XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

575HP LS3 Swapped Jaguar XJ8L

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by primaz
The AJ V8 cannot compare to the GM LS V8's in terms of horsepower and reliability, the bottom line is that 575 HP LS Jaguar is one cool ride and that power plant is just plain hard to beat. Look at my GM LS with very minor modifications such as cam, computer, headers, and the engine is already at 450 HP and is a reliable daily driver. The GM LS engines are incredibly reliable, powerful, and a great value; yes it is not a Jaguar engine but it is one dam impressive engine which is why there are so many used in restomods.

Overblown I agree with you and most everyone else on this thread, that car is cool and is an amazing ride.
100%

The following users liked this post:
primaz (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:02 AM
Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by primaz
The AJ V8 cannot compare to the GM LS V8's in terms of horsepower and reliability, the bottom line is that 575 HP LS Jaguar is one cool ride and that power plant is just plain hard to beat. Look at my GM LS with very minor modifications such as cam, computer, headers, and the engine is already at 450 HP and is a reliable daily driver. The GM LS engines are incredibly reliable, powerful, and a great value; yes it is not a Jaguar engine but it is one dam impressive engine which is why there are so many used in restomods.

Overblown I agree with you and most everyone else on this thread, that car is cool and is an amazing ride.

I agree and think NBCat must too in relation to the power of the LS V8's as he seems to be focussing on the fuel consumption and emissions, as well as it using pushrods instead of on overhead cam. Realistically, anyone driving a supercharged AJV8 and modifying it for performance isn't going to be too concerned about fuel consumption, the same as one with a 6.2 litre LS. I strongly believe that something being old doesn't prevent it from doing the job required and much prefer many older cars to those with the newest technology which doesn't necessarily always make them better from an enthusiast's standpoint.

As someone who has modified their AJ33S over the last few years searching for more power with the commonly used bolt-ons, I know that the 488whp achieved by the driver of the LS3 XJR is only something that I could dream of with similar mild upgrades despite the fact I have the advantage of a supercharger stock. The bottom line is that the LS3 offers a different league of performance and a better base to start modifying than the AJ27 and AJ33 which make 290bhp and 300bhp naturally aspirated respectively. I think the car in the video will prove to be very popular too, it already has over 200k views in 5 days and 7k likes, with 66 dislikes.

Your car sounds really cool, would love to see some pictures of it! I think it would be a lot harder for myself to do such a swap with all the electronics in my car but I still like the idea. Like you though, I have another vehicle which my STR would not be able to compete with in performance even with a built engine and TS supercharger so its hard to justify.

Last edited by JagSTR2004; 04-05-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Overblown
Well then my friend, in that case, get to clapping! Make it loud too please. Really, really loud.
I wish you the best of luck 'my friend', so let us just agree to strongly disagree.

Incidentally, I do clap when watching 24 heures du Mans.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Cheers!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by JagSTR2004
I agree and think NBCat must too in relation to the power of the LS V8's as he seems to be focussing on the fuel consumption and emissions, as well as it using pushrods instead of on overhead cam. Realistically, anyone driving a supercharged AJV8 and modifying it for performance isn't going to be too concerned about fuel consumption, the same as one with a 6.2 litre LS. I strongly believe that something being old doesn't prevent it from doing the job required and much prefer many older cars to those with the newest technology which doesn't necessarily always make them better from an enthusiast's standpoint.

As someone who has modified their AJ33S over the last few years searching for more power with the commonly used bolt-ons, I know that the 488whp achieved by the driver of the LS3 XJR is only something that I could dream of with similar mild upgrades despite the fact I have the advantage of a supercharger stock. The bottom line is that the LS3 offers a different league of performance and a better base to start modifying than the AJ27 and AJ33 which make 290bhp and 300bhp naturally aspirated respectively. I think the car in the video will prove to be very popular too, it already has over 200k views in 5 days and 7k likes, with 66 dislikes.

Your car sounds really cool, would love to see some pictures of it! I think it would be a lot harder for myself to do such a swap with all the electronics in my car but I still like the idea. Like you though, I have another vehicle which my STR would not be able to compete with in performance even with a built engine and TS supercharger so its hard to justify.
The LS engines are just hard to beat as a mild engine like mine is at 450 HP and and bigger displacement version, still a small block is 630 HP via a proven with warranty create motor from Mast Performance engine http://www.mastmotorsports.com/view.php?id=525&c=3&s=6
without any supercharger or turbo just normally aspirated fuel injection and if you want to go even more with a supercharger then the Mast Performance create motor will put out 800 HP Mast Motorsports High Performance Powertrain Solutions These engines are all aluminum block and heads so they are very light and in my case less weight than the stock Jag 6

These are modern fuel injection engines computer controlled. It is very hard to beat the LS for power and reliability as the AJ V8 even their "R" version is not even close the HP of a almost stock LS like my engine and that needs a supercharger to get the HP and the Jaguar S type "R" version with that engine only does 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. Also the S type "R" only got 15 mpg in the city and 20 in the highway so not a huge difference. I have seen LS engines with HP's in the low 400 range get 25 MPG but I agree when you are trying to get the most HP who cares about MPG but they still give you 14-18 overall MPG at extreme HP levels.

I am going to build a Nissan twin cam turbo RB skyline engine which I guess many would say is more modern and yes that engine can reliably get up to 800 HP but the issue is that LS engines are so prevalent the cost of this engine like other so called modern engines will be two to three times the cost. To me the LS is a modern version of the old V8's but it is fuel injected, gets decent MPG, super reliable, gobs of HP, and they are so prevalent they are one of the cheapest highest HP engines today.

I am very happy with my LS1 as it is a daily driven sedan that is reliable and just a blast to drive. I have put over 40,000 miles in the first year and half since the car is done and the original Jag engine would never do that reliably. Everyone has their own taste and views which is fine, for me I love this video of this car and restomods done right as it takes the classic body and modernizes it with current technology. I have rear view camera, power steering, full coil overs, electric leather seats, air conditioning, LED lights, and all of the modern features in a classic Jag and it is a blast to drive.

Last edited by primaz; 04-05-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't you just hate those ancient engine designs?

The following users liked this post:
JagSTR2004 (04-10-2016)