XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 Purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024 | 11:41 AM
|
Default 2002 Purchase question

Hello. I am a new member and look forward to more involvement with the group. I am pursuing the purchase of a 2002 XJR 100. I usually keep my cars ten years. Just retired my AMG S55 with 200K on it. Pay to play for sure.
My question is do I want a clean lower mileage car(30-60K) without repairs, or a clean 80K car that has had a lot of work done on it? I have an independant shop close by I trust who has been working on our Range Rovers
for over a decade. I am sold on the car and drive about 5K per year. Dad had a 1985 XJ6...Thanks for any help here. Can't wait!

Old 01-31-2024 | 12:54 PM

I acquired my XJR-100 in August of '04 when it only had 33k on it. It now has close to 190k, so I'm trying to think back to when was it that it only had 80k, let alone 60K. To answer your question, are you a DYI'er or are you going to take it to the Indy shop for all repairs? Since these cars are 22 year-olds now, and all electronically controlled, there will be problems that come up. If you can diagnose and fix the problem, get the lower mileage one; if you're going to take it to the shop, get the one with the most repairs already done.

You've come to the right place for any advice on repairs.

Old 01-31-2024 | 01:03 PM
|
Default Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Hispeed 42. It will be the shop for me. I appreciate the advice.
Onward!

Originally Posted by hispeed42
I acquired my XJR-100 in August of '04 when it only had 33k on it. It now has close to 190k, so I'm trying to think back to when was it that it only had 80k, let alone 60K. To answer your question, are you a DYI'er or are you going to take it to the Indy shop for all repairs? Since these cars are 22 year-olds now, and all electronically controlled, there will be problems that come up. If you can diagnose and fix the problem, get the lower mileage one; if you're going to take it to the shop, get the one with the most repairs already done.

You've come to the right place for any advice on repairs.

Old 01-31-2024 | 01:32 PM

A few years ago I purchased a 38,000 mile XJR sight unseen. It was a lightly used Florida snow bird's car that was always garaged. I had it trucked to Texas where I replaced the tires, the sagging headliner (which I knew about prior to purchase). Other than the headliner, it was cosmetically perfect inside and out. Within a couple of months both in-tank fuel pumps failed, and the battery went dead. About 400 miles later, the suspension started making knocking sounds (front and rear) . Both ends needed new spring cushions and shock bushings. It is now purrrfect, and my spouse just learned that she's in love with it. The tires and battery are expected consumables. From what I've read in the archives, the suspension isolators, headliner, and fuel pumps are common failures that can be expected around 40K miles. I farmed out the headliner ($250 installed) and refurbished the suspension (about $350 for parts) and replaced the fuel pumps (around $250 for parts) myself. Both are fairly time-consuming tasks, but within the capabilities of an average owner (no special tools). (I'm 77 years old). It seems that the suspension bushings/isolators are a recurring job at 30-40K miles. Engine, electronics, transmission seem bulletproof

I'd go with the lower mileage car every time...mostly because of superior cosmetics.

Last edited by 64etype; 01-31-2024 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2024 | 03:38 PM

front suspension bushes without any special tools? have to disagree. Need a spring compressor (factory or homemade), press, cutoff wheel, etc.

Old 01-31-2024 | 03:43 PM

I should have been more specific....I was referring to the upper shock tower bushings, which don't seem to last all that long before they start to rattle and clunk. The rest are OK on my 40K mile car. That said, I don't view a spring compressor, press or cutoff wheel as special tools. I was thinking of a Jaguar unique tool.... Whatever.

Last edited by 64etype; 01-31-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2024 | 08:28 AM

At 22 years of age, a 30-50k mile difference isn't really significant in my mind...anything under 100k miles is low mileage and I start questioning the viability of either car as it perhaps hasn't been used enough. I would shop based on available service history, known issues (like rust or whatever) and cosmetics.

Old 02-01-2024 | 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 64etype
I should have been more specific....I was referring to the upper shock tower bushings, which don't seem to last all that long before they start to rattle and clunk. The rest are OK on my 40K mile car. That said, I don't view a spring compressor, press or cutoff wheel as special tools. I was thinking of a Jaguar unique tool.... Whatever.
ah ok, yes the shock tower bushings are easily replaced. The spring compressor is certainly unique to jaguar and works nicely.

no offense intended here.

Old 02-01-2024 | 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

As a restorer of classic cars, I will attest that age is as much a factor as mileage. Sure with low mileage, all the hard wearables like bearings will be like new, but all the plastic, rubber and vinyl may still be deteriorated just as badly depending how the car was stored and used. The worst situation is when the car was driven 30K miles in the first two years and then put in storage for the next twenty. You can recommission the fuel system and start driving it, but then it will start leaking and squeaking from everywhere by about the first 500 miles because now you are putting stress on organic components that have decomposed or hardened internally just from age. Its better if the car were driven at least a little bit regularly as the consistent re-wetting of seals provides some protection from oxidation and lubrication for the next startup plus regular occasional motion can keep bushings from taking a set. Just like flat spots on tires from sitting, rubber bushings are affected the same way. Some people believed that it was better to store a car on blocks but the suspension bushings are installed so that they are under the least tension at normal ride height. Leaving the suspension hanging puts extreme stress on rubber bushings and they will take a set in that twisted shape. When the car is back on the ground it won't handle right because now its unnaturally tensioned in the wrong direction. Learned that the hard way after a project car left on jack stands got postponed way too long. Worst case they tear a little each time the suspension is fully compressed and eventually fail.

In short, ask about the history of the car, why are the miles so low. If it was in long-term storage, then factor in your offer that you are likely to have to pull the engine and transmission soon and reseal everything plus maybe even replace all the suspension bushings. If you can't convince the seller that you are taking on the risk and need a discount, then the higher mileage car may be the better deal. But as always we have a saying in the Jaguar world "No Records = No Sale." And somebody once posted "The best money I ever spent on a car was the $300 I paid for a PPI on the one I did NOT buy." Good luck. I hope the seller can show records indicating that the car was driven regularly, just sparingly, If so, then its worth all the money.

Old 02-02-2024 | 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

I would not be afraid of higher mileage cars as long as they’ve been regularly maintained and are in good shape. My old boss had a Mercedes E-Class Estate with a 3.0 V6 Diesel engine in it which had 350,000 miles on it last time I checked. The car is immaculate and was regularly serviced. Unfortunately he’s passed away now and the car is parked exactly where he left it last, this is where deterioration will start to set in.

These cars are beautiful and are an absolute joy to own when they’re in good shape, but they do not tolerate abuse or neglect and will make their feelings known. I’m on my fourth one now and whilst it is an occasional car rather than a daily driver, but like my other classics it will get regularly used in the good weather.