XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2003 XJR Should I run away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 XJR Should I run away?

I apologize for the duplicate post, new to the forum and unsure of what should go where??!

With a 4.0l supercharger. Are these decent cars or scarey buckets that should be avoided- generally speaking. I'm looking at one with 178000 kms or 110miles. It is spotless in/out and under. I've been a gm tech for many years but unfamiliar with jags and what they are famous for (carnage). I never thought I would look at a jag, but this car is gorgeous, Thank you (feel free to ask me gm questions too).

P.S. I don't know what the price is yet, just want to know generally what these are bad for!!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an 01 XJR in Toronto, and its a blast. I would not run from a car that has been loved. Something tells me that you are looking at the Burgundy one at the classic car auction this weekend. Being a 2003 you don't have to worry about the normal problems like the tensioners and it has the Mercedes transmission so no worries there. Great car, though if you are looking at the one in the show it did show a few signs of rust but minor. I will be there again tomorrow, so if you want me to go through the car with you just pm me and we can try and work something out.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

This is the proper section. I will delete the other posts for you.

Take a look at the top of the section for the X308 buyer's guide.

The primary area of concern is the secondary cam chain tensioners. Although, a 2003 should already have the 3rd gen metal tensioners. The engine is a interference engine, so bent valves is a distinct possibility if the chain breaks. Replacing the tensioners is well within your abilities. Other than that, it's mostly change all fluids on acquisition and check for suspension bushing wear. There are a *lot* of bushings and the car has 173k on it.

The SC version of that year has the bulletproof Merc 5 speed automatic.

Is it a trade-in?

Old 04-13-2013, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the replies
Yes winks, that's the one, I guess it was you I was talking to today.
It's at an auction and a dealer, so history, trade in etc will be a mystery. Maybe a couple owners or many and had the crap kicked out of it..it's an auction. As such, I can't really get a good look at it like I normally would (long drive to verify no overheat from heads or gaskets), trans operation, noises etc...
Not going to bash anyone or cars, just voicing concerns..

Old 04-13-2013, 08:39 PM

Mercedes trade in I was told

Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 PM

I did not speak to anyone about the car today. There is always a risk at an auction so try and let the car do the talking with a bit of detective work. I had purchased my XJR at that show. As you know there are a few individuals that are dishonest and false advertise there vehicles. i.e. that poor 850 with the alpina sticker and advertised as a real alpina. You know the risks, make sure you go to the office and check for any vehicle branding or if the car is fit.
The offer is still on the table just send me a message and I will try and walk you through the car. We have a few local XJR's and there is always room for more.

The following users liked this post:
gmguy (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM

Great, thanks winks. I guess we'll see what it goes for.. It's pretty but I'm not going to sell the farm for it..!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

theyre the best of the model as long as there are not any issues like tires, brakes, suspension etc..... Theyre pretty good cars

Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmguy
I apologize for the duplicate post, new to the forum and unsure of what should go where??!

With a 4.0l supercharger. Are these decent cars or scarey buckets that should be avoided- generally speaking. I'm looking at one with 178000 kms or 110miles. It is spotless in/out and under. I've been a gm tech for many years but unfamiliar with jags and what they are famous for (carnage). I never thought I would look at a jag, but this car is gorgeous, Thank you (feel free to ask me gm questions too).

P.S. I don't know what the price is yet, just want to know generally what these are bad for!!
avoid

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Received 239 Likes on 168 Posts

A late-model XJR is the least risky of the X308 Jags-provided it's been looked after & not ragged by a yahoo who hasn't serviced it properly. The XJR's can run to very high mileages-I've got 150k miles on my 2001 XJR & have a friend with 220k miles on his 2000 XJR.

As with any car though-buy a bad one that's not been looked after & you're probably in for a whole heap of trouble. A good late-model XJR that's been properly looked after is a joy to own & they're less troublesome than the early XJ8's...

Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by gmguy
Thanks for the replies
Yes winks, that's the one, I guess it was you I was talking to today.
It's at an auction and a dealer, so history, trade in etc will be a mystery. Maybe a couple owners or many and had the crap kicked out of it..it's an auction. As such, I can't really get a good look at it like I normally would (long drive to verify no overheat from heads or gaskets), trans operation, noises etc...
Not going to bash anyone or cars, just voicing concerns..
do some due diligence. run the carfax or whichever service is used in Canada to analyze vehicle history. get the vin# and try to get history from jaguar through the local dealer. look for tell tale signs of body work or rough interior.

personally, i would prefer to by the car directly from the owner. this way you can get an idea of who and how took care of the car. there's a reason why its at the auction and not on the used car front line.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

we bought my wife's 03 and i thought i had made a huge mistake...

i have had a few repairs.... front wheel bearing, brakes, parking brakes, alternator, thermostat, door lock actuator and knock sensors, battery and had to replace a lot of cooked wiring from a short in the seat adjustment wire, and two haf shaft joints..

electrical are ford, so not too bad...

the alternator and wheel bearing were a major pita... alternator has terrible access..wheel bearing needed an expensive special tool and a 3/4 impact gun to remove the wheel sensor ring...

although i have a love hate with the car, i think they are goo bargains for the price. great cars.

now that i have everything worked out on it i again love it...

Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 PM

fyi did not get to see it cross the block but she did sell for around 6 grand

Old 04-21-2013, 06:02 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by yardpro
we bought my wife's 03 and i thought i had made a huge mistake...

i have had a few repairs.... front wheel bearing, brakes, parking brakes, alternator, thermostat, door lock actuator and knock sensors, battery and had to replace a lot of cooked wiring from a short in the seat adjustment wire, and two haf shaft joints..

electrical are ford, so not too bad...

the alternator and wheel bearing were a major pita... alternator has terrible access..wheel bearing needed an expensive special tool and a 3/4 impact gun to remove the wheel sensor ring...

although i have a love hate with the car, i think they are goo bargains for the price. great cars.

now that i have everything worked out on it i again love it...

Normal service issues on a ten year old car i would say...

Now you can buy these classic beauty's for a fraction of the new price ..