XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 xj8 radio won’t turn on

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 xj8 radio won’t turn on

Hi, I need some help here, the radio and on my xj8 won’t turn on at all, no light on the screen and no life. I’ve checked the fuses and they’re all good, but there is a connected in the trunk that isn’t plugged into anything and I don’t know if it’s a problem. Additionally, the antenna is broken and stuck partially extended to where I can extend it manually. Don’t know what’s wrong, so I came here to see if anyone here knows.

Wires coming out of mystery connector

Other connector in trunk that doesn’t go to anything

Pins in connector found next to cd changer

Full cd changer area with the connector shown, not sure if anything is missing here or not

Old 02-13-2023, 04:55 AM
Received 326 Likes on 190 Posts

I suspect that plug is for the sat-nav you haven't got. My XJR has factory sat-nav & there's a DVD player above the CD changer for it, it'd make sense it's got a power lead with three or four wires for that in the loom. Pretty sure I've got the same black plug connected to nothing by the battery too.

I believe the radio has at least two power supplies, there is the perm live for the memory functions & the ignition switched one so it turns on & off with the car. So there might well be a second fuse, but without checking the handbook I can't be sure on that.

Last edited by Hooli; 02-13-2023 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 451 Likes on 371 Posts

Hello "average jag user", sorry to hear that you are not hearing your radio.
I think the first thing to check, after relays and fuses, is that power is being
delivered to the radio, which can be done a number of ways. If you find
power is being delivered; it is safe to assume the radio is toast.

Old 03-08-2023, 12:23 PM

Update: I still haven’t got the radio working. The connectors in the trunk turned out to be irrelevant. I tested all of the fuses for the radio and they all work. I also checked to see if the radio was receiving power, 3 of the pins in the white connector to the head unit had power when the car was switched on, and I got a new battery for the car, the old one was the wrong one for the car and was dying. The car has also been jump started through the battery because of that.

At this point I’m fairly sure the head unit itself is dead and I’ll have to get a new one. The only thing left to check would be the antenna, it’s bent and it won’t go up or down all the way. The antenna also is not receiving power, not sure if this would cause an issue with the head unit or if it’s because of an issue in the head unit.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I had a lot to say and figured I should update here, any replies are helpful and appreciated, thanks for your time.

Old 03-08-2023, 12:37 PM
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Pretty much head unit is broken. It is not the first one..

The following users liked this post:
RandyS (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Old 03-08-2023, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the link, but the head unit in my car is the aj2000w, which is different. However, I did find another one for sale that seems to be the right one. I would have bought it already but at this point I’m still waiting for a title on the car, so I don’t want to spend too much until I have the title.

Old 03-08-2023, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

yep....that could make a difference! I should have asked what unit you had.

Old 03-09-2023, 03:10 AM
Received 326 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by average jag enjoyer
The only thing left to check would be the antenna, it’s bent and it won’t go up or down all the way. The antenna also is not receiving power, not sure if this would cause an issue with the head unit or if it’s because of an issue in the head unit.
If these work the same as every other radio I've touched & I can't see why they wouldn't, then there's a power out from the head unit when it turns on that activates the antenna. So I'd ignore that till you sort the head unit.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:08 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

There's a fuse under the rear left passenger heels I think it's 10amp iirc check both side I highly believe it's the left side

Old 08-14-2023, 07:17 PM
Default Problem solved

Hey, sorry for taking a while to reply but I have fixed the radio. As it turns out, I forgot to check the relays in the trunk assuming they were I had checked them before. them before. But I looked again and found the relay for the radio in the wrong place, I moved it back and after that everything with the radio worked perfectly! I suspect the relays were moved to the wrong places when I trying to get the car running.
Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

Old 05-05-2024, 07:33 PM

Hey, sorry for taking a while to reply but I have fixed the radio. As it turns out, I forgot to check the relays in the trunk assuming they were I had checked them before. them before. But I looked again and found the relay for the radio in the wrong place, I moved it back and after that everything with the radio worked perfectly! I suspect the relays were moved to the wrong places when I trying to get the car running.
Thank you all for the help and suggestions!
Hi
Where was the relay and where should it be?
Thanks

Old 05-06-2024, 09:23 AM
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Hi, I need some help here, the radio and on my xj8 won’t turn on at all, no light on the screen and no life. I’ve checked the fuses and they’re all good, but there is a connected in the trunk that isn’t plugged into anything and I don’t know if it’s a problem. Additionally, the antenna is broken and stuck partially extended to where I can extend it manually. Don’t know what’s wrong, so I came here to see if anyone here knows.
Wires coming out of mystery connector

Other connector in trunk that doesn’t go to anything

Pins in connector found next to cd changer

Full cd changer area with the connector shown, not sure if anything is missing here or not

That black connector goes to something that was connected when the car was shipped but I don't recall the reason. It does not do anything now. Perhaps the white connector would be for the navigation system (that is not installed in your car) or power for the aux amp in a premium system.

The fuses for the radio are F9 / 10A in the LH Heel box under the backseat kick panel and F3 5A in the trunk fuse box. Check these and if good, you can further check to see if you have power on the power plug on the back of the radio. If so, you probably need a new radio....

I know these radios might fail but I've never had one go out; except it might break the rubber band on the cassette player. Or the volume does not work right when turning the knob.

Best....

Old 05-11-2024, 05:51 PM

Hi. I still need help. 2 questions please
1. Which relay is for the power amp?
2. Where can i get a wire or pin definition for the power plug into the amp?

Thank you