XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJR wont go past 15 mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 11:55 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2000 XJR wont go past 15 mph

Hi Gang,

Looking at a dirt cheap, running limp mode, XJR with 110k miles. Owners claims that the supercharger/intake needs work. I'm going to check it out in a couple of days. What specifically should I look for when evaluating one of these XJR's? I'm going to do an overall inspection, but specifically with the supercharger/intake what hints might you guys share? Thank you all!
P.s. I'm mechanically inclined to repair/replace things. I am only considering this care because it's so cheap but overall looks quite clean.
Best,
Carlos

Old 02-20-2023, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

Supercharger - most common failure is the snout coupler, they crack and cause a rattling noise when spinning due to excess lash. You can feel it by taking off the belt and seeing how much free rotational play there is in the sc pulley.

Intake - common failures are cracks at plastic seams, leaks at the full load breather (hose going from valve cover to intake), maybe a fouled MAF sensor. One other sorta-common intake failure with SC cars is the SC outlet gaskets, at the "V8 plate" where it splits into the two intercoolers, those coupler gaskets can get partially collapsed or "sucked in" and cause a bad leak.

Other things to check: RUST, bring a code scanner to figure out the limp fault, tensioners been done (primary and secondary)? I'm sure there's tons of other things to look at like suspension, but if the bones are good and the engine is OK and price is right then I'd just lump suspension overhaul in as part of the "fixer upper" discount.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by nilanium
Supercharger - most common failure is the snout coupler, they crack and cause a rattling noise when spinning due to excess lash. You can feel it by taking off the belt and seeing how much free rotational play there is in the sc pulley.

Intake - common failures are cracks at plastic seams, leaks at the full load breather (hose going from valve cover to intake), maybe a fouled MAF sensor. One other sorta-common intake failure with SC cars is the SC outlet gaskets, at the "V8 plate" where it splits into the two intercoolers, those coupler gaskets can get partially collapsed or "sucked in" and cause a bad leak.

Other things to check: RUST, bring a code scanner to figure out the limp fault, tensioners been done (primary and secondary)? I'm sure there's tons of other things to look at like suspension, but if the bones are good and the engine is OK and price is right then I'd just lump suspension overhaul in as part of the "fixer upper" discount.
Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much. After looking at pics, entire intake tube looks suspect. Those couplers from the V8 plate to intercooler FOR SURE look collapsed and not as they should be. I see one hose that is patched with some type of tape. Hopefully he takes my offer and I can limp away with it.

Any other common weak points like sunroof, windows, locking mechanisms etc?

Will check for rust, leaks, damage and suspect engine sounds.

Will a typical OBDII scanner work?

Old 02-20-2023, 02:19 PM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by booshiba
Will a typical OBDII scanner work?
For engine codes yes. Invest in one that can have Jaguar specific diagnosis. You'll get airbags, control modules and a bunch more.
Shamless plug: If body/interior great, I've got a '01 XJR engine and tranny for sale in Marketplace on the forum.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
For engine codes yes. Invest in one that can have Jaguar specific diagnosis. You'll get airbags, control modules and a bunch more.
Shamless plug: If body/interior great, I've got a '01 XJR engine and tranny for sale in Marketplace on the forum.
Thank you, sir.

Body interior are rough but it's my type of elbow grease so not terribly worried. Hoping engine/Trans don't need replacing, if thats the case I will walk away from it. But thank you!

Old 02-20-2023, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 844 Posts

The XJR engine has 2 fuel pumps with the 2nd not coming on until 4000 RPM

the first fuel pump can be failing and you can bring in the 2nd fuel pump by jumpering the relay

the V8 engine has 2 either MAF or TPS sensors with 1/2 of the sensor dedicated to signaling the transmission ECM

The connector to the MAF can be incorrect wired if the MAF was replaced , as it's been done by others from reading

you most likely have the AJ27 engine that has the steel sleeves in the cylinders ' there was some wiring changes from the earlier AJ26 engine

Your OBD 2 codes are hear

AJ27_ECM_2000.pdf (jagrepair.com)

Your engine manuals here

www.jagrepair.com/images/Training Guides/881 Manual-9-5-01.pdf

Your wiring guide here , see page 102

X300 00/E COVER (jagrepair.com)

Last edited by Parker 7; 02-20-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Parker 7
The XJR engine has 2 fuel pumps with the 2nd not coming on until 4000 RPM

the first fuel pump can be failing and you can bring in the 2nd fuel pump by jumpering the relay

the V8 engine has 2 either MAF or TPS sensors with 1/2 of the sensor dedicated to signaling the transmission ECM

The connector to the MAF can be incorrect wired if the MAF was replaced , as it's been done by others from reading

you most likely have the AJ27 engine that has the steel sleeves in the cylinders ' there was some wiring changes from the earlier AJ26 engine

Your OBD 2 codes are hear

AJ27_ECM_2000.pdf (jagrepair.com)

Your engine manuals here

www.jagrepair.com/images/Training Guides/881 Manual-9-5-01.pdf

Your wiring guide here , see page 102

X300 00/E COVER (jagrepair.com)

thank you for all of this info. The links do not work unfortunately.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

My 01 went into gearbox fault shortly after I got it off the trailer and put my license plates on it. It was stuck in 2nd gear and below 3000 rpm which kept me at about 15mph or so. My specific issue was the dual linear switch went bad in the shifter mechanism. P0705 was what I got on my code reader.

As others have mentioned, the codes are critical here, get them and check here in the x308 forum because I'll bet someone has already addressed pretty much anything thats likely to go wrong.

Old 02-22-2023, 12:16 AM

Good to know! Fingers crossed it's a simple fix and I can still get it for cheap. CODES CODES CODES.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 844 Posts

The Jagrepair website goes down sometimes, and you might download them later and keep as a saved file

Old 03-14-2023, 04:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you, sir.

Body interior are rough but it's my type of elbow grease so not terribly worried. Hoping engine/Trans don't need replacing, if thats the case I will walk away from it. But thank you!
So - I'm pretty sure I bought this very car if you're referring to the one in San Antonio... It does run, has a bunch of misfire and other codes, at least one of which will definitely invoke the "reduced power" warning. Car has 109k on it, clear coat is shot thanks to Texas sun but otherwise body in great shape - no rust, or prior damage. Car has been sitting for many, many years, even with the two years this seller had had it. Has only covered 2,000 miles since 2017 based on current odo and last oil change sticker on windshield. Looks to have had shocks done prior to it sitting. Tires are toast, good tread but 2011 and 2004 date codes. Supposedly has had both fuel pumps replaced but the seller acknowledged fuel filter hadn't been changed when he did the pumps. Sun and heat have definitely cooked some of the interior bits. Brakes are really low and need work too. Been lurking here for many years and finally decided to make one of these a project now that I have more time. Plan is to do LS swap like pcolapacker has going. Only need to get it running well enough to get rest of car sorted, then engine/trans come out for Jaguar Specialties kit. Body will stay as-is, patina and all. Interior will get spruced up to some degree but not concours level perfection. Once I get started on it in earnest later this spring, I'll put a stand-alone thread up for that.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 57loboy
So - I'm pretty sure I bought this very car if you're referring to the one in San Antonio... It does run, has a bunch of misfire and other codes, at least one of which will definitely invoke the "reduced power" warning. Car has 109k on it, clear coat is shot thanks to Texas sun but otherwise body in great shape - no rust, or prior damage. Car has been sitting for many, many years, even with the two years this seller had had it. Has only covered 2,000 miles since 2017 based on current odo and last oil change sticker on windshield. Looks to have had shocks done prior to it sitting. Tires are toast, good tread but 2011 and 2004 date codes. Supposedly has had both fuel pumps replaced but the seller acknowledged fuel filter hadn't been changed when he did the pumps. Sun and heat have definitely cooked some of the interior bits. Brakes are really low and need work too. Been lurking here for many years and finally decided to make one of these a project now that I have more time. Plan is to do LS swap like pcolapacker has going. Only need to get it running well enough to get rest of car sorted, then engine/trans come out for Jaguar Specialties kit. Body will stay as-is, patina and all. Interior will get spruced up to some degree but not concours level perfection. Once I get started on it in earnest later this spring, I'll put a stand-alone thread up for that.
Glad you picked it up! My mind changes a ton. I let it go as I'm now going for a 2017 supercharged Range Rover lol I will follow whatever thread you start.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:12 PM

Glad you picked it up! My mind changes a ton. I let it go as I'm now going for a 2017 supercharged Range Rover lol I will follow whatever thread you start.
My mind changes a lot too. This is vehicle number 89 for me. I too had a thing for Range Rover for a while, but older ones. Had 4 different 1995 Range Rover Classic LWB. I think my love of English automotive weirdness is recurring... The '17s are much better than the earlier versions of that model.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:28 PM

My mind changes a lot too. This is vehicle number 89 for me. I too had a thing for Range Rover for a while, but older ones. Had 4 different 1995 Range Rover Classic LWB. I think my love of English automotive weirdness is recurring... The '17s are much better than the earlier versions of that model.
nice! I've had an 88 Range, an 00 P38, 01 disco and an 08 range currently. Very ready for a 2017 supercharged

Old 03-15-2023, 04:08 PM

nice! I've had an 88 Range, an 00 P38, 01 disco and an 08 range currently. Very ready for a 2017 supercharged
Keep that '08 L322, those are one of the best years ever. (2007-2009 specifically) I had one and it was amazing. Sold it only because I got bored...)

Old 03-15-2023, 04:10 PM

Keep that '08 L322, those are one of the best years ever. (2007-2009 specifically) I had one and it was amazing. Sold it only because I got bored...)
oh I'm aware lol but I'm bored! Darn. Now you have me 2nd guessing myself.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:39 PM

oh I'm aware lol but I'm bored! Darn. Now you have me 2nd guessing myself.
I have an '00 XJR that I might, well - um.. Hmmmmmmm I do sort of miss my Rangey too.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:58 PM

I have an '00 XJR that I might, well - um.. Hmmmmmmm I do sort of miss my Rangey too.
lol let me know if you wanna buy my '08 haha

Old 03-16-2023, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 451 Likes on 371 Posts

I had a 79 Land rover that was kinda cool but I could
not keep a clutch in it.

The following users liked this post:
57loboy (03-17-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 11:32 AM
Received 326 Likes on 190 Posts

I've had two LRs, both great for when I was young enough to keep fixing them.

200Tdi Disco on 33" tyres, lockers, twin batts, winch, snorkel & hand painted G4 challenge orange etc etc
The second was a '78? Lw/Wt S3 with a RR V8 & gearbox dropped in. That was fun but drank more fuel than my XJR.

The following users liked this post:
57loboy (03-17-2023)