked up.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Here's my thread from the XK forum, but applicable for your Transmission here:

Originally Posted by 80sRule
NOTE - The dipstick does not just fit in the hole and stay there. You leave the cap in to seal, but the stick is universal and won't sit there like a conventional dipstick and is just used during measuring.

Here's the cap and lock ($9 shipped):

Genuine Mercedes Sprinter Automatic Transmission Filler Cap Lock Clip | eBay

Here's the dipstick ($7 shipped):

1220mm 48" 140589152 Transmission Fluid Dipstick Tool for Mercedes Benz 722 6 | eBay

Great kit to buy, Febi OEM fluid with Pan gasket and filter ($95 shipped):

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2598669/...FZODaQod7UwDgQ

Connector to replace while you're in there since they often leak ($7 shipped):

Mercedes Automatic Transmission Plug Wire Harness Connector Adapter for 722 6xx | eBay

$116 to change the fluid. You can reuse the dipstick tool and lock on future jobs. Really reasonable. You likely don't have a torque converter drain plug, but that kit is so cheap for the good stuff, I'd buy it.
I have the Valvoline ATF in one car and the Febi in the other. The Febi kit I listed is so close to the valvoline when you factor in the pan gasket, filter, bolts and such that it was a nice convenience.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

BTW for Supercharger Oil Change.

This kit if you don't have a good syringe for the task $30 total:

Two GM supercharger Oil w Syringe 4 Ounce Bottle Eaton Coupler Change Kit | eBay

I used that for my XKR, and reused the syringe when doing it on my XJR. Here's just the two bottles of oil you need $16 total:

Amazon.com: ACDelco 10-4041 Synthetic Supercharger Oil - 4 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 10-4041 Synthetic Supercharger Oil - 4 oz: Automotive

It's a really nice syringe I've used on many other items so you're really only paying a fiver in a premium from getting it all kitted.

Here's how you do the work:

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I just did this last night on my car and it's super simple.

First I put the hood into service mode; then I tied back my intercooler hoses, moved some wires out of the way; do all this gently! I also moved one hose behind the dipstick to just keep it clear. This all took maybe a minute. I left the hard line going from tstat housing to overflow tank, its only a year old, but last time i touched it a year ago...

Then I had access with the 3/16" allen wrench. I just used a small one; no ball end, just one that was short and it was easy as can be, then I used the syringe that came with the kit, but I added a WD40 straw as other posters suggested. I taped the straw in, and put a zip tie around it just to be sure it would stay and not have a vacuum leak. I used this setup on the sucking out part:

It was nasty!

When I got it all out, I removed the WD40 Straw from the setup to just be the syringe and black hose. I filled the syringe with fresh SC Oil, which is a very nice clear oil; and kept using the syringe to fill the SC; it took a few times until finally oil started coming out the fill hole. Then I put the plug back in and I was good to go! Then I removed zip ties and routed everything back where it was. Then reconnected the hood struts to the hood and was done.

All in, this took maybe a half hour. The kit was $30 shipped, but you can get a pair of these bottles for $16 on amazon (just bought to do my XJR) and get a syringe setup much cheaper; but honestly they aren't making a fortune off you selling the kit. Plus less time spent shopping around. I'm reusing this syringe setup though, worked perfectly.
The hood struts part won't apply to the XJ but the rest is the same.

The following 2 users liked this post by 80sRule:
Jennifer S Flavell (12-17-2015), XJRay (12-24-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

You might have trouble finding brake fluid that's marked 'super' DOT 4 as this is not really a recognized spec. 'Regular' DOT 4 is acceptable.

There's no requirement for the engine oil to be fully synthetic or semi-synthetic. Regular oil is fine.

Coolant brand name or colour is not a reliable way of choosing an appropriate product. Make sure the spec in the owner's manual is mentioned on the coolant package.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:17 PM

Thanks guys . The links to actual items is very helpful, thank you 80's rule.
Mikey, I don't have the owners manual hence the research and questions.
Dwgates, already planned on doing the gasket covers but thank you for being on top of things . And before anyone asks, the secondary tensioners are going to be done as well.

Last edited by Jennifer S Flavell; 12-17-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

eBay has full owners jackets available; some are available here online.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer S Flavell
Ah, best find one- lots of essential information. I belive the coolant for your year must meet Ford spec WSS M97B44-D .

Old 12-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

On the subject of manuals, the owners manual isn't much use for maintenance, anyway. What you need is JTIS. I ended up buying a Windows XP laptop, so that I could run it. It's available for download on this site.

Next time I would consider subscribing to Alldata DIY - $50 for 5 years, which is half what I spent on the laptop.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys . The links to actual items is very helpful, thank you 80's rule.
Dwgates, already planned on doing the gasket covers but thank you for being on top of things . And before anyone asks, the secondary tensioners are going to be done as well.
Use the Ford parts; it saves a bit of cash.

I used these exact part numbers on my XKR and XJR, I was helped by The Coupe's post, pasted here(note the earlier engine has different VC gasket set, I list the application for a 2000 below):

Originally Posted by The Coupe
I've got a 1997, so here's some help.

The Ford tensioners and bolts definitely fit your car. I installed mine this summer, with perfect results. Here are your part numbers:

Ford PN 2W9Z6K254BA Right Secondary metal bodied Tensioner (1 required)

Ford PN 2W9Z6K254CA Left Secondary metal bodied Tensioner (1 required)

Ford PN W500301S300 Bolt (4 required - YOU MUST USE THESE NEW, SLIGHTLY SHORTER BOLTS)

I purchased mine from sunroadfordparts.com with great pricing. But any Ford dealer should be able to get them for you. If they question you on the fit, just nod your head and tell them you know what you're doing. If you get the above part numbers, I guarantee you they will fit.

The later cam cover gaskets, however, will NOT fit your car. You need to get the proper gaskets (including the o-rings for the spark plug holes) for your model year. Your jag dealer can get them, or I often order Jag parts from Gaudin Jaguar with great pricing.

Good luck...read everything you can on this forum...it's all here.
I bought from sunroad Ford too; excellent experience! I did the zip tie method too as I only did the secondary tensioners.

I also bought valve cover gasket set from RockAuto, a Felpro VS50724R set for a 2001 Lincoln LS 3.9L, for $45 shipped. Currently $36.79 on Rockauto plus shipping.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 12,941 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Engine oil- 8 quarts of any brand 5w30 full synthetic
Transmission- 4 quarts Valvoline MaxLife Dex Merc ATF
Brake fluid- 1 quart any brand Super dot-4
Power steering- 1 bottle Castrol Dexron III Syntec ATF
Coolant- 2 gallons Prestone Dexcool 50/50 antifreeze & coolant AF850
Supercharger oil- 8 oz Eaton M112 oil or GM supercharger oil
Differential Fluid- 2 quarts any brand 75w-140 synthetic gear oil
Oil filter- Mann W 719/7
Air filter- Mann C 31 139
Spark plugs- NGK-IFR5N10, 8 of them
Hi Jennifer,

The Vehicle Specifications manual available at the link below will answer many of your questions:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...sb_09_2003.pdf

And you can download the 2000 Vehicle Care Handbook here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s4...e+Handbook.pdf

NGK is the definitely the spark plug OEM. However, there is a disagreement between the above two documents. The Vehicle Specifications manual states that from MY 2000 the XJR uses NGK IFR5N10 (7866) (Jaguar part number AJ8 4575 (iridium)). This is the same plug specified for our '04 XJR. But the Vehcile Care Handbook, as well as the NGK parts finder website, state that your 2000 XJR uses NGK PFR5G-11E (2341) plugs. You may need to pull one of the plugs from your engine to confirm which ones are currently installed. See the NGK parts finder here:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/

Mann is the filter OEM so you're good there.

You probably already know this, but you'll save money buying Prestone DexCool concentrate and diluting it 50/50 with distilled water yourself. The pre-diluted coolant costs almost as much as the concentrate even though it is half water....

For some reason the Vehicle Specifications manual linked to above does not include specs for Brake Fluid. For our '04 X350 XJR with Brembo brakes, the specification is DOT4+ or DOT4 Plus, which has a higher wet boiling point of 180C compared to 165C for regular DOT4. Pentosin, GM and probably others also offer "Super DOT4," which I have read has a higher dry boiling point than regular DOT4, but I have not confirmed this. If you find that you can't use regular DOT4 and instead need DOT4+ or Super DOT4, you can get the Pentosin versions from an O'Reilly or AutoZone store, though it may need to be ordered from their warehouse.

Regarding the transmission fluid, if your XJR is equipped with the Mercedes 5G-Tronic W5A580 gearbox, according to the X308 Workshop Manual the original fluid specification was Shell ATF 3403 - M115 and the capacity is 10 quarts. The procedure for getting the fluid level correct is a little more involved than in other cars you may have owned, including the need to know the temperature of the fluid. See the procedure in the Workshop Manual, which you can download in pdf form here courtesy of chermie at the U.K. forum:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13224034/XJ-...Manual.pdf.zip

And the excerpt of just the XJR transmission fluid change procedure can be downloaded here, courtesy of jimlombardi:

2003 XJR Transmission Drain & Fill.pdf

According to the document below, Valvoline recommends its Maxlife ATF as a replacement for Shell ATF 3403 - M115, but I would recommend confirming that other X308 XJR owners have used it successfully:

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...%206.10.13.pdf

Also, if your gearbox is not fitted with a dipstick, now might be a great time to add one:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ipstick-14555/

As Mark mentioned, not all of the transmission fluid will empty from the drain plug. 4 or 5 quarts will remain in the torque converter. A common method of increasing the amount of old fluid that is replaced is to drain and refill the transmission following the instructions in the Workshop Manual, drive the car awhile to mix the new fluid with the old, then drain, replace the filter and pan gasket, and refill following the instructions in the Workshop Manual. If you really want to be thorough, do a second drain and refill before you drop the pan to replace the filter.

Regarding differential fluid, I've used both the Valvoline and Lucas synthetic 75W-140 gear oils for many years over tens of thousands of miles with zero problems, and both are commonly available at local auto parts stores.

As far as engine oil goes, our local Wal-Mart sells major brands such as Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 in 5-quart jugs for less than $25.00, so the extra cost of using synthetic oil is minimal.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-17-2015 at 08:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
EssOess (12-26-2015), Jennifer S Flavell (12-17-2015), XJRay (12-18-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

A good option for brake fluid, and you can buy this stuff just about everywhere, is this :
Valvoline/32 oz. DOT 3 and 4 brake fluid 601458 - Read 1 Reviews on Valvoline #601458

Boiling point is 446F, which is 230C.

I found an excellent write-up on changing the fluid on the Mercedes 722.6 transmission, here :

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...uid_Change.htm

I followed this procedure when I did the fluid, last week.

"but I would recommend confirming that other X308 XJR owners have used it successfully:"

I've used it successfully for a week! But there seem to be plenty of happy users over on the Mercedes forums.

Last edited by Mark SF; 12-17-2015 at 08:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark SF:
Don B (12-17-2015), Jennifer S Flavell (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Received 12,941 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Mark,

You don't mention the model year of your XJR so this may not be applicable to Jennifer's 2000, but do you happen to know what spark plugs Jaguar specified for your car?

Don

Old 12-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

That's pretty much the only service item I haven't done. When I got the car a year ago, I looked at the plugs, and they looked great.

Oh, the link was bad for the transmission service, fixed it now.

Last edited by Mark SF; 12-17-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:41 PM

Ok, bought the GM supercharger oil kit off of ebay, thanks 80's rule. Do I need to purchase all 4 things you listed for the transmission fluid change or just the kit?

Went to Autozone since they do a 10% military discount and picked up the following:
2 gallons Prestone Dex-cool 50/50 antifreeze & coolant.
1 liter Pentosine Super Dot-4 brake fluid
2 quarts Valvoline SYNpower 75w-140 gear oil
Duralast FF3504DL fuel filter
8 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 motor oil
STP S5618 oil filter (was a special with 5 quarts of the motor oil and sales guy looked up and said it was compatible with my 2000 xjr)
STP SA8720 air filter (they did not carry Mann filters and he looked up which STP filter for my car)

Now spark plugs he could not find the ones I listed above but according to his computer my car takes NGK BKR6EIX-11. I have seen these mentioned in the forums. I purchased 8 of them.

For power steering we could find nothing with Dexron III mentioned.
All Dexron fluids were in the transmission fluid area and none said Dexron III specifically but on the back you could find wording saying compatible. Too confusing so I held off buying that until I can get more clarification from you all.

Did I do ok on my purchases or should anything in particular be returned ASAP and something else gotten instead?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

STP wouldn't be my favourite brand of filter, but they're probably OK. Just avoid Fram oil filters. My local O Reilly has Fram on the shelf, but has Wix behind the counter if you ask. All the filters I've bought for the last 5 years have been Wix, including various fuel filters for my boat. Excellent quality to price ratio.

For the transmission, based on what I found last week when I serviced mine, I strongly recommend dropping the pan and changing the filter and gasket, as opposed to the just drain and fill procedure that is in the JTIS. The bottom of the pan was covered in a thick layer of black sludge, and the filter was the same inside.

I left the electrical connector alone as it didn't look like it was leaking.

To service the transmission you need :

Filter
Gasket
Fluid (10 qts)
Optional : drain plug washer
Dipstick
A spare locking pin for the cap on top of the dipstick tube.

The transmission is variously known as the Mercedes NAG-1, WA580, and 722.6.

Here is the kit I used, and bought my own Valvoline Maxlife ATF at Walmart :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131650971352...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are many, many options for kits on Ebay. Search for Mercedes 722.6.

Last edited by Mark SF; 12-17-2015 at 08:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mark SF:
Don B (12-17-2015), Jennifer S Flavell (12-17-2015), XJRay (12-18-2015)

Quick Reply: 2000 XJR fluids, filters and spark plugs