XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 XJ8 Cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:05 PM
TJL
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2001 XJ8 Cooling issue

Hello all, this is my second post on the forum, the first being in the new member area.

Right to the issue. My wife experienced an upper radiator hose failure a few weeks ago. She was 80 miles away, but another person on scene noticed that the hose had slipped off the thermostat housing. When it blew she pulled over immediately and shut down. The vehicle was flat bedded to a Jaguar dealer for repair. I explained to the dealership the hose had merely slipped off and dumped the fluid and while it was there check it out and re-clamp with aero clamps.( I had to go for rear brakes anyway).

We picked up the car and they had changed the thermostat, which they claimed was bad, changed the upper radiator hose, the one that slipped off because of a weak squeeze clamp, and serpentine belt which they said was contaminated and would forever make noise and slip. I have the old parts, a standard practice of mine.

We picked the vehicle up after they said it was complete , the cooling system was fine. aEverything seemed normal on the ride home and for a few more days(cool days) after that. She then took the vehicle on another 80 mile journey on a warm day. After sitting for 5 hours, she started a drive home. Within 2-3 miles the temp gauge started to climb. She pulled over immediately shut down and called me. We decided to have the car flat bedded home by AAA so I could take a look at it.

This is what I discovered. About an hour later after it arrived by flatbed, and with the car cooled down I started it. The temp remained normal for about 5 minutes until I shut it down. I started it again , and the temp still remained normal. I then drove it a short distance. All still seemed normal. Arriving back at home, I selected auto cool. As soon as I did that the temp started rising toward an overheat. I shut it down immediately. After it cooled I started it and checked under the hood. I noticed only the lower left cooling fan running. I selected auto/high fan to induce both fans to run and only the lower left would run, but then it stopped. I checked the engine compartment fuses and found fuse F12, 30 AMP Radiator Cooling fan series/right -hand fast blown. I replaced the fuse and the lower left fan started working again. I tapped the right hand fan and it started to spin, but very slowly.

After searching this forum I stumbled across a problem similar to mine.The post indicated the fan controller relay could be the culprit. It described how to checki the fan controller relay for voltage to the fans. After reading that post I suspect it's either the controller or fan. I have the tools and multimeter, just feel a bit intimidated by the car.

I welcome any suggestions, even if it's for moral support! Thanks, Tim

Last edited by TJL; 05-11-2015 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
peterportdover (05-15-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

Replace the faulty fan and go on with your life.
One can often fail and they need to run in series for LOW.

bob gauff

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
peterportdover (05-15-2015), TJL (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Good grief man, how about some paragraphs?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 AM
TJL

I checked the voltages from the fan controller and the were all good. I checked the connector to the right hand fan and it had 12 volts going to it. I removed the assembly and removed the offending fan. I tapped it gently on the bench and a pile of black soot fell out. I then hooked up 12 volts to it and it ran. So I put it all back together in the car and believe or not, it now works as advertised. But, I know better. They are old and will fail again. So with that being said, I'm going to purchase a new fan assembly, the whole shroud with dual fans. Very expensive, between 5 and 9 hundred dollars, but cheap insurance to protect the engine. I could cheap out and purchase a used fan, but why throw good money after a part that has been used and could fail quickly.
As for my grammar and paragraphs, I'll work on that! I had a stroke a few years back and it is a quite a challenge sometimes for me to write. Thanks for the input Bob and Mark!!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Good grief man, how about some paragraphs?
I already fixed one post today, I am done for now, lol.

Sorry about your disability, but one large block of text will cause most of us to pass on your post as it is very difficult to read.
Vector

TJL (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 11:54 AM
TJL

Mark, you are right. My first post was terrible. It gave me a headache. I went back and edited it. Hope it's better. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited by TJL; 05-11-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TJL
Very expensive, between 5 and 9 hundred dollars, but cheap insurance to protect the engine. I could cheap out and purchase a used fan, but why throw good money after a part that has been used and could fail quickly.
I needed a new fan motor. Cheapest complete assembly I could find new was about $500 or $550.

I did find two new motors only on Ebay from a damaged housing going cheap but so did someone else, who was quicker at typing in a credit card number than I was.

I tried searching for the fan motor, it's labeled Gate MP 8125 or Xj2 9010641 I think. My old one is in the car, I'll try and remember to double check tomorrow.

But I didn't have any success trying to find somewhere to just buy the motors or motor+fan without the shroud, although I did find references to the same fan motor and what looked like the same fan blade unit for other vehicles.

In the end I put in two used fans. They're working ... for now.

TJL (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 PM
TJL

Thanks Auspuff for the information.

I finally decided to purchase a new assembly from NEXTDAY/AUTO for around $600.00. It's a genuine Jaguar part as advertised. The shipping box has Jaguar decals and says Made for Jaguar in Italy. It's identical the old part. It was at the front door by UPS less than 24 hours after I ordered it. Very nice.

The only problem with the new one was a broken locking clip on one of the connectors on one motor. (explained below) Those connectors have that serrated rubber boot and are tough to remove. But when installed they are in there in there very tight so I have no fear of them pushing out. I put a strip of electrical tape along the bottom just to be sure.

As for NEXTDAY/AUTO, they were a good choice to get the part fast and at a reasonable price. My only qualm with them is their return policy. A call to them indicated I would have wait about a week and a half for a replacement. They needed time to look at the damaged clip and for return processing. I would have had to pack it up, take it to UPS and then wait...and wait. We needed the vehicle back on the road "now" so I just installed the one I got. It works perfect. I expected them to say you'll have another tomorrow and just ship us back the damaged part, but they didn't. I wrote them again and told them they really put me the customer in a Catch 22 situation for something I did not cause. We'll see what they say. For that price I expected some consideration.

Last edited by TJL; 05-12-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

That's bad luck about the shipping damage.

Originally Posted by Auspuff
I tried searching for the fan motor, it's labeled Gate MP 8125 or Xj2 9010641 I think. My old one is in the car, I'll try and remember to double check tomorrow.
For future reference, the original Jaguar part number for the complete unit with two fans is MNC4270AC. A previous part number was MNC4270BC which still gets a few hits if used for search.

http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/jaguar-xj-x308-parts/engine-cooling-system/radiator-fan-and-fan-motors/cooling-fan-cowl-3-2-4-0-litre-v8

Fan motor removed from my car says: MP 8125/XJ2 901 0641 12V

With that information I find motors or fans for as low as $20 each, new, on alibaba.com. But you need to buy a minimum of 30, 50, or 100x pieces. And I'm not sure if they're an exact fit.

As far as I can tell, OE manufacturer is Johnson Electric (Gate brand). I can't find detailed information on their website, I don't know if it's possible to somehow purchase directly from them or find a supplier for the new fan units instead of the entire fan mount.

http://www.johnsonelectric.com/en/product-technology/motion/dc-motors/automotive-cooling-fan-motors

These are the fan measurements or dimensions I got from my one (very approximately):

Fan unit diameter outer 31.5 cm, 12.5", and inner 29.5 cm, 11 11/16" (there's a sort of lip around the circumference).

Similar looking fans and motors appear to be fitted to Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, Audi, VW, Skoda, Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo. Similar as in pictures look similar, specifications where given say diameter 315mm, and they have a Gate MP 8125 motor, but it looks like there are different versions of that motor with different connectors.

The Jaguar motor has 2x flat pin connectors (or whatever the correct term is).

TJL (05-17-2015)