XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 XJR Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2002 XJR Transmission Problem

A friend of mine has an '02 XJR with a serious transmission problem. I don't recall the mileage on his car.

When he puts the car in drive it will only go forward in top (6th) gear. He has a transmission light on the console and a message about coolant. I suggested he take it to the local AAMCO transmission for evaluation. In addition I told him to have the transmission code light read so he would have some idea about the problem. I told him the cost to rebuild his Mercedes Model 722.6 transmission is about $2,500 to $3,500 installed.

Has anyone had this problem on their XJR? Does anyone recommend another transmission shop in the Detroit, MI area?

What additional advice would you give him about this transmission problem?
Thanks for your help.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by stremsjg
A friend of mine has an '02 XJR with a serious transmission problem. I don't recall the mileage on his car.

When he puts the car in drive it will only go forward in top (6th) gear. He has a transmission light on the console and a message about coolant. I suggested he take it to the local AAMCO transmission for evaluation. In addition I told him to have the transmission code light read so he would have some idea about the problem. I told him the cost to rebuild his Mercedes Model 722.6 transmission is about $2,500 to $3,500 installed.

Has anyone had this problem on their XJR? Does anyone recommend another transmission shop in the Detroit, MI area?

What additional advice would you give him about this transmission problem?
Thanks for your help.
I'm not sure about the XJR costs because mine is still solid, but I just had my Wife's VW New Beetle in to AAMCO to see how much to rebuild the Transmission. $3500-$4500.

$2500-$3500 seems reasonable in comparison...

PS: I'm not having the Tranni done at AAMCO. I've determined, by using many hours on Google, that the Valve Body is the Culprit and I will be changing that myself. Also, not too impressed by the local AAMCO shop. Dirty, unorganized, and the mechanic sat on the hood of my wife's car when he was reading his scanner and smoking a cig, (Not leaned against, Sat On. I asked him to move and he seemed indignant). The VW doesn't have enough steel in the hood to hold up a 250lb mechanic.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the valve body is a good guess, but I would start with pulling the codes.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
I think the valve body is a good guess, but I would start with pulling the codes.
Thank you Ken for the reply. AAMCO pulled the codes, but nothing came up. My symptoms are that it Flare Shifts between 3rd and 4th. I've read that the New Beetle transmission has a problem with the Solenoids on the Valves. The Valve body I am getting is updated with rebuilt solenoids that have better bushings that don't tend to stick over time. It's a design flaw in the original. VW continues to install the same Transmission and Valve Body to this day. The 09G Transmission is commonly broken by 40-80K miles. And they call it a Lifetime Transmission. Sure, but its lifetime is usually 40K-80K miles. When it happened to us, we had 82,000 miles on it. Our warranty is 80K miles.

I pulled the Valve body out and cleaned it up really well, and it shifts quite well now. But the same Solenoids are still in there so I opted to just replace it. Unfortunately, on this trans, it's $550 wholesale with the upgrades done. But my wife uses it every day and I don't want her left beside the highway some evening...

I considered rebuilding it myself ($290 for modified solenoids), but when it's done by the builder, they also calibrate the solenoids for better shifting, something I'm unable to do. And I'm sure they would be better at finding other problems I might miss.

Again, thank you Ken! I really appreciate your feedback throughout this forum.

PS: VW wants $6000 for a new transmission. When I've asked them to do an oil change, they refused stating it was lifetime, said they never do it. Hmmm, quite a racket. Just did my second trans fluid change on my XJR. Shifts Wonderfully!