XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 XJ8 Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again

The battery is almost recovered so I thought I'd check the spark plugs for condition before trying again. However, on removing the coil packs, one was covered in oil, the rubber sleeving and the bottom of the port is sodden. Could this have been the problem or could it be a result of the cranking?
I'm hoping that the seal around the plug has blown and replacing all plugs combined with a healthy battery will solve my problems. Could it be anything more problematic and could I do any more damage by continuing on my present path?

Thanks again

Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Hi again,

Romoved plugs, few drops of oil into each cylinder, new plugs in, turned her over a few times, re-connected coils and she started up first time! However.. after leaving it idle on the drive for about 10 mins I thought I'd blip the throttle slightly, it stalled and didn't want to wake up again.
Any ideas guys, you've been brilliant so far and it's really appreciated?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

I say try it again!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM

OK will do. I realise it must be slightly annoying for you experienced guys but I'm new to working on cars and slightly afraid of the unknown, especially as mistakes will be costly! So thanks, this forum is absolutely fantastic

Old 03-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

When you say experienced you must be talking about someone else. The only things I find annoying is not understanding the problem and not knowing a fix.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiegingerbater
Hi again,

Romoved plugs, few drops of oil into each cylinder, new plugs in, turned her over a few times, re-connected coils and she started up first time! However.. after leaving it idle on the drive for about 10 mins I thought I'd blip the throttle slightly, it stalled and didn't want to wake up again.
Any ideas guys, you've been brilliant so far and it's really appreciated?

Thanks
In an earlier post you said you had disconnected the battery - if so the learned settings the ECM has will disappear and apparently this can lead to rough running especially at idle until the ECM has re-learned the engine characteristics. Try again, coax her into life (no blipping!) and take her for a run. As a general rule, two or three stop/start/run cycles will get her mostly there but this is not written down anywhere so don't quote me.

Jim

Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I must tell you that I had no idea what "Blipping" was never heard it before until I came to this web forum.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 PM

Brilliant stuff. The battery didn't last long so I've ordered a new one, when it arrives I'll give it another go (no blipping).

Cheers

Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have noticed that these cars are dependent on a good battery.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

and a crystal ball !!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dinger
and a crystal ball !!
Are you up and running?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Followed the same steps, plugs out, oil in etc etc (but with a new battery)... started first time. I feathered the throttle after about 10 mins of idling and reluctantly the revs started to increase. Moved back and forth on my 15m drive before braving to switch of and re-start. Fired up without a complaint!! The Cat purred on a 10 mile spin, and hasn't missed a beat. Thank you all very much, your advice has been much appreciated and has saved me £100's.
I've always wanted an XJ, for me it is the ultimate saloon car, thankfully people like yourselves mean that not all problems have to be fixed/diagnosed by main dealers which would make ownership unviable.
I doubt if my tech know-how will ever be of assistance to anyone but if someone needs another pair of hands in the south wales uk area let me know.

Thanks Again

Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 PM

Also, if anyone is looking for a replacement battery check these guys out on ebay, "jag-land-uk", I had exactly the same battery (new) that the main dealers were offering and next day delivery for £55 inclusive. Should've been delivery within 3-4 days, told them I was desperate and I recieved it next day at no extra cost. Bargain

Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Great to hear it. A good capacity good quality battery is an essential part of trouble-free Jag motoring

Jim

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had my XJ8 for 11 years. About two years ago, I began having problems starting. I also saw some other REALLY ODD behaviours. Use the front driver's side window switch and the rear windows go down, etc. I found that there was something draining the battery, but even the dealer (who kept the car for 2-weeks while he let us drive a loaner jag) couldn't find the problem. He changed out the battery (no -charge for anything) and it worked fine... for a while. However, I haven't had any problems starting lately, even after parking the car at the airport for more than a week while I was traveling. I have found that the weird behaviors go away, if I disconnect the battery to reset the main computer. Another poster recommended touching the negative terminal connector to the positve connector to ensure that any capacitive energy stored in the computer is released. I'm not sure if this matters, but reseting the computer -- with a FULLY CHARGED -- battery seems to solve most ills. It is possible that after doing this, that the idle setting is confused which may make it difficult to start initially, but not the second time. This "fix" has solved transmission hard downshifting problems as well -- the computer controls everything in this car. My recomendation -- First make sure the battery is FULLY CHARGED -- then do a hard reset of the computer by removing the negative battery connector and holding it to the positive terminal (which is still connected). This removes all potential energy differences. Then reconnect the negative connector and try again. This is an easy do-it-yourself first try. Whether it works or not, it didn't cost you anything. Many times it has worked for me.