XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2003 XJ8 transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 2003 XJ8 transmission question

Were their any running changes on the ZF 5spd. transmissions in these vehicles, or will they all fail? I am looking at a 2003 XJ8 and was wondering if at that time ZF had changed any of the transmission parts to make it more durable.

I found out that at least the chain tensioners by this time had been changed to an improved model but I had not seen anything about transmissions been upgraded.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Scptlad:
I have not seem any documentation supporting a change, but I have seen conjecture by others that the A drum or the tolerances in the valve that lead to A drum failure were fixed, and my wife's MY 02 NA is doing fine at 175,000 on the original box.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Scptlad:
I have not seem any documentation supporting a change, but I have seen conjecture by others that the A drum or the tolerances in the valve that lead to A drum failure were fixed, and my wife's MY 02 NA is doing fine at 175,000 on the original box.
From what I've been able to glean from my rebuilder, wrenches that deal with the cats, beemers, and audi lines...it was a running change that surfaced as the critical mass and infant mortality numbers started indicating a trend (manufacturers expect a certain failure rate...say .x% per 10000 produced)...which was in the '01-'02 timeframe. No hard 'from S/N forward...', necessarily, but introduced as a running change.

Nice (?) thing is, when or if it does happen, and you're forced to pull the box, the rebuild is done with latest spec components updated to correct the weakness.

(let's see...I have an '03 engine with cast iron liners, dual row primary, updated secondary chains, metal tensioners, new engine mounts, overhauled transmission...new coil packs, metal thermostat housing, new water pump, new thermostat...I'm hoping I got all the weak points in the driveline (for now..))

Sad thing is that the oriignal owner(s) didn't bite the bullet and do it properly to begin with. In the Lotus marque enthusiast's world, they're called "DPO": despised previous owners.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

bdboyle- maybe a drain plug in the differential?

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
bdboyle- maybe a drain plug in the differential?
Thinking that, once the winter is over (I do want to put some miles on the cat now that I've bitten the bullet on the major weak points...) that the rear may need some attention (fluid change, seals, etc).

My tech did mention that the last time the brakes were done, the only thing replaced (from his observation) were the pads and probably had the disks trued up. Next time...it's a full set of disks and pads.

In a couple weeks, the hose on top coming off the front of the thermo housing is bulging a bit...not bad, but definitely bulging. Going to pop that off, replace the thermostat, and keep going.

It's not the destination, right? It's the journey....LOL

Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jaguar states that the transmission requires no maintenance for lifetime of car.

The fluid is the "lifeblood" of the transmission.

Renews and preserves the seals / lubricates everything and cleans and prevents varnish on critical parts. Specifically check ***** / valves in the valve body that does all shifting.

The torque converter does a lot of work and deserves a drink of fresh blood.

Trust me, drop fluid and pan, change transmission filter with the right tiype.

I always change mine once a year in every vehicle that I have.

Have never replaced a tranny,

Wally C
03 XJ8

Originally Posted by Scotlad
Were their any running changes on the ZF 5spd. transmissions in these vehicles, or will they all fail? I am looking at a 2003 XJ8 and was wondering if at that time ZF had changed any of the transmission parts to make it more durable.

I found out that at least the chain tensioners by this time had been changed to an improved model but I had not seen anything about transmissions been upgraded.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

For at least the last 5 years Jaguar have stated the opposite i.e. that trans fluid needs replacement. See their TOPIX/GTR.

It may be more than 5 years, I didn't look then.

ZF say the same.

Many dealers haven't a clue about any trans so just spout nonsense rather than admit their ignorance or learn anything new. Ignore them. Go with Jaguar and ZF.