XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 XJ8 Right Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2001 XJ8 Right Indicator Light

Hey Everybody,
I'm still having an issue with my front, right hand indicator light. When you turn on the right indicator light the rear light functions as normal, no faster than it should, the front does nothing. The signal on the dash will flash faster and make a quicker noise. I've changed the bulb out and even removed the left socket to the right and it still won't work.

Does anybody have an idea what to do?

Thank You.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If the new bulb is definitely making contact with the connectors, then the most likely cause would seem to be a broken wire or bad connection. One of the 2 wires to the bulb goes to the BPM and the other to ground. Check with an ohmeter to see if you have continuity between the ground side connector and any good ground point nearby. Maybe you've already checked this, but that's where I'd start.
Ian

The following users liked this post:
holybananas (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Hey IanG,

Sorry for the delay in response. I've checked to see if there is power to the bulb and there is nothing. I have no idea where to go from here. I also noticed the right fog lamp is also not working, I haven't attempted to change it. Could it be a fuse?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Is the right front side marker light working? It shares a common ground with the fog light and the indicator light.
Ian

holybananas (03-30-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Hey Ian,

The side marker light is also not working. What do you suggest my next step be?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:26 PM

According to the circuit diagram all 3 of these are connected to the chassis (ground) at the same place, so all the indications are that this connection is loose or rusty/corroded. I'm not sure of the location. I have the same car (2001 vdp) so I can have a look at mine. I'm busy tomorrow so it would be sometime over the weekend.
Or you could just follow the wires and see where they are hooked up together.
Hope this helps.
Ian

holybananas (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 PM

I would really appreciate that Ian. I'll take a look at mine over the weekend also, but if you do get a chance it would be helpful.

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I just bought a 2001 XJ8 yesterday and it has the exact same problem. You didn't happen to sell your car did you?

Looking forward to a possible solution to the ground issue. My problem is identical. When sitting inside the car the blinker indicator in the instrument panel blinks really fast. I knew that meant I had something wrong, probably a burnt out bulb. I checked the rear indicator and it blinks normally at normal speed. I checked the front and it is dead. Fog lights are also dead. Side indicator is dead. I popped out the blinker bulb and it is fine so it is wiring. So, looking forward to info on the common ground.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

There are common ground posts behind each headlamp cluster in the engine compartment. There's 2 next to the ABS pump, and 1 on the other side. take a 10mm socket and undo the round head nuts, clean up the post/shaft and ring connectors with some scotchpad/wirewool/sandpaper and assemble with copperslip. This will fix the issue.
Are the horns working?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Owning an old car requires a few cheap tools -- get a multitester from Harbor Freight to test the wires.........they go on sale for less than $5.

Also a code reader ..$35.00 and a test lead with a light (less than $10) will save you a lot of time and money.

It is strange that they would all go out together -- do check the ground location. That ground is normally trouble free -- maybe it has been played with in the past. And body damage in the front?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 PM

How are you folks doing - got it fixed yet?
Just do as Sean says and you should be good to go.
The wires from those 3 lights are spliced together and then there is one connector to the ground stud beside the washer bottle. The wire may have even broken at the stud if it's corroded. There are a total of 4 eyelets connected to that stud on mine.
Good advice from Yeldogt too. There's often a coupon for a free multimeter at Harborfreight.
Good luck!
Ian

Old 04-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Nope, not fixed yet. I have been looking at it all morning. While looking around I found a connector that is not connected to anything. It is laying in the engine compartment next to the windshield washer fluid reservoir. It has an OY, RG, GR and B wire in it. I looked at the wiring diagram here: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj2001.pdf and shows an OY for the fog lamp, RG for side indicator and GR for the DI side repeater. B is ground I am sure.

So, since all of those are out on my right side and all of those wires appear to be in this connector, I think i may have found the culprit. The only problem is I can't find where it connects to!

Any ideas? I have been digging around all morning, and there is no matching connector to be found. Looking forward to any help!

Name:  IMG_0784.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  121.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0786.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  109.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0788.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  128.7 KB

Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Well done, that'll be it!
Circuit info says that it is adjacent to the bottom of the washer reservoir, so it'll be underneath. It's not normally visible from the top. You might have to remove one of the lower plastic panels for access. I hadn't realised that all of their positives are on one connector but they certainly are. Happy hunting.
Ian

bakatono (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Great, thanks. Now I get to wrestle with those dang plastic rivet things. *sigh* I just know I am going to bust them to pieces, they never come out. BTW: how did you know it is beneath? I didn't see anything in the circuit diagram which clearly identified it goes below the reservoir.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM

I have the 2001 electrical guide which I downloaded from the internet.
On the page before the circuit diagram it tells you the locations of the connectors, in this case BR-1 (4-way Augat)
Ian

Old 04-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Well, I got under the plastic (prior owner apparently screwed the plastic into the windshield washer reservoir to hold it in place, that was messy) and I found the connector. I plugged them in and, nothing.

I then went to the common ground you can see in my pictures above, took it apart, cleaned everything, put it back: still nothing.

Is that the same common ground that the fog lights and indicators go to or is that ground just for headlights? I pulled the ground off to test and the headlights went out so I know the ground is good and clean enough.

So, is there a different ground for the indicator lights? I can't seem to trace it back. I appreciate your help.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 PM

Seems there are two grounds? CA33R and LF19R. I think I know which one LF19R is, it is the one in the picture correct? I saw it in the prior page, as you had mentioned, but I can't find the CA33R. It seems to be the culprit, if I am reading the schematic right.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 PM

just noticed, my left side marker isn't working either. Fog, headlamps and left indicator work fine. I think I have something wrong other than a ground issue.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM

The LF19 is the ground for these items and yes it is the one in your photo.
The CA33 is for side indicators which we don't have on the North American cars.
It's unfortunate that reconnecting the connectors didn't work but I guess someone's been messing with this in the past. The connectors rarely come apart by themselves.
Next step is to see if there is any power to the incoming connector. Do you have a voltmeter to test it?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Left side marker is probably just the bulb.

Quick Reply: 2001 XJ8 Right Indicator Light