XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 xj Vanden Plas; crazy windshield wiper

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nilanium
The very end of the link I posted gives a detailed rundown of what data is transferred around in the CAN and SCP networks, what modules sends/receives what data, and so on.

Your fans should also kick onto high when the aircon compressor is clutched on - if you have AC turned on and the fans never run, there could be something else going on aside from the temp sensor. Likely the motors are burned out or wiring or fan relays. The fan panel is easy to take out, and you can just feed the motors 12v and see if they run. If not, get working fans.
Oh. And thank you for the link. I will go back over it

Old 04-14-2017, 04:59 PM

We replaced the BPM today. A lot of things corrected themselves we didn't even realize were amiss. But the wiper is still not right. It has only one speed, still stops where it chooses (driver's side, passenger's side, or straight up and down), and still runs after key has been removed from the ignition.
​​​​​​​any other ideas? Lol

Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

The wiper motor itself? I'm guessing the motor assy has an angle sensor built in, and if that is acting up or the signal is wrong it could cause the wiper to stop in the wrong place. The wiper system is still powered up while the car is off, so that if you turn the car off while the wiper is mid-wipe it completes the wipe, instead of stopping in the middle like on many cars. Maybe the lack of a signal saying the wiper is "at home" is causing it to try and keep wiping until it hits that position.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by nilanium
The wiper motor itself? I'm guessing the motor assy has an angle sensor built in, and if that is acting up or the signal is wrong it could cause the wiper to stop in the wrong place. The wiper system is still powered up while the car is off, so that if you turn the car off while the wiper is mid-wipe it completes the wipe, instead of stopping in the middle like on many cars. Maybe the lack of a signal saying the wiper is "at home" is causing it to try and keep wiping until it hits that position.
Interesting.
I can understand the "looking for home" thing, cause it runs for 15-20 seconds when the key is out.
Probably no chance there's just a sensor to buy and replace....

dang this thing is nickel and dining me to death... only the nickels and dimes have extra 0's lol!!

Old 04-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

I haven't looked at the motor, but I'd guess it's nonserviceable unless you're very handy at servicing things not meant to be serviced, and have the time to do so. Also depending on how the system is wired, you may be able to monitor the position using a voltmeter, but that's one of those things you either know how to do or not, kinda difficult to explain the theory/method in a few sentences.

I don't know if anyone here watches regular car reviews, but in his series III review he calls it boat level nickel and diming. Now the x308 is nowhere near the series III in that sense, but my fridge is starting to accumulate a lot of those rockauto magnets they send out with orders, most of them being 30-50 bucks in small parts.