XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Sean - not here to argue with anyone or to be proven correct -- just trying to give some information. We can all have different perspectives.

Jaguar interiors were always special -- at one time in the USA could get them somewhat more customized. They have used a variety of contrasting piping and also contrasting stitching to a lesser degree on certain vehicles.

Porsche made famous the colored piping of red and yellow -- although you can get other colors. You often see black Porsche interiors with red or yellow stitching and then you order the seat belts in the same color. I have done this and it is sharp. It was extremely popular to do this in the late 80's and 90's. BMW also did this -- it was even mentioned in one of the reviews when the 100 came out.

Unfortunately -- Connolly leather company was on the way out as the 90's progressed -- they stopped using the really high quality product on the x308. They lived on for a while -- in name only - and they continued to use the "autolux" name. But unfortunately the leather in the 308's including the 100 is nothing like the x300's. I believe the last car to use the original "Autolux" leather was the 95 VDP - they may have had stock past that point but it was wholesaled a little later.

As to the tires -- it has nothing to do with the cost. The design and geometry of the suspension is antiquated and it does not take to larger tires. So my point is that even 18" pose a problem -- the lower profile of the 19" coupled to the more delicate design of the 19" wheel just adds to it.

My usage of the 100 was only for a couple of weeks -- I was debating between the 100 and an XJR. They had two very low mile examples of each - so I switched back and forth a few times for a few weeks. My 308 VDP had been totaled. They did give me a higher mile one a few years ago when mine was in for service. My biggest problem with the car was the 19" tires -- both the ride and the difficulty getting a second set of wheels to fit over the brakes -- I install snows in the winter. Other than that I did not see all that much difference.

I have to disagree with you on the leather;

I had a long talk with Connolly, way back in 2002, a couple of months before they went bankrupt.
The only change they ever made to their leather was not in the quality of the hides but in the tanning process ( do to their EPA regulations)
Keep in mind that Jaguar offered 2 grades of Connolly leather, the "regular" and the Autolux.
In 2002 i bought a full hide of Warm Charcoal Autolux and the quality is second to none.
Certainly in par with the X300 or XJ40

Last edited by luc; 03-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by luc:
burmaz (03-08-2011), Chesterama (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean, Donzi - thanks to you both for your insight and enigmatic banter over the differences between the two.

Today I had the opportunity to take an '03 XJR for the day and I have to say sitting in the car felt like being in a Ford!! Taurus or something...the factory radio, the buttons, and controls, door handles, etc.

It was something about the curvy dash board and the speedometer...I can't quite place it, but it was instantly a turn-off (in my mind).

The exterior of the car is what I am truly in love with ... there is passion, and strength, and a commanding stance to the XJR ... the interior although it's cozy and fits around you in a snug and secure fashion doesn't feel 'English' ... it feels American.

Am I missing something?!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by luc

I had a long talk with Connolly, way back in 2002, a couple of months before the went bankrupt.
The only change they ever made to their leather was not in the quality of the hides but in the tanning process ( do to their EPA regulations)
Keep in mind that Jaguar offered 2 grades of Connolly leather, the "regular" and the Autolux.
In 2002 i bought a full hide of Warm Charcoal Autolux and the quality is second to none.
Thanks Luc - I have to say the leather seats in the 03 XJR were impressive ... quality feel, supple, supportive, but not cushy or too 'lazy-boy' like.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by luc

I had a long talk with Connolly, way back in 2002, a couple of months before the went bankrupt.
Thanks Luc, I have been talking about this on this forum about the VDP leather in the past. It's good to have some good insight. I know someone with a X300 '95 with ivory interior, and other than the more cushioned back seat and inferior fluted leather centers (unlike the X308 pleated leather), the ivory leather felt the same as mine. The USA X308 VDP's leather is the same as the Daimler Super V8 (pleated), whereas the X300 is the same as the standard Daimler (fluted). I think Connolly supplied all of the X308s leather even the '03s too.

I wonder if the discontinuation of the X308 led to their bankruptcy (I kinda doubt it though). Any specific reason for their bankruptcy?

Anyone ever dyed the stitching around the ski slope and etc. similar to the XJR-100? I think brown stitching to match the piping in my VDP would look really good, but I would have to see pictures first.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chesterama
Sean, Donzi - thanks to you both for your insight and enigmatic banter over the differences between the two.

Today I had the opportunity to take an '03 XJR for the day and I have to say sitting in the car felt like being in a Ford!! Taurus or something...the factory radio, the buttons, and controls, door handles, etc.

It was something about the curvy dash board and the speedometer...I can't quite place it, but it was instantly a turn-off (in my mind).

The exterior of the car is what I am truly in love with ... there is passion, and strength, and a commanding stance to the XJR ... the interior although it's cozy and fits around you in a snug and secure fashion doesn't feel 'English' ... it feels American.

Am I missing something?!
Wow, I have never seen this perspective about the X308. We all have our own different preferences.

Have you looked at a Vanden Plas with ivory interior with brown piping? Maybe you would like that more?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 PM

The 'Ford" factor was still not enough to kill the experience...I found myself constantly looking in the mirrors to see the gorgeous flowing lines of the sides of the car and view out the rear window...what amazing driver field of view!

Here's the interior of the illustrious XJR:

And now...compare the 2003 Ford Taurus interior:

Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chesterama

Am I missing something?!
I have to agree with Chesterama that there is little if any comparison to the Taurus or any other Ford of that time for that matter in the X308. I looked at several different Jags when I was searching for mine, and the X308 was the most authentic Jag of any that I was looking at. I looked at the X-type, S-type, X350, and X308. All in all the value for the $$ was in the X308 and ultimately the adherence to the Jag heritage. I was looking for a sedan (saloon) so I ruled out the XK, otherwise that would have been on the top of my list.

The S-type was vetoed by the boss (wife) as she felt it looked too much like a Taurus, but she never felt that way with the X308. I must admit that I really enjoyed driving the S-type R, but you have to do what the boss asks in matters of this nature!

Just my 2 cents worth...

Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 PM

The only similarities IMHO is that the Taurus and XJ (which is a VDP in the pic) is a similar interior color and the Taurus' use of wood (terrible plastic wood).

It can be said the Taurus is a copy of the XJ, since it came out first! I gotta admit, some of the interior pieces in the XJ are shockingly cheap for their original MSRP.

The rear and side visibility IMHO is excellent in the XJ, much better than any other car I have driven. It can be hard to see around the hood however.

If Jaguar made a S-Type R coupe, bye XJ, hello S-type coupe for me! I would imagine it being a better looking Bentley Contiental GT.The XK so beautiful, but the lack of a sunroof kills it for me, and I don't like convertibles.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 AM

I'll agree that some things did remind me of Ford in the car. The steering wheel which Jag had been using since the x300 is almost an exact copy of the wheel in the 98 taurus our family had. Also, the window switches, while not exactly alike, look very close to the ones used in the taurus. The curvy dash doesn't help either. But... The rest of the interior feels quite British in my opinion, and during the times these cars were made, nothing else matched it. I really like knowing all that wood is real!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

@ Burmaz coupe as in this?

http://luxurycars-design.blogspot.co...r-r-coupe.html

I so wish they'd had a punt and made this....one would be sat in my garage right now.

I also love the original XJ Coupe. I've had a hankering, along with my father to produce the ultimate XJC with 308 running gear.....a pipe dream because the ones we've looked at for the project have all been affected by rust to the point it'd be too big a job. Now if I could find a rust free example in the USA........

Attached Thumbnails 2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr-1976-jaguar-xjc-coupe-race-car.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Luc -- Can't comment on your leather or the person you spoke to but they unloaded a lot of stuff years before that ....or the EPA in the UK. The problems started way before 2002.

My family is in the fabrics/ manufacturing business and my dad had worked on a project to supply manmade suede for car interiors.

They kept losing customers -- and they had to move to using different products -- what NOS that had in 2002 is anybodies guess. But the leather did change that they supplied to Jaguar.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

"I wonder if the discontinuation of the X308 led to their bankruptcy (I kinda doubt it though). Any specific reason for their bankruptcy?"

As far that I know, was 2 main reasons:

The market ( and their share of it) for automotive leather shrunk due to competition and the fact that starting in the 70/80 more and more cars were using man-made materials and the fact that a joint venture they had in the USA went bankrupt with a lot of debts, putting a huge financial pressure on Connolly UK.

Most, if not all the hides used by Connolly came from Sweden main reason being that the #1 issue with hides is scars/cuts due to fence wires and Sweden being a very cold country, most of the cows spend their life inside barns therefore avoiding this issue

Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2002 xjr 100

I just purchased one 6 months ago - and it is superb. All said I like the exterior look, interior and handling etc. For some reason my does not have the GPS. But mine is a Candian model and only about 29 were split beteen Mexico and Canada and the US got the balance of the NA allotment. The only problem is that the finish on the wheels are flaking an I will need them refinished. One other observation - mine has no chrome around the windows - I believe this was standard. Also mine has a very dark window tint - but I believe that may have been done later. The car has 105,000 Km - I put the last 10,000 on with no issues. Runs perfectly - This is a keeper and a true gentlemen's express, and I will drive it but try to limit the mileage. The 19 inch Montreal wheels on a blacked out car sets it apart. I smile each time I get in the car.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Two year old thread is two years old.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabezagrande
Two year old thread is two years old.
And the car's we're discussing are 10 years old....

@Katana man - some had a factory privacy tint - no problem on a wheel refinish there's a thread with all the info required in the XK8/R forum, search BBS refinish etc. No window chrome on any 100's windows, all black.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by katana man
I just purchased one 6 months ago - and it is superb. All said I like the exterior look, interior and handling etc. For some reason my does not have the GPS. But mine is a Candian model and only about 29 were split beteen Mexico and Canada and the US got the balance of the NA allotment. The only problem is that the finish on the wheels are flaking an I will need them refinished. One other observation - mine has no chrome around the windows - I believe this was standard. Also mine has a very dark window tint - but I believe that may have been done later. The car has 105,000 Km - I put the last 10,000 on with no issues. Runs perfectly - This is a keeper and a true gentlemen's express, and I will drive it but try to limit the mileage. The 19 inch Montreal wheels on a blacked out car sets it apart. I smile each time I get in the car.

You gotta post some pictures!

Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
Most, if not all the hides used by Connolly came from Sweden main reason being that the #1 issue with hides is scars/cuts due to fence wires and Sweden being a very cold country, most of the cows spend their life inside barns therefore avoiding this issue
What I've heard is a good few hides came from Norway, and it's not that the cows stay inside - it's that we use electric fences. They probably do that in Sweden too.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (07-02-2016)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XJR 100 pics

Here it is

Attached Thumbnails 2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr-img_1182-comp.jpg   2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr-img_1166-comp.jpg   2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr-img_1183-comp.jpg   2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr-img_1181-comp.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi
I own both, and the differances are night and day, in handling and ride. My 100 has 22K miles.
I might consider selling if interested. PM me.
Hey, i was wondering if your still interested in selling your 100?
-Mike

Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Beautiful XJR 100

Quick Reply: 2002 xjr 100 vs. 2003 xjr