XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

575HP LS3 Swapped Jaguar XJ8L

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I read about this car the other day in a kit car magazine in awe: Ultima Evolution unveiled with 1020bhp | Evo

950kg with 1020hp and a power to weight ratio of 1073hp per tonne. All made using a supercharged 6.8 litre LS engine. These are the performance specs:

0-60mph: 2.3 secs
0-100mph: 4.9 secs
30-70mph: 1.5 secs
0-150mph: 8.9 secs
0-100-0 mph: 8.8 secs
Standing quarter mile: 9.2 secs @ 156mph
Top speed: 240+ mph (gearing limited)

Old 04-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
Not sure how he intends to get this lump through an emissions test.

Sorry, not a fan of 1950s technology, low revving, pushrod engines of any type. The engine belongs in some 1960s GM resto-mod.
Please show me one factory engine from the 1950's that was making the same power as an LS3 and I'll consider your opinion valid. Also, low revving? What is the red line of that Jag's factory engine compared to the LS3?

The truth is, there is a beauty in simplicity. Who cares how the valves are opened and closed? Air and fuel is ingested, compressed, ignited and exhausted. As long as it looks cool, sounds great and makes good power, I for one won't hold my pinky nor nose up at it.

The following users liked this post:
primaz (04-05-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

I know the redline is less than 7k on the 4.2 V-8. I have honestly thought of doing something like this power wise, but even deciding to plunk down the money, while the 4.2 doesn't make +500 horsepower, an LSX motor is far from smooth at idle. I love the 4.2 as a daily driver, but as a secondary car turned into a toy I'd have a hard time not wanting to do this.

I had a late model GTO. It was an amazing car and worlds more advanced than an older Camaro, but with the stock cam and 550rpm idle it shook like a drag car at a stoplight. I daily drove that for 7 years and loved every minute of it. The XJ is more my style these days though.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Eaton M112 is fine, you just need two of them, enough displacement, E85 and you are fine. This local family wagon is good sample and as you can see a quite famous US raggar wondering what's going on there.....
1300Nm at 2800rpm and still very low boost.... The owner has four street cars totally about 5000hp.

Attached Thumbnails 575HP LS3 Swapped Jaguar XJ8L-buick_1.jpg  

Last edited by XJR-99; 04-02-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Nice build..

But me being a old school Ford guy, I'd really like the sound of a built FE
in my XJR... It's the only think I miss about this car..
http://vid101.photobucket.com/albums...s/100_1267.mp4

Old 04-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

+1 convincor

Old 04-03-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Overblown
Please show me one factory engine from the 1950's that was making the same power as an LS3 and I'll consider your opinion valid. Also, low revving? What is the red line of that Jag's factory engine compared to the LS3?

The truth is, there is a beauty in simplicity. Who cares how the valves are opened and closed? Air and fuel is ingested, compressed, ignited and exhausted. As long as it looks cool, sounds great and makes good power, I for one won't hold my pinky nor nose up at it.
It is 1950s technology, plain and simple. I do not believe I ever said it was made in the 1950s. The AJ-V8 can certainly produce higher RPM, but is limited due to desired longevity and the accessories being driven.

I do care how the valves open and close when there can be fewer moving parts. If you like pushrod engines, you could simply buy something produced by FCA or GM and save a considerable amount of money.

In the near future, camshafts will vanish while FCA and GM will not doubt still be firmly stuck in the 1950s.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

That's a bit weird... just last night a read an article about solenoid operated valves replacing camshafts!

Old 04-03-2016, 02:41 PM

They did some time ago in Formula 1 as a spring would not work at 18M rpm. Valve actuation can be electro-hydraulic, hydraulic or pneumatic.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
andrew lowe (04-03-2016), Panthro (10-26-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

NBCat...what do you think of Formula E? Technically said, there may be no limitation in regards to speed, except with tire wear and driver ability to absorb the G's. Your talking minimal pit stops or even none, depending on the course.
No more high pitched screaming motors, no concern about valve float, cams or fuel windows. Just the eerie whine of that motor and the roll of the tire on the surface. I myself just can't contemplate auto racing without the rumble/harmonic sound of a combustion engine.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Highhorse, I understand your feelings about the sounds and smells of racing, and I agree, but remember racing is about going as fast as possible.

Perhaps racing fans of the future will become excited about Formula E even without the emotional and thrilling sounds we have all come to expect and love about automotive racing.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Sound was for me a big part as well for the excitement of watching a F1 race, now if I don't forget I track the progress of a race on my iPhone. I do miss the gold old days with the engine sounds and the commentary of Murray Walker, that's when I stayed at home for it to watch. Times change, heck I am even interested in the robot Formula E race cars (and matches with human drivers), but not something I would stay at home for anymore.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 PM

It is 1950s technology, plain and simple. I do not believe I ever said it was made in the 1950s. The AJ-V8 can certainly produce higher RPM, but is limited due to desired longevity and the accessories being driven.

I do care how the valves open and close when there can be fewer moving parts. If you like pushrod engines, you could simply buy something produced by FCA or GM and save a considerable amount of money.

In the near future, camshafts will vanish while FCA and GM will not doubt still be firmly stuck in the 1950s.
Lot's of great things started in the 50's. I and most hot rodders are cool with that. You say it like it's a bad thing. We, on the other hand, love it and think it's a good thing. Until our "old school" engines can't make the same amount or more power as the OHC's, I don't see the problem. Most of the world can't even keep up with a car that uses pushrods and leaf springs and costs multiple times less. No denying that!

Plus, like you said, it's about going as fast as possible!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Great car!

That is a very impressive build! The GM LS V8 engines are just amazing. Those engines not only achieve incredible horsepower but they are so tough as they easily go to 250,000 to 300,000 miles with no mechanical issues, a lot better than most other engines. I agree who cares about mileage when you are building a supercar sedan but they will get reasonable 14-20 mpg depending on how you build it.

My 3.8s only has 450 HP at the flywheel but it is enough to pull 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. My 3.8s is more of a sleeper as it is an automatic and I purposely used a quieter Magnaflow setup so while part of me is jealous of that sound part of me likes that my car is more of a stealthy sleeper. I have sports cars for my real need for speed so that is why I left my car an auto to keep it looking stock even down to the shifter. Thanks for posting that video as that is a very cool car. I know in Jaguar circles there are haters of non-stock Jags but to me I love restomods like that car! That car looks so clean and the performance is amazing. For me the only thing out of place is the rims.

Last edited by primaz; 04-04-2016 at 09:16 PM.
JagSTR2004 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by primaz
That is a very impressive build! The GM LS V8 engines are just amazing. Those engines not only achieve incredible horsepower but they are so tough as they easily go to 250,000 to 300,000 miles with no mechanical issues, a lot better than most other engines. I agree who cares about mileage when you are building a supercar sedan but they will get reasonable 14-20 mpg depending on how you build it.

My 3.8s only has 450 HP at the flywheel but it is enough to pull 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. My 3.8s is more of a sleeper as it is an automatic and I purposely used a quieter Magnaflow setup so while part of me is jealous of that sound part of me likes that my car is more of a stealthy sleeper. I have sports cars for my real need for speed so that is why I left my car an auto to keep it looking stock even down to the shifter. Thanks for posting that video as that is a very cool car. I know in Jaguar circles there are haters of non-stock Jags but to me I love restomods like that car! That car looks so clean and the performance is amazing. For me the only thing out of place is the rims.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Wait until the day we are all inundated with the screaming silence of the electric motor. The lost rumble of the combustion motor, no matter push rod or overhead cam, will be lost to the eerie silence of the massive torque ridden propulsion devices where the only noise you'll hear is the sound of its rolling tires. Look out piston world, Tesla is making quiet noise and movies like Demolition Man will become reality.
Until then, enjoy the throaty rev up and decelerating report that induces a pulse racing rumble from that combustion motor.
Rev on motor heads.....Rev on...
I got the thumbs up in my dead heat with a Tesla Model S last month as we raced off a stop light and both realized after we got to 120 mph that it was a dead heat and us white collar adults better slow it down before they take our license away. I think I need to boost my HP from 450 to something more so I can leave that dam electric car in the dust next time

Old 04-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by primaz
I got the thumbs up in my dead heat with a Tesla Model S last month as we raced off a stop light and both realized after we got to 120 mph that it was a dead heat and us white collar adults better slow it down before they take our license away. I think I need to boost my HP from 450 to something more so I can leave that dam electric car in the dust next time
The thing about those electric cars is they have pretty much limitless torque, kind of like a diesel. They just need to control it to get that power to the ground and transition it through the power drive.
I think I made the mistake of putting a ZZ3 in my Vette, it has 350 ft lbs of torque and I can't keep the tail from chasing the front as of yet without peddling. But I may have a solution, I just got 11" rims for her and once I decide on some shoes for her, I may tame her yet. I need to modify the suspension to get them to fit, but I will get them to fit.
I ran a Lexus 460 a few years ago with my Jag and lost him around 100, but I kept pulling up to 155. After I realized how fast I was going, I had that lost license sense also. Though I recently had her at 130 when I spotted the speed constable at a distance when a Porsche 911 GTS and I were playing.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:56 PM

Lot's of great things started in the 50's. I and most hot rodders are cool with that. You say it like it's a bad thing. We, on the other hand, love it and think it's a good thing. Until our "old school" engines can't make the same amount or more power as the OHC's, I don't see the problem. Most of the world can't even keep up with a car that uses pushrods and leaf springs and costs multiple times less. No denying that!

If you like ancient technology, I applaud your confidence. I spent enough time working with newer technologies to know there are better, more efficient and less polluting ways to produce power.

If you like a horse-drawn carriage style suspension that bounces on irregular road surfaces, I applaud your bravery.

We are witnessing the end of the life cycle for the internal combustion engine, in whatever guise you feel comfortable having in your vehicle.

Not sure who 'most of the world' is that cannot keep up with your cars as I know of quite a few; especially around the corners and down the straights at Le Mans.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:08 PM

If you like ancient technology, I applaud your confidence. I spent enough time working with newer technologies to know there are better, more efficient and less polluting ways to produce power.

If you like a horse-drawn carriage style suspension that bounces on irregular road surfaces, I applaud your bravery.

We are witnessing the end of the life cycle for the internal combustion engine, in whatever guise you feel comfortable having in your vehicle.

Not sure who 'most of the world' is that cannot keep up with your cars as I know of quite a few; especially around the corners and down the straights at Le Mans.
Well then my friend, in that case, get to clapping! Make it loud too please. Really, really loud.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

The AJ V8 cannot compare to the GM LS V8's in terms of horsepower and reliability, the bottom line is that 575 HP LS Jaguar is one cool ride and that power plant is just plain hard to beat. Look at my GM LS with very minor modifications such as cam, computer, headers, and the engine is already at 450 HP and is a reliable daily driver. The GM LS engines are incredibly reliable, powerful, and a great value; yes it is not a Jaguar engine but it is one dam impressive engine which is why there are so many used in restomods.

Overblown I agree with you and most everyone else on this thread, that car is cool and is an amazing ride.

JagSTR2004 (04-05-2016)