XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2003 XJ8 engine warning light

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 221 Likes on 98 Posts

Check engine light means that there is something wrong with one of the vehicles powertrain systems. You ll have to hook up a scan tool and give us a code if you want us to help you.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2004 xjrs, check engine light is amber/valet mode

just car this car a week ago, i was using the green key commuting with it , i pushed the valet button, the car stayed in valet mode, i tried to unlock the trunk with the black key, no luck, i tried to lock the car and unlock it with the black key, no luck, finally I had a spare black key, i used it and was able to get it off the valley mode. still the first black key wont work . Also the check engine light amber color came on after I had pressed the valet mode button while driving the car with the green key. help............................

Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is no connection between the ewl on and the valet mode. you have done nothing wrong by pressing the valet mode. on some models you need a code to get the car out of valet mode. the ewl is a deeper problem caused by the power train system. have you got any messages on the dash (ie restricted performance or gearbox fault) most common causes on those cars are air induction leaks and 02 sensors. i have also had a few thermostat bring up a ewl as well and when removed found the outer seal incorrectly positioned

The following users liked this post:
tanios (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my advise wuld be take the car to you local jaguar dealer for them to carry out diag on the light

The following users liked this post:
tanios (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by 00gkingr
there is no connection between the ewl on and the valet mode. you have done nothing wrong by pressing the valet mode. on some models you need a code to get the car out of valet mode. the ewl is a deeper problem caused by the power train system. have you got any messages on the dash (ie restricted performance or gearbox fault) most common causes on those cars are air induction leaks and 02 sensors. i have also had a few thermostat bring up a ewl as well and when removed found the outer seal incorrectly positioned
thanks for your quick reply, as i've reading other posts, the gas cap may not be tightend good, or I noticed the air filter upper cover is broke where it attaches to the bottom part, should I try these two first??

Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Default thank you

Originally Posted by 00gkingr
my advise wuld be take the car to you local jaguar dealer for them to carry out diag on the light
thank you, u helped me pin point the problem, sorry i didn't reply back regarding a message with the amber color "restricted driving", it was only the amber light on with no messages, so next morning i retightnened the gas cap and the light vanished.
I was reading another post same car and same mileage, they were changing,spark plugs,wires,sensors, not for nothing i believe"if it's working leave it alone"
thank you again.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by tanios
thank you, u helped me pin point the problem, sorry i didn't reply back regarding a message with the amber color "restricted driving", it was only the amber light on with no messages, so next morning i retightnened the gas cap and the light vanished.
I was reading another post same car and same mileage, they were changing,spark plugs,wires,sensors, not for nothing i believe"if it's working leave it alone"
thank you again.
I've got to say you're very lucky with the result. First (cheap) investment is to buy an OBD code reader - this plugs into a socket under the steering wheel towards the transmission tunnel and pulls the codes that relate to engine warning lights, these codes point you towards diagnosis with related explanations for each code given. You can find this code list and OBD reader that work with these cars in the sticky (top) post of this forum.