XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2003 xjr hard shift question - should i be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I just picked up a 95 XJR-6 and the tranny shifts extremely hard from 1st to 2nd.. On the highway it shifts fine in higher gears.. Also the hardest shift is when u 1st drive off that 1st shift after that its better.. Tge tranny light also turnes on..

Is there any way to check what the tranny light is saying..

Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took my car for service Xtype Estate 2007 , as i was driving i could not shift gears but when i switched off the Engine the car could go into gears but once it is on and moving it was not going into gears , eventual the clutched was not working and it gave me a low brake fluid fault , i added the brake fluid and it is still giving me the same fault .... i can drive the car but i have to switch it off to go into gear number one or reverse , when it is moving i can change into other gears !!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

i just had my hard shift issue diagnosed by a tranny expert...and he believes it is something in the valve block and wants the car for a day to change it out to see if that solves the problem...he said it is probably one of the springs or ***** in the valve block...will let you guys know how it goes...

Old 01-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeldogt may well be on to a point, even if he is understating the Merc’s transmission ‘problems’.

If the transmission has been ‘serviced’ and refilled with whatever fluid was on hand, and/or with an incorrect filter, you could well experience these symptoms. Also, because it is very difficult to reach the upper filling point around the top of the transmission, frequently insufficient fluid is put in, and harsh changes will result, particularly under load. My bus partner tells me that often the replacement fluid level can be up to 1 litre short.

It is vitally important to ensure that the amount of fluid in the box is within spec: too much and seals can ‘blow’, too little and harsh changes cause accelerated wear. I don’t ascribe to the ‘sealed for life’ theory: it’s subjective. If you treat the car like a pram with a sleeping baby on board, it’s probably a reasonable supposition. For the rest of us, one of the Forum’s members coined the phrase ‘sealed for death’ which is much closer to the truth.

A ‘dicky’ solenoid is also a possibility, but the starting in first does seem to me that there may not be sufficient fluid in the box.

Either way, get it sorted, or start saving for a replacement gearbox.. Viapa is on the money!

Cheers,

Languid

Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have encountered the same exact issues as described...

First, a few hard shifts in low gears at low speeds. Second, the car free rev's and then noticing a odd noise coming from passenger side of the trans. After locating the chatter of what sounds like a solenoid opening and closing I persued putting the car into sport mode. Instantaniously the noise disappeared. Once disengaging the sport mode the noise would return. After reaching my destination I shut off the car and put the normal mode back on and returned home without issue under normal conditions. Driving real slow it shifted hard again and set off the trans fault amber light.

Thing is I have done the fluid and filter change less than a year ago and only have 94k on the car.

So question is...Could the after market filter/seal kit really draw in air to initiate and hard shift? Or do these solenoids in the 722.6 go out as a common problem.

I am going to double check my fluid levels but I have no leaks and the connector plug was replaced already. Any insight would be appreciated!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having roughly the same issue as pdog. My hard shift comes between 2nd and 3rd (with TRANSMISSION FAULT indicated and "limp home" mode initiated), at low speeds, when the car is at operating or higher temperature. Putting it into Sport mode alleviated these for a while, but it came back.

The only consistent factors I have noticed so far is heat (coolant temp at 230 F with a +/- delta of 10 degrees - Inlet air temp 100 F +/- 15 degrees), time of day (early to late evening), heavy traffic driving during rush hour. Even then, I've had it happen sometimes after dark and in the morning (not often). It seems to be so damned random that I can't nail down any real factors.

I have read that low fluid levels will cause hard shifts at low speeds but I am hoping that is all it is.

Any other help/advice/past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

From doing some digging into other MB forums I found quite possibly the solution to our issue...

As per our symptoms of the tranny shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd at low rpm's regardless of outside temps, the problem seems to lie with the pressure regulator spring. These seem to be common fault and only run a few bucks.

In my case, the car even free rev'd before the torque converter kicked and the Sport mode seemed to relieve the problem but only because it increases an additional rpm's & pressure(if Im wrong let me know) for a more aggressive shift point. And yes, I have done the fluid and filter/seal kit about 10k ago so its not that.

As soon as I get this replaced and done I will repost and let everyone know the outcome.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

my issue with the valve block...i had it replaced at alonso's transmission in miami and the issue was solved...my best advice is find a tranny expert...also read up on the tranny and try to determine what is throwing the codes and errors...i didn't have codes or errors so it took me a while to work through this...if your light is coming on then you can probably narrow it down quicker...see attached for some really really good docs...i called ATSG direct and they gave me the name of alonso's i am sure they can do the same for wherever you live

alonso's transmission
7007 SW 13th Ter
Miami, FL 33144
305-261-6603

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
722.6 diagnostic data.pdf (1.27 MB, 209 views)
The following users liked this post:
wasp69 (08-02-2012)
Old 10-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i have an XJR 2003 and it keeps giving me a hard shift after first.
Happens periodically. Replaced Transmission fluid filter and gasket
still happened. Rev ving high in 2nd up to 3 rpm.
Any advise as to what to look at
other then that got the smog issue delat with now this
the car has been driving beautifully.

The following users liked this post:
Jeremiah Fogel (01-03-2020)
Old 10-16-2019, 05:50 AM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

This is coming up more and more lately it seems.

If you hear that shutter sound and a hard first to second (like banging hard, not the firm cold shifts) your conductor plate has gone wacko. I had the same thing on my 00 VDP SC at 188k and havent seen it since.

That shutter sound is interesting it's the same noise it makes when you go back and forth between sport and normal in park or neutral

Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Default Hard shift Jaquar XJR 2003

It hasn't been making the sound yet!

It ocassionally does a hard shift into 2nd. and i have to pull over.
Should i continue to drive it/ i have a mechanic looking at it right now
he drove it this morning it was fine.

Any suggestions

Originally Posted by p-Rock
This is coming up more and more lately it seems.

If you hear that shutter sound and a hard first to second (like banging hard, not the firm cold shifts) your conductor plate has gone wacko. I had the same thing on my 00 VDP SC at 188k and havent seen it since.

That shutter sound is interesting it's the same noise it makes when you go back and forth between sport and normal in park or neutral

Old 10-18-2019, 10:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2000 xjr just started doing this the last couple days, goes into transmission fault, I have to turn the car off then re-start. Does it with and without Sport Mode, tranny was replaced 10k ago, car has 117, xxx, this glitch is the only issue.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:05 PM

I have recently experienced a hard shift into 2nd gear when it is cold a couple times - 2004 xj8 47k miles, cause for concern?