XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking 308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay

I am a newbie here, already learning a lot about my recently acquired 1999 XJR. I am excited to have this fantastic machine, a step up from my beloved 2002 Lincoln LS.

The stereo is nice, but old school, particularly on the head, and unfortunately no one seemed to offer a nice faceplate to make the install clean, and members here resorted to making their own. That was too much for me.

However, the situation has changed. There is a fellow in San Diego who has made a suitable solution, which he is offering at $49, with instructions. Seems like a decent chap, responsive and helpful. If interested take "title" line of this post, change "308" to "Jaguar" and do an ebay search and he should come up. If not, here is his email; greg@hardtofindradiodashkits.com.

I am not affiliated with him in any way, except a soon to be customer. I am new here, and based on my research, thought this might be of interest. I like helping people, and this helps Greg out too, so win/win.

I look forward to my Jag experience!

FYI - 99K miles, clean as a whistle, gold w/white, water pump changed, I am doing the tensioners on day one. Everything maintained.

The following 3 users liked this post by michaeldeanrogers:
Duke Thrust (03-03-2011), lukie (08-19-2013), Stu 1986 (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Freaking awesome If I dont sell my Vanden Plas, I am getting one of those! I would probably be interested in a double din though.

The following users liked this post:
lukie (08-19-2013)
Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Just looked at this, I thought the before picture was the after and the after the before. This looks terrible.

Should be called the rice-a-Brit-kit!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Granted, it does not look as good as some retrofit kits, or the radio that comes with it, but it was explained to me the shape of the radio does not allow the radio to be centered, as there is stuff in the way anywhere above the bottom position where it sits. That is why a 2 Din solution is not possible.

The advantages of a standard 1 din option are the many features we miss in today's tech; bluetooth integration with A2DP MP3 streaming, MP3 CD, DVD (I am getting one with a screen and installing the backup camera), USB port, SD card, yada yada. I was going to install a Parrot, but if I am listening to radio, it would not take the audio from my phone GPS and mute the stock stereo. Plus, the audio performance of most aftermarket units will blow the stock stereo away. There are so many reasons I want a modern utensil in there that I will live with the somewhat spartan appearance of this offering. If there is anything better, PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
Just looked at this, I thought the before picture was the after and the after the before. This looks terrible.

Should be called the rice-a-Brit-kit!
Thats a bit harsh isn't it? At least someone is making the effort to produce something seeing as some home made efforts look totally naff. I think it would look better without the leaper logo on it, I wonder if they can do it without that?

It is a shame a double Din isn't an after market option on these cars because of whats behind the factory stereo.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Stu, I just asked that question of the fellow. It appears to be a pad print, and if we can get it clean it would provide a place to put other options, perhaps a power outlet, switch, etc. or our choice of emblem.

I do note that I am considering the single din stereos with a power 7" LCD screen that projects above the stereo. These can do GPS, play DVDs, backup camera, etc. and is a touch screen for advanced setup and other functions. Having the extra space above the unit, and that it curves back, allows for the screen to be tilted back for better viewing. Most of the time the screen would stay nested inside, and would look like a conventional 1 din. Not sure, may go standard without the big screen, but it is tempting.

I will post when I get Greg's response.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Thumbs up

Available with, our without, leaper!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldeanrogers
Available with, our without, leaper!
That is good news! I am giving serious thought to switching to this system. I wonder if I would still be able to use my steering wheel stereo controls if I installed an after market stereo? I do like the convenience of them.

I too am thinking of a 7 inch screen system but I would not have the reversing camera as I'd have very little use for such a thing. The DVD player would be handy though as would the other features these systems offer.

I wonder also if he ships to the UK? It doesn't mention on the ebay page but that is where I am located.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 PM

I ordered mine, without leaper, shipping today.

Stu, use the email address and ask Greg directly. Like I said, he is responsive and will get back to you promptly. I think it likely he would ship directly to the UK as he wants to sell these things, but if not, I could be possible way station if needed. I am sure he will have to charge a bit more for postage, but that is not unreasonable.

The camera is for my wife.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

For X and S type, 2001+

looks like a molded unit
22.99 GBP

seller dynamicsounds00

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-X-Type-...item519574ea00

Last edited by plums; 03-01-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked on the USPS website and it looks like $14.00 shipping to the UK.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe should have offered more info there. I'm the guy who designed and sells the dash kits for the 98-03 XJ8, as michaeldeanrogers has so graciously mentioned to everyone here. Stu 1986 had asked if these could be shipped to the UK. I haven't yet buy was able to ascertain a quote, as above. Be happy to answer any other questions.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Welcome greg, I think its a good niche you found with that faceplate. Good for you.

There isn't that many 'colors' of jaguar interior for that series of 308s, have you considered adding an option for 'leather trim'? You could purchase some various matching leather pieces (wouldn't take much to do several and keep a little onhand) and offer it wrapped. Its a good design, but to me, with the new single DIN radio, that leaves alot of empty blackness above the unit. Putting a USB port, or something else in that space as mentioned above by the new owner, granted would be very functional, but just wouldn't look right in my opinion. Anyway, just an idea. I'll have some scraps from from my 03's DOVE interior after the new leather skins are installed, and I have an all black seat back that i'd be willing to donate to the cause, if you're willing to try that route. Just let me know.

PS, to use your PM to make contact, you'll have to get your post count up to 10 and post for another 2 days before all restrictions are lifted.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Now that is an interesting idea, Waterboy. I think I may try the same thing on my own, or if that fails, take it to a leather shop. I am still thinking about adding a power receptacle (or two) up there, but with leather added, I'm not so sure. It IS a good place to add a switch, light, port, or whatever. This will require some thought...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Thats a bit harsh isn't it?
Perhaps, but in my genuine opinion it looks really ghetto and the leaper looks straight out of the car-wash checkout counter (yes, I realize it is available without it too)

h20boy had the winning idea that would turn "doo-rag" into "go-Jag!" - cover it in matching leather - should be easy as I think there were only two colors for the X308s...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 AM

Got the adapter plate, and it was well designed, and more substantial than it appeared in the photo. It is over 1/2" thick, and recessed on the back to make the final install look clean. Well documented with step by step instructions and pictures for every step. The original stereo appears to have been a single DIN affair by the look of it. Some minor cutting and drilling/modification necessary to pull it off, but seems straight forward. Thumbs up so far.

While you could add stuff above, the thick panel would not make that as simple as it would seem, at least for a power outlet that requires a fairly thin mounting plate. Still could be done, but would take some thought.

Leather shop, next stop. Once I get this where I want it, I'll figure out how to post a picture.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hey michael , you can check in FAQs regarding posting pics

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...aysprune=&f=18

Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

It would be great to see some pics from the side, rear, etc, AND something showing the space available behind the upper, empty portion of the face plate.

I would love to try to add several small diameter gauges that the 308 is, to my dismay, missing... Oil Pressure, Volt meter, and a temperature gauge with a sensor somewhere that really works would be fantastic.

The 1 1/2" Equus gauge set (they remove from the bezel) below match the clock pretty well... Can't you just see it? Apologies for my amateur Photoshop capabilities.

What ARE the dimensions of the blank area?

Attached Thumbnails 308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-radio-plate.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-equus-6100-1.5-inch-triple-gauge.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-panel-gauges.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by QuadManiac; 03-05-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Looking forward to a final pic or two, I love projects like these.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

You said amateur but the pics look professional
That's a cool project in every way

Quick Reply: 308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay