XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 XJ8 105k - Throttle Body issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 XJ8 105k - Throttle Body issue?

I've had this thing for 5yrs now, only got to put about 28k miles on it from all the BS it pulled. I've been through it all with this thing hah, gets old, even for a 3rd car. Anyone that owns this model knows exactly what i'm talking about

1998 XJ8 105k - bought it in Feb 08 with 77500 on it.

Guides/timing chains replaced 2yrs ago
Aluminum thermostat housing
6 water pumps from motorcars LTD (metal and plastic failed)
Endless amounts of new pulleys as they squealed like a banshee. (after all the BS jaguar parts, ended up getting a $12 chrysler pulley and wow, sh*t works great been over a year)
New updated valve cover - right side

So all you 'certified' jaguar techs out there, answer me this.

We all know they hate cold starting unless you're in the south. My XJ8 takes like 6-7 cranks before it will start in cold weather. Warm weather it pops right on first crank. Low compression or what? It has nikasil lined bores as well, it's a 98. I've pumped 93octane into this thing for 5yrs straight.

First off, throttle body was already replaced in 05 for recall.

That being said, I hadn't drove it for about a week. Went out to turn it on, thing starts over after 6 cranks, it stayed on about 10 seconds then shuts off. Dash says "engine stall", mind you it's in a mere idle 'PARK'. Not the first time either. I've went over this before years ago on here, and was told to clean the throttle body. My certified ASE mechanic did just that back then and the stall went away, but after that I always got a weird shifting issue that many seem to think is the throttle body acting up. It's been doing that since on every blue moon it decides to put itself into engine failsafe mode while driving or even in idle. It has to be a throttle body issue as the car will literally drive itself, yes you heard that right. You can take your foot off the gas and the tachometer keeps creeping up when it gets into this freak mode every once in a while. It happens when it wants, you can turn the key off, turn it back on at times, and drive it right off. That says electrical for sure, we're all thinking throttle body as it's the culprit for that job.

(Background - this happened before last winter 2011, didn't drive it for a week went to start it thing wouldn't turn over. Tech came by said it was 'flat lifters' from not driving it and kept cranking it over pressing the gas. To say the least after about 10-15 mins of that it FINALLY started and kept the idle after coming on and running rough then dieing for about 5 mins. It worked itself out and the idle become regular at 800rpm. Since then it had been somewhat ok, a whole year giving the weird shifting error once a blue moon. It likes to put itself into engine failsafe mode at an idle and when driving it once in a while as well. It's like the thing gets the wrong reading from the throttle body and stays at like 1200k before downshifting from 3rd into 2nd and 1st when you get to a stop sign, you literally have to fight the engine giving throttle by braking harder, where it pops into those gears real quick. After that I always started it up every couple days or so without fail. last week I did not, hence we're i'm at now.)

So what could this be besides the throttle body? My friend says it probably is the throttle body as the thing literally BUZZES with electricity inside (like a bad capacitor on a PC motherboard does) when just the battery is turned on. It's been doing that for about a year now, and it's pretty loud. I mean you can put your hand on the plastic intake tube where it meets the throttle body metal and literally feel the electricity buzzing inside. That can't be good. You can see me pressing the gas as well or it wouldn't even try to turn over.

Question is, could the not starting issue/weird stability control error/engine failsafe mode (both in idle and driving the car), be attributed to a bad throttle body? After my tech cleaned the throttle body years ago it started doing this. It's weird because it'll do it once then not again for a whole quarter of a year then do it again for a few days then stop. It has to be electric as physical parts would not magically just 'come back online'.

I'd LOVE to hear some thoughts of actual certified jaguar techs on here have to say. Everyone I talk to, jaguar dealerships included, seem to be oblivious. I love it.. absolutely hilarious.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solved - No thanks to you lovely shadetree 'techs'. After 5yrs same people same bs hah hilarious. Where's old ken from motorcarsltd? Dude was a complete creep

Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

so what the hell fixed it?????

Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

My God, you're an ***! You'll never get any help, ANYWHERE, with your lovely attitude, dude.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 10-10-2012 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brutal (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

no point in continuuing .. thread closed

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (10-11-2012)