XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 xjr fuel pump problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 12:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2002 xjr fuel pump problem?

Hello I'm trying to get my 2002 xjr back on the road. It's been setting for a few years now I put a new/used maf and have new bosch 02 sensors I need to install. Currently its outside on gravel drive, it ran a while ago but rough. Now it won't start, no fuel to fuel rail.
I removed the line going to the fuel filter under the car, a little gas came out but when turning over engine nothing. I removed the fuses #7 and #18 jumped to battery on both sides and both fuse nothing out of the filter. Only on the #7 did I get a small spart when touching to + side of battery nothing anywhere else. But can't hear the pump working and there isn't gas out of the filter.
Do I need to replace the pumps? I've done this twice before on other xjr's really not looking forward to this. Are there anyother steps I should check before I pull the trunk?
By the way I poured some gas down the intake throttle body and it ran rough for a few seconds.

Old 01-21-2024, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

It sounds like a fuel pump replacement job is in order, just to double check - you jumped the fuel pump relays, both? you can check fuel pressure too at the fuel rail.
But yes, sounds like they need replacing.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:57 PM

didn't jump the fuel pump relays went directly to the fuel pump fuse #7 and #18, I think putting 12v on them (first one side then the other) with a spade connector should go directly to the fuel pump? Anyway not getting pressure at fuel rail it just seems strange both fuel pumps failing.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

A few years back I bought my 2002 XJR from an owner in Orlando (sight unseen). He put it on a transporter to Dallas. I unloaded it and ran it around the block. Everything worked fine...no warning lights or codes. Then had to put it away for a few months. When I went to restart it, both pumps were stone cold dead. I went in through the back seat parcel shelf for the replacement.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:55 PM

thru the back seat shelf... didn't do that on my 99 or 2000, got under the tank disconnected the fuel lines and pulled the tanks, wow gonna try removing the shelf as the other way is a real pain.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:31 PM

I think the effort is about equal. Only real advantage is if I have to do the job again...cut the tack welds on the "lid", and there it is. I used a Dremel with a box of cutoff wheels and a canvas "blanket" stuffed up over the tank top to protect from sparks. Also very difficult to see inside the tank because of rear window angle...mirrors and feel. It was 100 degrees F when I did it, so that added to the pain.... Here's a link to photos...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-pump-242935/

Also look at this current, related thread Helpful Hints wanted - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Last edited by 64etype; 01-21-2024 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by powellwm
didn't jump the fuel pump relays went directly to the fuel pump fuse #7 and #18 ...
According to the diagram, Pump 1 is Fuse #7 and Pump 2 is Fuse #15

Old 01-22-2024, 04:57 PM

your right about pump #2 is fuse 15, diagram on line wasn't too clear and looked like an 18 (both are 20 amp fuses) anyway found my book on the car and verified the fuse, tested and either pump arn't working...
checked out the panel on behind the rear seat and unable to access the pump there.
watched a video where tank was pulled out a little ways without disconnecting the fuel lines, gonna try that when rain stops (car is outside on gravel drive way.)

Old 01-22-2024, 05:12 PM

just looked at the pictures of cutting a access panel on the deck behind the rear seat... i may try that (not the first time I've done something like this on my 94 camaro convertible it has similar problem, need to drop the tank to change the fuel pump. I cut hole in deck behind the rear seat and got it out. anyway thanks for all the info and now I have options on how to proceed;

Old 01-22-2024, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 819 Posts

I would highly suggest that you don’t pull the tank without disconnecting the fuel lines from the bottom of the tank first. Smashed, kinked or leaking fuel lines as a result of this will be on the very high frustration level to repair.

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (01-23-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Do not attempt to move the tank far enough to remove the pumps, almost guaranteed to kink the lines, and replacements are not available. I did the hole in the parcel shelf on my 97 and that works, but not fun replacing the pumps.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:39 PM

FYI, the rear seat bottom and back, seat belts/inertia reels, speaker, head rests, and the finish tray(s) on the shelf need to come out. That alone is a pretty time-consuming task. Helps if you have a second set of hands when extracting the big chunks out the doors. It goes back together much quicker than removal....

The electrical plug at the top can be removed from inside the trunk (pull the trim panel out) to preclude cutting the wires when you slice into the metal. The Autozone Delphi pumps fit the rubber isolation brackets with very minor Exacto Knife trimming. Also, the pump plugs match the ones in the Jaguar harness. Finally, the original Jaguar suction filter pads are part of the failure scenario in my estimation....

Last edited by 64etype; 01-22-2024 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by powellwm
just looked at the pictures of cutting a access panel on the deck behind the rear seat... i may try that (not the first time I've done something like this on my 94 camaro convertible it has similar problem, need to drop the tank to change the fuel pump. I cut hole in deck behind the rear seat and got it out. anyway thanks for all the info and now I have options on how to proceed;
If you have a look through fuel pump replacement threads on here I've always been against cutting a bulkhead when all parts are NLA like rear screen. They crack like toffee with a levered elbow.

If you have the plastic hose removal tool and have thin forearms, or can persuade someone who has to push them up into the tank base, you've won the job right there, auto shutoff, pulled clear and the tank ready to be cleared...

Loosen the 2 steel bands pinning the tank and hook them to the trunk lid (propped)
Undo the filler neck and overfill pipe...
Hard board onto the spare wheel, and slide the tank forward from the top.
I did this job last summer, it's simple if you have the tools and thin arms, it's tight.

The car ran well, but I felt it was a little down on power. Then it wouldn't start. It was operating on one fuel pump for I don't know how long, they don't go out together, one can fail, but there's the second, once that goes kaput then...OE connector on the pumps, then it's a case of doing the job once.