XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 XJR, Codes P0430, P0705, P1638 HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 XJR, Codes P0430, P0705, P1638 HELP!

Hello All,

This is my first forum post and any help would be tremendously appreciated. Before I begin I would also like to thank everyone on Jaguar Forums for sharing their vast knowledge and time.

Okay here goes, I am interested in purchasing a very nice looking 2001 Supercharged XJR for a super price but after running the OBDII codes I am concerned the issues it has may end up turning this super deal into a money pit.

Here is what I can tell you from what the current owner has told me and from my inspection of the car. The owner stated that it has a "transmission issue" but did not elaborate. The guy is an auto auction owner and barely had enough time to tell me about the transmission issue so I do not know any of the symptoms. I can tell you that the car has not been registered since September 2010, it has 132K miles with no history of accidents, two service records (not sure what was performed) and a clean title. For the first 4 years and 48K miles the car was registered as a lease vehicle.

The car needed to be jump started so I am not sure if that was due to a drained battery or a bad battery, I am assuming a bad battery due to the fact that the car has not been registered in over 3 years. The car seemed to take what I would consider longer than usual to start, between 5-10 seconds, did not crank right over but could be due to the length of time it has been sitting or the battery issue.

Upon starting the idle was high for about 20 seconds and then dropped down to about normal yet it was a little rough but not overly so. Instantly the check engine light came on, Limp mode light, trac ctrl not available, ABS, trans fluid low, coolant low indicators all appeared. The car did not overheat after running it for about 5 minutes at idle however there was a strong smell of overheating but I felt no radiant heat coming from anywhere.

I used a standard HF OBDII code reader and these are the codes that came up: P0430, P0705, P1638 and P0705 again/twice. I was unable to take the car for a test drive do to liability issues which is common with these auction dealers so I do not think he was trying to keep me from uncovering any issues as he refused to put the car in his auction because of the transmission issue which he was totally upfront about.

I cleared the codes then ran them again and came up with the same codes plus the standard P1000. Cleared the codes again and came up with P0705 only once this time and strangely enough P1111.

Since I do not know the service history of the car but know that it has 132K miles on it, do you think that the tensioners were ever replaced? Would the cheap originals last this long without breaking? Would the original leasing dealer have replaced the tensioners with gen II or gen III tensioners as a preventive measure or as part of a recall?

What would cause the the ABS light, tracion not available lights to appear yet there were no codes that came up that reference these systems? I did not hear the ABS pump running so is it possible that either a bad battery or the transmission issue is causing this? Is it common in this particular model vehicle for the ABS pump/modules to go out?

I know the P1638 code deals with a short from the instrument panel to the ECM but all of the gauges seemed to be working fine. Any guess as to what may have caused this code, perhaps bad battery issue?

The P0430 I think can be resolved by installing anti-foulers as I have had great luck with these in the past on other cars and this particular car has a good history of passing smog. Not too worried about this code.

The P0705 code also does not have me that worried as I am pretty sure it has something to do with either the trans harness connector leaking which is common (also the low trans fluid indicator points to this being at least part of the problem) and an easy fix or the linear switch needs tightening/contacts cleaned/adjusted.

What I am wondering is if any of these codes may be caused by one system affecting another thereby tripping the other codes, ie: the transmission issue?

I am pretty sure that with help from you forum members I can fix this car for a reasonable amount of money and elbow grease but I would love to get members opinions, suggestions, etc..

One last thing I think I should mention, I know one of the employees that works at this lot and he told me that the car was driven in, not towed. If this is the case and the transmission fluid was low at this time is it probable that the transmission was burned up and that is what I smelled? Since the car was driven in, even if the tranny did get hot, is it probable that by repairing the harness connector seal and doing a trans fluid flush/refill save the tranny? Wouldn't the car have stopped in its tracks if the tranny was destroyed by overheating it? I have heard that these 722.6 trannys are pretty much bullet proof compared to the ZF trannys.

Have any of your members had these issues, codes come up and if so what was the solution? Do you guys/gals think that this would be a good deal or am I getting in way over my head and should I walk away? It is going to break my heart if I do not get the car as I have always loved these beautiful supercharged cats. I look forward to any input. Thank you all so very much,

Sincerely,
Vincent

Last edited by GGG; 10-21-2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: insert line breaks!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,858 Likes on 12,186 Posts

A low or dead battery will throw all kinds of codes on a Jaguar and this is the first thing to eliminate.

You will always get one of the following codes:

P1000 : OnBoard tests not completed since last memory clear
P1111 : OnBoard tests complete

Here's the extract from the Jaguar DTC lists for the others:

See the right hand column for possible causes of each of the codes.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails 2001 XJR, Codes P0430, P0705, P1638 HELP!-vincent.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THanks for the quick reply. Actually I found out that there are over $1000 in back fines/fees on the car due to not being registered for over 3 years. This just blew the entire deal. I am really bummed. Why someone would not have filed the car as non operational with DMV if they were not going to register it is beyond me. Oh well, I am sure I will find another one, hopefully with out any issues. Thanks again.

Vincent