XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 JAGUAR XJ8 VDP X308 Shocks replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink 2001 JAGUAR XJ8 VDP X308 Shocks replacement

My Dear Jaguar Friends,

My 2001 JAGUAR XJ8 VDP X308 has a couple of issues to be fixed.
The first one, is to change all 4 shocks with bushes. My understanding, the right way to go is with Bilstein brand.

Could anyone be kind to indicate me to the right place to purchase with correct item number and all parts needed.
Also, recommend if better to choose standard or sport suspension?
Is it better to change completely the plate shock mount?
What about the Spring Upper Insulator (Big Donut Bush), better to change and where to get?

Thank you so much in advance for your help and support.
Cheers,
Michelle

Old 02-21-2021, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

Michelle,

It is highly recommended that you replace your shocks with OEM Bilsteins, while not cheap they are of a high quality and you do get what you pay for.
Here is a link to VDP comfort Bilstein shocks for sale on eBay at a very reasonable price (these very same items would be $1,200 at your Jaguar dealership)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Jaguar-...IAAOSw1XNZpTLP

Yes definitely replace the complete shockplate mount for the front Suspension, they are very reasonably priced at Rock Auto ($25 per side) and are easy to replace.

Yes, definitely replace the upper donut bushing for the rear suspension, it is advised to purchase these from genuine Jaguar parts supplier SNG Barrett part # MMD3565AA ($49.00 each)
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...assembly/13735

Whether to use sport rated shocks or comfort rated shocks is a decision only you can make, as your car is a VDP it is designed for comfort shocks, but if you want a harsher ride you could install sport shocks.......but personally I wouldn't recommend it as i like the softer more comfortable ride of the VDP. (BTW, comfort shocks are colored black, sport shocks are colored green))

The front shocks are easy to replace, the rears are not.

If you intend to do the work yourself we can link you to forum threads that cover the work process.

CK

The following 2 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
diablobuck (03-01-2021), RA110623 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:17 AM

You are the best CK! Thank you for all your detailed info with exact links. This is very very helpful.

Quick questions:
For the shocks on ebay when clicking on compatibility vehicle link, it shows that not compatible with 2001 Jaguar Vanden Plas, Why do you think is that?
Also, do I need to buy the shocks nuts separately? or they come with it?
For the shockplate mount which model has to be ordered on rock auto? I heard to be careful on the diameter center hole to ensure the shock top arm can go trough it to be securely fastened.
Great advice for the rear donut bushing, do I need to buy the spring pan as well?
Is SNG Barrett located in the US? To get an idea on freight charges.

I totally agree with you the VDP is to be comfortable while cruising, so the standard colored black are the one I will go with. :-)

I use to go to an independent Jaguar technician expert mechanics for both of my Jaguars, but unfortunately it is no longer an option.
Therefore I am taking this as a challenge to tackle on my own. Any support on the work process is more than welcome.

Again thank you for your kindness sharing your expertise and directions to the right places.
I do greatly appreciate.
Cheers,
Michelle

Old 02-21-2021, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Michelle,

Not sure why you find the eBay ad does not include a 2001 VDP as being compatible, as it shows all other appropriate XJ8s being correct, and the part numbers it quotes are those for a 2001 VDP, so it can only be a glitch at their end. And if it helps further, this is the exact eBay sale where I purchased the units for my 2001 VDP. The units come with all bushings etc. (not the donuts, they need to be ordered separately as mentioned previously) but not hardware, you should be able to reuse the existing nuts/bolts with no problem.

The Rock auto front plates are MNC2168AF (right) and MNC2169AF (left) and I see they have them on sale for just $18,75, that is a complete bargain. (your vehicle does not have adaptive ride control)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ock+mount,7572

Regarding the rear spring pans, neither are typical wear items, they do not move, they are basically simple stationary spacer items. The upper one (MMD3563AA) is pretty expensive at $60+ each, so I wouldn't think you need to replace. The lower one (CCC7350) is half that price but still shouldn't be a wear item. You could wait and inspect and decide as necessary.

When replacing the front shocks you may want to replace the Gaiter(s) (MND2148AB) and Rubber Stop(s) (MND2150AB), I would order these from SNG Barrett.

The front shock replacement is so easy it barely needs instructions, should take less than 30 minutes each side.

The rear shock replacement is a different story...........there is a instructional thread with video on the forum, give me a little while and I should be able to track it down and post a link here.

To tackle the rear shocks you should have at least reasonable mechanical experience and expertise.

SNG Barrett is located in New Hampshire, USA.

CK

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 02-21-2021 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
diablobuck (05-06-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Michelle,

Here is a link to the forum thread on replacement of the rear shocks...........
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-201680/

CK

diablobuck (05-06-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM

Fantastic! Fantastic CK!
Your expertise and detailed explanation with links saved me so much time and money!
I am ordering all now. To be on the same side, I think I should order the nuts and bolts for front and back in case the current ones on the car are not OEM.
Do you happen to have the part number and where it is best to buy? I feel like I am asking you a lot, but you re so knowledgeable that you make me so confident to order the right parts.
You are Fantastic CK! Thank you!
Michelle

PS: Thank you for the excellent video share on how to change the rear shocks!

Old 02-21-2021, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

For convenience I would order bolts/nuts from SNG Barrett with the rest of the items. Here is the info for the front.......and a link....
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...assembly/13734

Shouldn't need the rear one as it is pretty specialized, but here is the info anyway.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...assembly/13735

I have received so much help from forum members here that it is my privilege to help others when I can.

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 02-21-2021 at 02:21 PM.
diablobuck (05-06-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 02:39 PM

Thank you CB!
I think I have everything now.
I appreciate for you being so nice and humble.

Below your signature is that all the work you did on your VDP?
2001 XJ8 Vanden Plas Carnival Red/Ivory, now 80K miles
Timing Chains & Tensioners, Water Pump, Thermostat Housing, Manifold Heater Hoses, Engine Mounts, Cradle "V" Bushings, Bilstein Shocks F&R, Carrier Bearing & Couplings, Sway-Bar & Rack & Pinion Bushings, Transgo Trans Valve, Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads F&R, ABS Unit, New Fuel Pump, Trunk & Hood Struts, New Gas/Brake Fluid/Coolant Caps, Custom Gearshift Knob, Custom Trunk Net, Custom Exhaust Tips, Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michelle Silvertone + VDP

Below your signature is that all the work you did on your VDP?
2001 XJ8 Vanden Plas Carnival Red/Ivory, now 80K miles
Timing Chains & Tensioners, Water Pump, Thermostat Housing, Manifold Heater Hoses, Engine Mounts, Cradle "V" Bushings, Bilstein Shocks F&R, Carrier Bearing & Couplings, Sway-Bar & Rack & Pinion Bushings, Transgo Trans Valve, Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads F&R, ABS Unit, New Fuel Pump, Trunk & Hood Struts, New Gas/Brake Fluid/Coolant Caps, Custom Gearshift Knob, Custom Trunk Net, Custom Exhaust Tips, Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires.
Yes, that and more.....the signature only allows so many characters, so I ran out of space LOL!

Old 02-21-2021, 04:39 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I've tried both KYB and Bilsteins and on an XJ8 I actually prefer the stiffer KYBs, its still a quality part. On an XJR however the KYBs are a bit too harsh. It all depends on your ride preference.

Last edited by anduha; 02-21-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:43 AM

WOW! That is already impressive! I see you changed to custom Exhaust Tips and Gearshift Knob. Which one did you use? Do you have any pictures to see how it look?
Thank you!
Michelle

Old 02-22-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

WOW! I see you changed to custom Exhaust Tips and Gearshift Knob. Which one did you use? Do you have any pictures to see how it look?

The exhaust tips I found on eBay, they are quite a lot larger, but don't look that much bigger, it's only when you compare them side-by-side with the originals that you realize how much bigger they are.

The custom gear shift knob was also sourced from eBay, when I bought mine it was $72.00, but I see they are $130.00 now!

diablobuck (05-06-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:26 PM

Very nice, always the small details that make the difference..

Old 02-23-2021, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chenged the rear shocks on my vdp 2001 first thing when I got her last year.
I always had the sports and always think they are very comfortable and I cannot see how I would want her to be softer.
One very important thing I haven't read : do you know if u have regular shocks, or computer adapted, or even air suspension?
Each comfort and sports come in these three versions.
You can tell the air easy by some hoses. The computer you don't see as the cable goes thru the top of the shock.
The replacement is very easy in my opinion.
I am not experienced just a bit talented. A complete video is on YouTube.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Michelle,

Here is a link to the forum thread on replacement of the rear shocks...........
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-201680/

CK
Hi CK,

It has been almost a month and I still do not have all parts (4 Shocks, bushes, etc..) SNG Barratt & Rock Auto perfect, but ebay vendor sent me 2 different front shocks (one soft and one hard) been returned now and waiting to receive replacements. (Claim to vendor is a headache on its own, which is not finished as I am still waiting to receive the corrects 2 front shocks).

In a meantime I have reviewed again the video demonstrating the shortcut on how to change the rear shocks. And was wondering if it is valid for the X308 as the video is titled for X300.
Lastly I could not find anywhere what is the exact torque to apply on each different bolts. Do you happen to know where it could be found?

Thank you,
Michelle

Old 03-13-2021, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

Hi CK,
In a meantime I have reviewed again the video demonstrating the shortcut on how to change the rear shocks. And was wondering if it is valid for the X308 as the video is titled for X300.
Lastly I could not find anywhere what is the exact torque to apply on each different bolts. Do you happen to know where it could be found?

Thank you,
Michelle
yes it's exactly the same

http://www.mediafire.com/file/an8rou...anual_1998.pdf

Old 03-13-2021, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Michelle,

The mix-up with the shocks sucks, hopefully it all works out in the end.

Yes the procedure is the same for X300/X308.

The torque values are a little hard to find, but they are all in the workshop manual.

Here's some pics taken directly from the manual.........

diablobuck (05-06-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 PM

Thank you Xalty for the quick reply and complete pdf file for XJ.
I just read inside for front shocks "Tighten the shock absorber upper lock nut to 30-40 Nm"
(30-40 Nm) what does that mean? 30 to 40 pound of torque?

Old 03-13-2021, 08:17 PM

Thank you CK for the detailed and very helpful reply!
Nm = pound of torque right?

Once I finally get all parts, I will make sure to take video and pictures of the assembly to later post online and give you credits for the better support and knowledge than Jaguar dealers

Cheers,
Michelle

Old 03-13-2021, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 835 Posts

30 Newton meters is 22 ft lbs.
40 Newton meters is 29 ft lbs.
I searched for a Newton meters to foot pounds calculator online.

Make sure you hold the shock above the threads still while tightening the nut. Having the weight of the car with the wheels on the ground before tightening the upper shock nut would be best.

diablobuck (05-06-2021)

Quick Reply: 2001 JAGUAR XJ8 VDP X308 Shocks replacement