XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 XJ8 Cooling system dump and replenish

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 AM
TJL
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2001 XJ8 Cooling system dump and replenish

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with the proper Jaguar procedure for draining and refilling the cooling system in our 2001 XJ8 4.0. I cannot find the procedure anywhere in the forum for our particular car. I'm sure it's in here, I just can't find it.

To save time, since I am replacing the water pump, with an AC Delco 282-800, I am wondering if I need to drain the entire system since the pump is located basically on top of the engine.

My plan was to just top off the system after the pump change to test and check for leaks, then if all was good, drain the system at a later date, and refill with new fluid. The existing fluid is 3 years old, done by Jaguar.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 05-29-2018, 10:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Tim,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
TJL (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

When I worked at the dealer the XJ8 was a NEW CAR and water pumps were a common failure. We even had recalls to identify faulty batches of pumps. I used to just place a large pan under the front of the engine and remove the pump. (let the coolant flow!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I then installed the new pump and topped up the system. I drove the car outside and rinsed the front of engine. DONE

We were issued a 5 liter jug of coolant but I only used a few liters from the jug. After several years of replacing pumps I had DOZENS of full 5 liter jugs of Yellow and Orange coolant!!!!!!

If the long life coolant is relatively new, you can just top up the system. If the coolant is OLD, I recommend replacing it.

bob

TJL (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:43 PM
TJL

Originally Posted by GGG
Tim,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham
Thank you Graham!!

Old 05-29-2018, 04:47 PM
TJL

Originally Posted by motorcarman
When I worked at the dealer the XJ8 was a NEW CAR and water pumps were a common failure. We even had recalls to identify faulty batches of pumps. I used to just place a large pan under the front of the engine and remove the pump. (let the coolant flow!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I then installed the new pump and topped up the system. I drove the car outside and rinsed the front of engine. DONE

We were issued a 5 liter jug of coolant but I only used a few liters from the jug. After several years of replacing pumps I had DOZENS of full 5 liter jugs of Yellow and Orange coolant!!!!!!

If the long life coolant is relatively new, you can just top up the system. If the coolant is OLD, I recommend replacing it.

bob
Bob, thanks much for the information.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:20 PM
TJL

Thanks for the responses.

In the process of unbolting the pump, I found two bolts finger tight on the bottom and left side. This pump was installed at a Jaguar dealer about 3 years ago. I'm wondering if seal compression over the years caused the bolts to loosen? Or, were they accidentally forgotten to be torqued.

I noticed that no 'O' ring was present with this pump. The pump itself appears to be fine. I could probably reinstall it but I have already ordered an AC Delco P/N 252-800 with aluminum gasket and 'O' ring.

I need to research the proper torque value for these 8MM bolts. Has anyone ever used Blue thread locker on these bolts?

Here are a few pictures of the pump I just removed.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:23 PM
TJL

Originally Posted by TJL
Thanks for the responses.

In the process of unbolting the pump, I found two bolts finger tight on the bottom and left side. This pump was installed at a Jaguar dealer about 3 years ago. I'm wondering if seal compression over the years caused the bolts to loosen? Or, were they accidentally forgotten to be torqued.

I noticed that no 'O' ring was present with this pump. The pump itself appears to be fine. I could probably reinstall it but I have already ordered an AC Delco P/N 252-800 with aluminum gasket and 'O' ring.

I need to research the proper torque value for these 8MM bolts. Has anyone ever used Blue thread locker on these bolts?

Here are a few pictures of the pump I just removed.

Sorry, this post should have been in X308. My apologies.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Torque figure for the bolts is 6 ft/lb +90 deg throw that pump away it has the plastic impellor and WILL fail in time.

TJL (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:37 PM
TJL

Thank you. I replaced the pump with an AC Delco pump 252-800, with metal impellers and metal gasket and 'O'ring. Torqued bolts to 72 inch pounds, alternating sides, with a dab of Blue thread locker on each bolt.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:09 PM
TJL

With the new water pump, 2 new hoses from the header tank to the radiator and engine, and a new serpentine belt installed , with full fluid change out and leak checked good, I now get a Restricted Performance light, (Amber) and my OBD2 pulls up the code PO332, which indicates a knock sensor on the left bank. Ok, I've had enough of the fun and games, did I do something or is this a coincidence? The system was topped off, but I have not checked the fluid level again, but no low coolant light. A coolant change couldn't give this code could it? I can erase the code, but it comes back. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by TJL; 06-01-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 06-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

I have had to replace the KNOCK SENSORS on car that had coolant in the 'valley' under the intake. Sometimes the coolant can get into the KS connectors on the thermostat tower. (check that first)

You can change them easy enough by removing the nut and TORX stud through the intake runner gaps, then snake old out, new in. Reinstall stud and nut.

bob

TJL (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 877 Likes on 723 Posts

Sometimes the code can be cleared and not return if the coolant has dried up that shorted the sensor.

TJL (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 PM
TJL

Thanks for the replies. I took off the plastic cover over the left bank and it was dry all around. I then disconnected the connector by the thermostat and wanted to check the ohms to the sensor but misplaced my leads for it. Anyway, the connector was dry inside, no corrosion noted so I reconnected it. I started the vehicle and still had the reduced performance indication and my OBD2 still read the PO332 code. I cleared it several times and it finally remained extinguished. I took the vehicle on a 40 mile ride and all was well. I tried to keep the rpms up around 2K and I floored it a few times up to about 3-4 k. Light is still out, engine is quiet and smooth, no leaks. Wonder if I have an intermittent sensor, or it was coolant related, we shall see. BTW, the AC Delco pump is quiet and my indication is dead center on the gauge, like it's always been.