XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002/03 XJR Verses 2002/03 SuperV8

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017 | 03:00 AM
|
Default 2002/03 XJR Verses 2002/03 SuperV8

Hi

I know they both have the same type engine but do they have similar problems?

I found two for sale
They both have 89 k miles in similar condition and around $8500

The y both have service record

Thanks

PS I passed on that 1996 XJ12 nice but was not for me
T

Old 08-03-2017 | 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

No well taken care of X308 should have any problems, problems only occur at this stage of the car's life if they've been mistreated by previous owners. Many of the problems with these cars stem from people wanting the status of owning a Jag but not the responsibility or expense of maintaining it. Consequently service intervals get extended or ignored, suspension components are allowed to wear out and deteriorate to the point where they begin to damage other aspects of the suspension and more often than not rust has been allowed to get hold because of poor washing or lack of weatherproofing.

There are more threads on what "problems to look out for when buying" on this forum than I've had hot dinners, a simple search will reveal all. But usual things are checking the tensioners have been replaced, suspension isn't making nasty noises, interior systems all function correctly, drain channels and dirt traps are all clear and the gearbox has had fluid changes. The important thing to remember is that the youngest X308 is 14 years old now and it would be unreasonable to expect it to perform and function as a daily driver without regular maintenance, which is why my own X308 has the easier life of being my second car for more genteel duties.

Best of Luck with your search, I hope you find what you're looking for.

The following users liked this post:
Terry007 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017 | 04:24 AM

I know they both have the same type engine but do they have similar problems?
You shouldn't experience much more problems with the SV8 than with the XJR. Same engine, same control modules, dame tranny etc.
You might have a higher risk of electrical issues with the SV8 if it comes with individual electric (and heated) rear seats. But that's basically negligible since they aren't more prone to fail than the front seats.

On the other hand you'll face higher costs on replacing the brake discs and pads for the XJR's if equipped with the R1 Brembo brakes (wasn't an option for the SV8).

I got a /R because I like the sporty look of the Brembo's, but more frequent than initially thought I'm gazing for SV8's because of their (in my view) more graceful, sublime and understated look. The european XJRs do not have exterior chrome trims (windshield, window mirrors, windows) so they look more like an "Executive" from the outside. Well, and I do like the bigger rear legroom of the SV8.

Eventually I can't tell if I'd go with a XJR again, if I had to make a decision which one to buy right now. 3 years ago, I went with the XJR, today I might tend to a SV8. Not just because of the looks, but also because they're much rarer than the XJRs (except of the /R with Brembo brakes).

The following users liked this post:
Terry007 (08-03-2017)