XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr

So if you were going to 'start all over again' - those of you who currently have, or have had Jaguar cars over the years, and you had to choose between either the XJ100 or a 2003 XJR - which would you prefer and why?

I am currently seeking out both as potential purchases and as I learn more about the X308 from 1997-2003 I am learning about certain issues that many advise to avoid - where possible.

Up to now, it would appear that finding a low mileage XJR100 with an assembly date past Aug 2001 is preferable.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and please know I would consider your advise as critical to my decision making process.

I anticipate preventative, and regular maintenance for the Cat that comes home with me, but I am looking to avoid unnecessary known headaches.

In any case I am seeking a low mileage car likely from southern US with a clear title, 1 owner, with a documented history of factory service records.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it is entirely up to you. The XJR 100 has the red stitching and only comes in anthracite and warm charcoal interior. It has the brembo's and the Montreal (I think) two piece BBS wheels. The rarity will make it harder to find and might add to the price. The 2003 with the brembo upgrade is basically the same thing it just gives you more color choices. The drive train is the same either way.

I think it would depend on whether you want it for a Sunday driver, or commuter. It it were the latter, I would get the '03 as it would be a waste to subject the 100 to the mileage of normal use and then destroy it's value through continued use.

Of course this is just my opinion... I'm sure you will get others that may differ!

The following users liked this post:
Chesterama (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 PM

Interesting take!

I should disclose my sole intention of purchasing the car is to drive it - as often as possible - and as much as possible.

I have no interest in reselling it, or maintaining it for the purpose of retaining it's value.

I am interested in the XJ100 for it's styling cues, and performance upgrades - that is - if in fact it's performance upgrades are worthy of the premium over a 2003 XJR.

The other issue is that I don't want to have to 'upgrade' items on the car - if the possiblity exists to get the car 'original' from the factory with the performance upgrades that make the car the powerful beast that it is. To be clear, I don't really want to buy an XJR and then fit it with 19's etc, etc ...to try to emulate the 100.

But you have a good point..finding the 100 will take more time, and will likely cost more.

I am keeping all options open, and budget is not an issue.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I think a lot depends on the specific car. Sometimes you see the attention to care and attention an owner has put into a car, has taken care of it as you would have, and that makes the difference, even if the other model may have an aesthetic advantage. If the cars are the same performance-wise, you have to weigh all the other factors for each car. After you have done that for a while, you will inspect one, drive it, and know.

Patience is key to finding the right car.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chesterama
Interesting take!

I should disclose my sole intention of purchasing the car is to drive it - as often as possible - and as much as possible.

I have no interest in reselling it, or maintaining it for the purpose of retaining it's value.

I am interested in the XJ100 for it's styling cues, and performance upgrades - that is - if in fact it's performance upgrades are worthy of the premium over a 2003 XJR.

The other issue is that I don't want to have to 'upgrade' items on the car - if the possiblity exists to get the car 'original' from the factory with the performance upgrades that make the car the powerful beast that it is. To be clear, I don't really want to buy an XJR and then fit it with 19's etc, etc ...to try to emulate the 100.

But you have a good point..finding the 100 will take more time, and will likely cost more.

I am keeping all options open, and budget is not an issue.
If I'm not mistaken there aren't any performance upgrades on the 100. Everything is cosmetic. There is the stitching, the MOMO shift knob, the sill plates, and badges. Everything else is basically the same as every other XJR. If you get a '03 R1 model, you will have everything else without the added cost.

Just my opinion, but I would still go with the '03.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR

I think it would depend on whether you want it for a Sunday driver, or commuter. It it were the latter, I would get the '03 as it would be a waste to subject the 100 to the mileage of normal use and then destroy it's value through continued use.
+1 on this, a 2003 XJR with the R1 (Brembo's and rims) would be a better option. If you buy a 100, the idea would be to keep it the way it is. There were just under 250 shipped to North America according to production figures from Jaguar. So scarce is the word here.

It took me over 12 months to find my 100, although there's only 85 odd in RHD. I wanted a black car. The 100 has other subtle tweaks the vanilla XJR doesn't as mentioned. It doesn't have the lower bump strips down the sides, making it look cleaner in my view. Also unique boot badge and decal on the passenger airbag wood. It also every factory option apart from power rear seats offered as standard. (That's a LWB option anyway)

Both have gen3 engines, so no issues to be concerned about there.

The down side.....
The restoration of the special 19" BBS Montreal wheels is a problem, they need to be good. You cannot replace the stainless trims like on 18 & 20" wheels.
The cost of replacement Brembo spec pads and rotors is costly. So recent change to look for.

Both great cars, but it's down to what you find in your locale and how much you want to spend, it could be a long search!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

The down side.....
You cannot replace the stainless trims like on 18 & 20"wheels.

What do you mean by that ?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by luc
The down side.....
You cannot replace the stainless trims like on 18 & 20"wheels.

What do you mean by that ?
I understood this to mean that the 19" BBS Montreal Rims are difficult to locate, or otherwise impossible purchase from the factory.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

The XJ100 has subtle details that make it look amazing (probably the main reason to buy it) - I have had a picture of one hanging in my home for years - but in terms of driving pleasure, I cannot understand why would anyone want 19" wheels on a 4-door Jag to minimize the bump-absorption...

Buy the XJ100 for an expensive unique beautiful museum piece, the XJR is more practical at a lower price with 18" wheels.

Note, my taste sides towards elegance, so my choice was for a VDP with 16" wheels... My advice is don't listen to me or anyone else and just buy what you really like - you will be happier.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

+1 for 2003

Personally, the red piping and wheels would be a deal killer. Or at least, not a plus factor.

And, isn't the 2003 rumoured to have the 3rd gen secondary tensioners?

As the engine is a really big concern, the opportunity to get a last year X308 would be compelling. Especially as you mention its role as a daily driver.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Would I be obtuse to disclose I want the 100 for the evental track days as well? Not a full track fitting however (cage and such)

It has a much cleaner look and stance - notably less dressed for 5th ave, but suitably decked out for doing spirited laps.

Last edited by Chesterama; 03-07-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go for the 2002 XJR100 just because it automatically comes with the "R Package" and because it is rare, and slightly unique compared to the standard XJRs. However, I prefer the wood shift knob and wood steering wheel rim in the standard XJR as opposed to the leather ones in the 100.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chesterama
Would I be obtuse to disclose I want the 100 for the evental track days as well? Not a full track fitting however (cage and such)

It has a much cleaner look and stance - notably less dressed for 5th ave, but suitably decked out for doing spirited laps.
That's surprising since you have probably the ultimate trackday car, you'd be yawning and looking around between corners in the XJ....you'd probably do it once, cook the brakes and shell out a grand to replace warped rotors after a day at the track with an XJR.

More fun to use an XKR but even that's a heavy lump. In England we produce things like the Radical SR, THE Lotus 7 types Caterham 500, Ariel Atom, Grinnall Scorpion, LCC Rocket, etc etc for days....not 2 ton saloons!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
That's surprising since you have probably the ultimate trackday car, you'd be yawning and looking around between corners in the XJ....you'd probably do it once, cook the brakes and shell out a grand to replace warped rotors after a day at the track with an XJR.

More fun to use an XKR but even that's a heavy lump. In England we produce things like the Radical SR, THE Lotus 7 types Caterham 500, Ariel Atom, Grinnall Scorpion, LCC Rocket, etc etc for days....not 2 ton saloons!
The 100 would be to provide livery services to and from said site - not for actual racing. After. Is a long day of hard cornering and loud braking and drifting the X100 would be the ideal sportsman's civilized way to break for lunch and transport clients around the track with grace and guts.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

In my case when searching ........the car always makes the decision for me. Finding a one owner garaged car becomes harder and harder as time passes --- when you find one with low milage you have to be ready to buy it because ..... its gone... And normally you need to pay a premium. But they end up being the cheapest cars to own.

You have to like the changes to the 100. I like the idea of the red stitching -- they copied Porsche on this -- unfortunately the leather is nothing special. 18" tires are a problem on the XJ's -- so having the larger ones on the 100 just adds to the problem of ride and damage. I did not see any difference in the braking -- it must have some additional capacity although I do not know the pad area comparison - so the added cost of the system and the wheel limitation of a snow set makes this a problem for me. Don't like the dark wood.

But if a perfect 100 came floating by vs a less than perfect XJR -- I would get the 100 and figure an extra couple thousand dollars on the maintenance / tires.

Ideally - the latest XJR w/o the "R" package would be ideal for me -- but I already own a 50k perfect example.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I own both, and the differances are night and day, in handling and ride. My 100 has 22K miles.
I might consider selling if interested. PM me.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

....I like the idea of the red stitching -- they copied Porsche on this --

No they didn't, they've been doing contrast stitching in Jaguars since the SS100. Ferdinand didn't start making his stuff until after WW2.

....unfortunately the leather is nothing special. ---

According to my buildsheet, the leather is "embossed Autolux leather sports seats in Warm Charcoal with Cherry red contrast stitching" - as I understand it, you can't get a better auto trim leather.

....18" tires are a problem on the XJ's -- so having the larger ones on the 100 just adds to the problem of ride and damage. ---

The 100 goes from 18x40x9J to 19x35x9J - wheel diameters are near the same. Decent 19" tyres are cheaper now because most performance cars run on them.

Have you driven both back to back and compared them? I have and find the comments total boll*cks! Sorry! Same ride, better cornering on the 100, marginally better brakes too!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Donzi
I own both, and the differances are night and day, in handling and ride. My 100 has 22K miles.
I might consider selling if interested. PM me.
how? and how much?!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Sean - not here to argue with anyone or to be proven correct -- just trying to give some information. We can all have different perspectives.

Jaguar interiors were always special -- at one time in the USA could get them somewhat more customized. They have used a variety of contrasting piping and also contrasting stitching to a lesser degree on certain vehicles.

Porsche made famous the colored piping of red and yellow -- although you can get other colors. You often see black Porsche interiors with red or yellow stitching and then you order the seat belts in the same color. I have done this and it is sharp. It was extremely popular to do this in the late 80's and 90's. BMW also did this -- it was even mentioned in one of the reviews when the 100 came out.

Unfortunately -- Connolly leather company was on the way out as the 90's progressed -- they stopped using the really high quality product on the x308. They lived on for a while -- in name only - and they continued to use the "autolux" name. But unfortunately the leather in the 308's including the 100 is nothing like the x300's. I believe the last car to use the original "Autolux" leather was the 95 VDP - they may have had stock past that point but it was wholesaled a little later.

As to the tires -- it has nothing to do with the cost. The design and geometry of the suspension is antiquated and it does not take to larger tires. So my point is that even 18" pose a problem -- the lower profile of the 19" coupled to the more delicate design of the 19" wheel just adds to it.

My usage of the 100 was only for a couple of weeks -- I was debating between the 100 and an XJR. They had two very low mile examples of each - so I switched back and forth a few times for a few weeks. My 308 VDP had been totaled. They did give me a higher mile one a few years ago when mine was in for service. My biggest problem with the car was the 19" tires -- both the ride and the difficulty getting a second set of wheels to fit over the brakes -- I install snows in the winter. Other than that I did not see all that much difference.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
how? and how much?!
PM me to discuss.

Quick Reply: 2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr