XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 XJ8 4.0 engine build or buy or

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 XJ8 4.0 engine build or buy or

Hello all. I picked up 2002 xj8 has the non turbo 4.0 engine. Car is clean and one owner. He passed and the car was heading to the junk yard because it didn’t run. I offered the same amount as the junk yard offered and I took the car home. I figured it was something small to repair on the engine but when I tried to start it , it sounded like a thrown rod. So I have not tried since. I found a salvage yard in Dallas that had one and I drove to pick it up. When I got it home I degreased it and started to inspect it for updates and possible issues. Leak down test went great. Top end was nice. Everything checked out and looked like I only needed the timing chains and tensioner updates. Oil pump was going to be apart of the list. When I removed the oil pan I found fine metal like graphite. Flipped the engine over and removed the upper pan. One of the rod bearings were shot and it was so bad it took almost 1/16 off the crank. Funny thing is that all the other bearings and mains are perfect. Called the place I got the engine and he said he will replace it. A few weeks went by and he said he does not have a good engine . He offered to give me full refund. I’m stuck now on what to do. And this is why I need help.

1. Do I take both engines and possibly make one good one? ( having trouble finding bearings ) and other small items. Total looks to be about 1000-1500 in parts depending on what is needed. I’m the kind of person who will want to replace as much as possible .

2. Buy a re-man engine at $3000 ish

3. LS swap. I have many engine and trans combos that I can put together . Also have a complete LSA / 6l90 out of a 2009+ ctsv with harness. ( will need to get the computer and kit the web to make it work it seems at 1800-1900$ )

what does everyone do when it’s time to redo a engine?

Old 12-25-2020, 02:12 PM
Received 13,186 Likes on 6,548 Posts

Hi Rabbit,

That's a great-looking Jaguar. Very sorry to hear of the engine trouble.

I have merged your duplicate posts into one thread. I'm sure other members will come along to offer their thoughts.

In the meantime, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 12-26-2020, 06:40 AM

That was the fist thing I did. “ hello from Texas “ also added a few details about me in the bio. I will continue to update . Thank you

Old 12-26-2020, 06:51 AM

Thank you. Love the car and have always loved the classic look of the jag. I was hoping to already have it running but looks like it will need more attention than a simple engine swap. Had a door panel issue on drivers side and hood needed some work from a dent that looked like someone jumped on it. The salvage yard had both that fit my trim package and color. So it looks good but not running

Old 12-26-2020, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,101 Likes on 845 Posts

Take the valve covers off the engine that’s still in the car and see if the cams are in time. Maybe is has bent valves but has a useable bottom end? Just tossing out an idea.

BTW, it’s supercharged or naturally aspirated.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Take the valve covers off the engine that’s still in the car and see if the cams are in time. Maybe is has bent valves but has a useable bottom end? Just tossing out an idea.

BTW, it’s supercharged or naturally aspirated.
I can go do that tomorrow . NA car.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

There's a place in Irving that going by the name of it, you'd never suspect that they specialize in these old Jag's. It's ironically called "American Auto Parts". They may have a good motor. https://americanautopartstx.com/ Their web page doesn't appear to be very well updated but I think they do 95% of their business on ebay. That's how I found them and just inquired about picking up some wheels to save shipping since they were local. I've been there a few times since but I recommend you call ahead because the front door is always locked and the staff are out back somewhere they can't hear you knocking.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by pdupler
There's a place in Irving that going by the name of it, you'd never suspect that they specialize in these old Jag's. It's ironically called "American Auto Parts". They may have a good motor. https://americanautopartstx.com/ Their web page doesn't appear to be very well updated but I think they do 95% of their business on ebay. That's how I found them and just inquired about picking up some wheels to save shipping since they were local. I've been there a few times since but I recommend you call ahead because the front door is always locked and the staff are out back somewhere they can't hear you knocking.

that’s who I got the replacement engine from. Hood and door card. He is a very nice guy and offered full refund if He can’t find a good replacement .

Old 12-31-2020, 11:05 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

if the wiring done correctly then go with LS more power better transmission a lot of parts out there . Personally I would get the reman engine