XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2003 xjr x308 complete radio update advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2003 xjr x308 complete radio update advice

Dear Sirs, wanting to update 2003 x308 xjr radio. willing to disconnect boot cd player. Want any, and all, advice. I would like a new head unit , that has at least the following .... Touch screen ,navigation, blue tooth capabilities, and any other cool features now available..
Have done some preliminary research.. Nothing out there will fit the existing bezel , with out massive custom mod to the radio consol..and or sheet metal work..

Any specs or pictures of an updated entertainment package that does not
involve major destruction of the console infrastructure? I would like plug and play so that I can update( with out *******izing anything 0..( WOULD LIKE replacement OPTION back to stock when I sell...

Thanks be patient with me ,first post....

Last edited by jaboobandit; 02-18-2016 at 11:50 AM. Reason: job is complete
Old 02-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Head Unit : I went w/ Kenwood DPX501BT
Speakers : Rockford Fosgate P165 6.5" 2-ways w/ ported 12' Memphis Audio Sub & amp in trunk.

Sounds awesome.

The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
jaboobandit (02-18-2016), Jennifer S Flavell (02-19-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
Old 02-19-2016, 02:07 AM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Charles,
Could one buy just the head unit and be able to wire it all properly so steering wheel controls work? ie, if I bought the kenwood unit and brought it to an car audio place to install could they do that and everything would work or does it require lots of work arounds?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:08 AM

RE: Replacing factory radio with aftermarket unit. Both Alpine and Kenwood make
a Head unit (radio) to steering wheel interface module. It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes(some are plug and play) depending on your specific make and model ... Several other companies make universal modules as well...No matter how many controls you have on your steering wheel , there is a product to interface all of the buttons ..If you have ever successfully installed a custom car stereo/speakers ,you should be able to handle this... Kenwood and alpine have charts on there sites which interfaces have plug and play capabilities.... The universal ones have never given me a problem, when properly installed.

The following users liked this post:
Jennifer S Flavell (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 PM

Any could stereo shop will be able to install A (upper end head unit), / kenwood or any other expense unit..with steering wheel controls...
They might not like the fact that you shopped around for a cheap internet price...but
These stereo shops , have to lay out a ton of capital , to install nifty displays, in the show room...

ASK for references.. Any custom shop ... no what their speciality, will be more than glad to provide ref,s, and some pics, of their workmanship. You can some times have a great install done for less than you think.. just ask for an estimate....if you like their refs.. and price ... have them do the job.... Whats your TIME WORTH /PER hour.. Have them do the install, and if you go somewhere reputable , they will be there if you have tech . problems...

Old 02-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jennifer S Flavell
Charles,
Could one buy just the head unit and be able to wire it all properly so steering wheel controls work? ie, if I bought the kenwood unit and brought it to an car audio place to install could they do that and everything would work or does it require lots of work arounds?
Yes there is an adapter that most audio shops would have that will enable you to keep your steering wheel controls(if I recall correctly mine was $20). There's a bit of "work around" that's best handled by one schooled in the craft, so any reputable spot would be able to handle this install like cake, as did mine.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:21 PM

What about the extra space around the unit, the bezel I guess you would say. Where do I get one of those to fit the existing area with head unit inside?

Old 02-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Default re: steering wheel interface

What about the extra space around the unit, the bezel I guess you would say. Where do I get one of those to fit the existing area with head unit inside?
Of the 4 or 5 units I have worked with (separately purchased interfaces)..Some come with a plug that fits directly into the rear of the head unit, when they are of the same manufacturer. Then there are a series of leads from the interface unit that are color coded as per the directions.. These wires will be spliced into the wires from the steering wheel interface from the factory radio unit. Wiring schematics for every known car radio made are readily available online.. The schematics will define which of some of the many din plugs on the back interface with steering wheel. Some high end double din (two stack units ) come with a bunch of extra harnesses. and some times they can work (after splicing )out of the box. All of the brand unified interfaces , and the after market units , have very specific directions ( color code charts ,and very helpful web help) on the proper identification, and pairing of wires..
I have yet to see an interface unit that did not have an ample wiring harness length on both sides, as to place the unit near or far from the head unit. These are not complicated, installs. Do not be sold a bill of good at any stereo shop about an upgrade charge ..Its usually part of the package now a days , being that even basic pick ups have some contols on the steering wheel..good luck

Jennifer S Flavell (02-20-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Head Unit : I went w/ Kenwood DPX501BT
Speakers : Rockford Fosgate P165 6.5" 2-ways w/ ported 12' Memphis Audio Sub & amp in trunk.

Sounds awesome.

How did you get that to fit? I thought the opening was only single DIN.

Thanks
-Mike

Old 02-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

The shop will have the proper kit &/or modify one to work for you. I recommend Pro Audio 1902 Highland Ave, Augusta, GA 30904.

Originally Posted by TXE36
How did you get that to fit? I thought the opening was only single DIN.
It was done professionally, my install guy did not make any indication that it was overly complicated.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:32 PM

JVC KD-R870BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

This is the unit I am thinking of getting as it has Siri voice recognition to use with my iPhone 6.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:13 PM

Make sure you are not going to get clipped for the adapter for the steering interface..
Add up the cost of the radio and adapter and see if there is an upgrade to a unit that comes with the wheel interface included... Other than that looks good and seems reasonably priced .. Good luck, and I hope it works and sounds great!!!

Old 02-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 1,320 Posts

JVC KD-R870BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

This is the unit I am thinking of getting as it has Siri voice recognition to use with my iPhone 6.
Hey Jennifer, here's a link to PAC AUDIO volume steering control interface for your stereo you want to get.... iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
I have this in my Grand Caravan with my Clarion unit and it works great. I have one for the Jag, but mine having the premium stereo with the VDP, the wire color is different and I haven't gotten into the steering column to trace it and finish the install. Yours should not be a problem, I believe its the Red/White wire.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

jaboobandit, here's my Clarion NZ 503. I used 1/2" Lexan and painted it black from behind to give the finish depth. The device on the top left is my TPMS. The unit isn't in tight (which would hide that top area where I cut it out) because I am rerunning my satellite radio antenna to the back deck. For the screen to come out, the car has to be in gear. I have SiriusXM and hid it under the center council insert (fits tight, fits right) and brought the USB link into the corner of the center council insert so any of my attachments can be hidden in the council to prevent theft.

Last edited by Highhorse; 02-20-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:44 PM

Ok, this is getting frustrating. Went to Pro Audio, they down righted refused to do it.
Then went to Xtreme Audio. They said they could do it but they would have to bypass my rear amplifier speaker altogether, replace the other alpine speakers with all new ones and it would cost upwards of $1000!
Charles, where are you in NC, would perhaps be worth it to drive up and use your guy....lol

Old 02-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, this is getting frustrating. Went to Pro Audio, they down righted refused to do it.
Then went to Xtreme Audio. They said they could do it but they would have to bypass my rear amplifier speaker altogether, replace the other alpine speakers with all new ones and it would cost upwards of $1000!
Charles, where are you in NC, would perhaps be worth it to drive up and use your guy....lol
Pro Audio refused you really ?! They did an associate's Jaguar in Dec. did they give you any reasoning ,I may have to check into that.

New Bern N.C. I use Street Sounds IV Inc.
(252) 672-8895 ask for Albert Gray(owner/operator), so far they've done two X308s for me.

Last edited by King Charles; 02-20-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:55 PM

Refusal reasons was there is no kit premade. That the bottom of the bezel is curved. And finally, they are too busy to do custom jobs.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Jennifer, is that the one down off Washington by Rheinhart's?

Old 02-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Refusal reasons was there is no kit premade. That the bottom of the bezel is curved. And finally, they are too busy to do custom jobs.
I'm sure the owner, whom I know will be interested in knowing that they are turning down custom jobs. Only thing I can tell you is to research your area shops IE reviews,business longevity etc. & call them. The guys I use thrive on custom work & have never batted an eye @ any of my requests.

FYI : I paid 860$, mind you mine was the entire system(head unit,all cabin speakers,sub woofer,box & amp) as well as headliner replacement & sunroof re-seating/tracking. They had the car for 7 hours.

Last edited by King Charles; 02-20-2016 at 03:08 PM.