XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 Xj8 Inspection Report - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Xj8 Inspection Report - need advice

Hi. I have had some great advice already from people here...thanks so much for taking the time. I have had my new potential 2001 Vanden Plas inspected and also taked to the local Jag dealer that it was bought from. This one does not have the Nickasil engine - so that part is good news. 73000 Km's.
But, there are some other concerns that I do not know the severity (or cost of).

- Differential Cover is moist
- Power steering pump is wet
- Car pinging a bit when cold but went away when warm. (i still need to get the Tensioners checked to see if they have been replaced...could this be the pinging????)

Any feedback would be great!!!
Thanks

Old 06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

A 'good' Nikasil engine may be better than a steel sleeved one but I would be curious as how that determination was made. My previous Nikasil car, with 106k miles, had compression readings at new car specs.

Power steering pumps have been known to fail but there is usually more issues with hoses than pumps. Since I do all my own work I really can't comment on repair cost. I write it off to 'entertainment'.

The 'pinging' when cold may be the VVT units. Not a real issue usually treated by moving up a 'weight' in oil.

After 3 years on the forum this may be the first leaking differential cover discussed. I have an Expedition with 200k miles that has a 'moist' cover but never drips. Don't think I would worry about it.

If that is all that was found, and I assume they checked all the electrical operations, you may have found a winner.

P L E A S E verify the tensioners.

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by test point
A 'good' Nikasil engine may be better than a steel sleeved one but I would be curious as how that determination was made. My previous Nikasil car, with 106k miles, had compression readings at new car specs.

Power steering pumps have been known to fail but there is usually more issues with hoses than pumps. Since I do all my own work I really can't comment on repair cost. I write it off to 'entertainment'.

The 'pinging' when cold may be the VVT units. Not a real issue usually treated by moving up a 'weight' in oil.

After 3 years on the forum this may be the first leaking differential cover discussed. I have an Expedition with 200k miles that has a 'moist' cover but never drips. Don't think I would worry about it.

If that is all that was found, and I assume they checked all the electrical operations, you may have found a winner.

P L E A S E verify the tensioners.

Good luck!
Thanks for your feedback. Well, those are the issues I knew nothing about. There others such as tires needed front and back and new brakes...they will have to get this done before I sign on the dotted line. I'm off to see the dealer now...wish me luck. ;-)

Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Vancouver guy, how did it go?

I'm a new VDP owner too and I found a real plum! (34k miles and a bargaib price!). I'll post pics when I can but would love to hear about your experience.

This is my 1st Jag and it has taken some getting used to but I feel like I am driving a solid piece of iron! I feel much safer than in a tall vehicle, (i.e. SUV.)

Joolz

Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Default Vdp

Hey,
That sounds like a great opportunity. Is it really purple? ;-)

That is the only thing I am not stoked about on my car is the colour. It's beige (or Champagne as I call it). I've always been a darker colour fan. There is also a creaking sound when I turn the steering wheel all the way around. Not sure how to get rid of that...but driving out of my underground it is very noticeable.

But so far I am super happy with it...like driving around in my livingroom, that is how comfy it is!

Let me know how you're coming along with yours.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I second you on the Champagne color choice. I honestly don't know why jaguar even offers any color other than BRG. But when we were looking for a "new" car in January, we came across a particularly cherry VDP in Champagne. There was a local '00 XJR in BRG with 34K on the clock, but my wife wouldn't let me spend extra for the supercharger. :-(

Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Default Vdp

Originally Posted by ShaneIam
I second you on the Champagne color choice. I honestly don't know why jaguar even offers any color other than BRG. But when we were looking for a "new" car in January, we came across a particularly cherry VDP in Champagne. There was a local '00 XJR in BRG with 34K on the clock, but my wife wouldn't let me spend extra for the supercharger. :-(
Well, better a happy wife than the supercharger! ;-)
On my way to the farmers market today the yellow engine light came on. I felt nauseous thinking that the other shoe has dropped and there is something majorly wrong with the car. I had already done a ton of research and met the owner of www.britishclassicauto.com in Vancouver and I drove by to see if they were open. Sure enough the owner was there and plugged his little Jag computer in and found out that my gas cap was loose! lol...i am so relieved. I guess there is a pressure sensor in the gas tank? Who knew! ;-)

btw...if you are in Vancouver and looking for a great repair shop...I highly recommend british classic auto. The owner is Martin who is fantastic. Small shop and trustworthy.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whew!

Glad it was only the gas cap.

Personally I like the champagne color... but then again, my car is purple!!!!

It really is a deep metallic plum. Jaguar calls it Amaranth in some places, dark red in others, (there is no way this is dark red!)

I probably would never have chosen it, but I like it and all my friends think it's great. I am a woman, so it's not such an issue. Just this afternoon a neighbor called is "sassy."!

Yup, sassy. I can live with that!

Next week we are off to British Eurotech to get the tensioners done. Then I can take easy deep breaths when I drive!

Joolz

Old 07-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

I believe the car color/colour is called TOPAZ. Check the paint code on the door/pillar and you will probably see SEC (same as mine).

bob gauff