XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 xj8

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2023 | 04:16 PM
|
Default 2002 xj8

Hello all, so I purchased a very clean 2002 xj8 with 80k on the odometer.. the car was garage it's entire life and driven in California & Arizona.. the reason I mentioned this is to just give an idea of how nice this car is.. so the reason I'm here is,it won't run. I read a bunch of post here and I actually was able to get it to start, by addressing a possible cylinder wash situation I read over on a post.

So I what I have is spark at 4 coils that I tested,I did not test all 8
I have 31-35lb of fuel pressure at the testing port.
I have a fully charged battery with very clean cablesMy fuel pump fuse on 7 and I believe 15 is good.
My butterfly port opens as it should on the throttle body
I removed all plugs and cleaned them . I sprayed wd40 in all 8 bores, re installed plugs made sure no wires were pinched when doing so.

The car will start if do an old school pump on the go pedal .. but sputters spits and stalls..
​​​​​​I was able to pull some codes. I need to add them as this tablet I'm on is the obd pad and if I close out post it will be gone. I'll post another. Thank you for reading this post I appreciate any help.. I did read a lot on here so I apologize if this appears as just another xj8 no start post.. I did get as far as I'm at now from this forum.. thanks again

Old 07-19-2023 | 04:26 PM
|
Old 07-20-2023 | 02:16 PM
|

Pump has no volume.. pressure, but not putting out gas. Going to change fuel filter first.. then pump if persist. Thank you for any one who has read the post.

Old 07-20-2023 | 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Krazyhorse
Pump has no volume.. pressure, but not putting out gas. Going to change fuel filter first.. then pump if persist. Thank you for any one who has read the post.
If the pump has been replaced or the fuel tank was pulled into the boot area with the fuel lines left in place, then they could be kinked or damaged and they are NO LONGER AVAILABLE. It is common mistake people make with disastrous results.

Fuel filter is a good first check so I hope you find the cause soon.

Old 07-20-2023 | 07:05 PM
|

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If the pump has been replaced or the fuel tank was pulled into the boot area with the fuel lines left in place, then they could be kinked or damaged and they are NO LONGER AVAILABLE. It is common mistake people make with disastrous results.

Thank you for the reply and information..i will be sure to check the lines, and be sure to carefully remove them in the event i replace the pump. I do think its all original untouched car .. hoping im correct, i only had it a couple days now and with it being 112 Fahrenheit here .. i haven't done all that much.. thanks again

Old 07-21-2023 | 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Clogged lines or weak pump would be my first guess.

Old 07-21-2023 | 09:32 PM
|

Originally Posted by RandyS
Clogged lines or weak pump would be my first guess.
thank you randy, i started taking the tank out today, im going to replace the pump.. i put a filter in , no difference. I removed the drive shaft when I towed the car home so that was a bonus on getting to the lines, however I still made a tool.. I'll post pics so the forum can use if they wish.. thanks again for you reply

Old 07-22-2023 | 12:58 PM
|

after making a tool and having one of the lines come half out and get stuck, I switched gears.. it should not be this hard, I ended up taking the fitting off the inlet side of the filter and left the lines in place on the tank..it gave me plenty of slack.. the tank easily moved out enough to get the pump out.. in the event they break I'd make new lines.. this is my reasoning as I was doing this in 110 degree weather laying under the car with flies trying to survive off the sweat dripping off my face.. yea, not fun lol

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023 | 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

after making a tool and having one of the lines come half out and get stuck, I switched gears.. it should not be this hard, I ended up taking the fitting off the inlet side of the filter and left the lines in place on the tank..it gave me plenty of slack.. the tank easily moved out enough to get the pump out.. in the event they break I'd make new lines.. this is my reasoning as I was doing this in 110 degree weather laying under the car with flies trying to survive off the sweat dripping off my face.. yea, not fun lol
I hope with that effort it's now running well?

Old 07-24-2023 | 09:54 PM
|

Originally Posted by Sean B
I'm still waiting for the fuel pump to be delivered, I worked on chevy impala today. Nice change of pace.. thank you for checking in.. ill post soon

Old 07-26-2023 | 04:29 PM
|

Hello Sean, no luck on the pump install even tho I have a significant amount of fuel increase with this bosch pump.. the car starts and runs on maybe 3 or 4 cylinders pops and stalls.. I noticed I have only 6 volts at my injectors.. I guess I'll re check relays which I already have done before I put the pump in.. what's the chances that the immobilizer is shutting it down? Would there be an indicator light I would see? Thanks again for your help

Old 07-26-2023 | 04:42 PM
|

it looks like 6 volts is ok.. perhaps I'll pull valve covers and check timing, maybe the tensioner failed and it jumped time.

motorcarman (07-27-2023)
Old 07-28-2023 | 12:52 PM
|

it looks like 6 volts is ok.. perhaps I'll pull valve covers and check timing, maybe the tensioner failed and it jumped time.
Problem found, i just wanted to post in the event someone needed help with the same problem, i used a borescope too confirm pistons did not contact valves.. they never touched them. I'll put all new chains and tensioners on it and finish this one up.. thanks again

Jhartz (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023 | 02:31 PM

Every once in a while the secondary chain snaps and the exhaust cam stops in a 'happy-place'.

Old 07-28-2023 | 05:10 PM
|

Every once in a while the secondary chain snaps and the exhaust cam stops in a 'happy-place'.
finally ,I got a little lucky.. thank you for your help