|

Thank you for the tip Addicted2boost!
Cheers,
Michelle

Old 03-29-2021 | 06:39 PM
|

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Michelle,

The mix-up with the shocks sucks, hopefully it all works out in the end.

Yes the procedure is the same for X300/X308.

The torque values are a little hard to find, but they are all in the workshop manual.

Here's some pics taken directly from the manual.........

Hi CK,
I finally received the correct shocks yesterday.
Therefore I intend to start working to replace the rear first. (More difficult first)
I have read again again all your forums to get acquainted with the job.
There is one details that I did not really understand.
You wrote:
"I used M. Stojanivic's scissor jack method, and found this worked very well. And also agree that you can get even more clearance with the UJ in the "X" position"

M. Stojanivic wrote:

"And one more thing (probably known to others who have done this work) - I found out that, if you position the UJ in the "X" orientation (not "+"), it allows highest travel down".
What "UJ" is referring, what does it means?
Thank you for your help again.
Best,
Michelle

Old 03-29-2021 | 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Michelle,

The Universal Joint (UJ) in question is the inboard UJ at the differential. When you remove the rear wheel and jack the car up in order to get the most "drop" of the rear stub axle it is best to pre-arrange to have the associated half-shaft in a position whereby it can be allowed to drop the maximum amount.

Once the car is up on jacks and the wheel removed, the gear select is by now already in park and the rear half shaft cannot now be rotated, so as a precaution is is advised to make sure ahead of time that the said UJ is in a position that allows the most free drop. It is not absolutely essential, but does make it easier. I did one of my sides and had failed to get the UJ in the optimal position and so had to fight a little against minimal clearance, whereas if I had thought ahead of time and made sure the halfshaft could drop the maximum amount it would have been a little easier.

Here's a pic to try and point out the universal joint in question............

Old 03-29-2021 | 08:54 PM
|

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Michelle,

The Universal Joint (UJ) in question is the inboard UJ at the differential. When you remove the rear wheel and jack the car up in order to get the most "drop" of the rear stub axle it is best to pre-arrange to have the associated half-shaft in a position whereby it can be allowed to drop the maximum amount.

Once the car is up on jacks and the wheel removed, the gear select is by now already in park and the rear half shaft cannot now be rotated, so as a precaution is is advised to make sure ahead of time that the said UJ is in a position that allows the most free drop. It is not absolutely essential, but does make it easier. I did one of my sides and had failed to get the UJ in the optimal position and so had to fight a little against minimal clearance, whereas if I had thought ahead of time and made sure the halfshaft could drop the maximum amount it would have been a little easier.

Here's a pic to try and point out the universal joint in question............

Thank you CK for providing details as what is the (UJ)
Sorry to be so novice, but could you tell step by step what I need to do to ensure that the UJ is in the right position before proceeding the extraction.
Thank you for your kind help and directions.
All the best,
Michelle

Old 03-30-2021 | 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Michelle,

Simply put the car in neutral and rotate the rear wheel/halfshaft in question to the desired position.

(And of course when working on a vehicle always have the vehicle well chocked to avoid any forward/backward movement of the vehicle).

CK

Old 03-30-2021 | 03:49 PM
|

Thank you CK!
You are the best